Aircooled.net SVDA

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Aircooled.net SVDA

Post by DjEep » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:03 am

About to order one, finally. I've read all the raves about them on TS, but I wonder if anybody here has had any problems with one?

Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Geri Lou has an odd configuration that for some reason works. 1776 w/ 044 big valve heads, fed by a solitary Bocar 34/4 that never seems to need adjustment. Any reason that the SVDA will throw off the feng shui, or should it only make things better?
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:49 am

What's your current dizzy? If it's an 009, the SVDA should make things better. Remember to connect the vacuum can on the SVDA to the vacuum port on the SIDE of your carb, not the one in the "front" as you're looking straight into the engine compartment.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:20 pm

You're gonna love it. It's like adding another cylinder!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:30 pm

bottomend wrote:You're gonna love it. It's like adding another cylinder!
Depends. Do you have a flat spot currently? SVDA should get rid of it.
Check the vacuum nipple for NO vacuum at idle. I have seen some of the newer carbs have a high-mounted nipple sticking out towards the front with vacuum at idle, you do not want it. The usual location is halfway up facing towards the coil. The feng shui will be improved as your engine basks in the greater attention to its spark curve requirements.
Colin
(p.s. ignition/engine response belongs under engine, so off it goes to Engine Forum)

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:03 pm

I remember setting the timing a little advanced on accident (actually not setting it :blackeye: ) She sure did jump of the line and up those hills for the mile or two I drove it like that. So I'm gonna order one tomorrow. Settled.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:43 pm

I have a spare 205s if you'd rather not drop the $$ on a new SVDA. It's the one out of the GWB. I discovered this morning I have 3 distributors. I only want 2...

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:47 pm

Aside from the flat spot, Geri loves that 009, and from what I've read, the SVDA is a basically a 009 with added vac advance. Plus everyone seems happy with them.
Or maybe I just want a snazzy new one.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:01 pm

You should be very pleased with your purchase. Mine has been a boone to my MPG.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:12 pm

spiffy wrote:You should be very pleased with your purchase. Mine has been a boone to my MPG.
Were you coming from an 009 as well?

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:53 pm

Wasn't coming from a 009, but my 205 was at the end of its useful life....so I probably noticed an exagerated jump.

Still a good product tho.....
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:52 am

ordered and on the way... :bounce:

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:01 am

Why do the instructions say I can't use the compufire from my 009?

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:35 am

DjEep wrote:Why do the instructions say I can't use the compufire from my 009?
Not sure about the Compufire but with the Pertronix they're two different modules. One fits centrifugal only (1847A) and one for the vacuum advance distributors (1847V).
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:30 am

The layout is slightly different between the 009 and the SVDA.

I have a Pertronix Igniter II for 009 that won't fit at all in a vacuum advanced dist. I've tried.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:35 pm

Just a note also...

When aircooled says to readjust the timing after about 2000 miles of driving (or whatever) as the vacuum cansiter has more flexability, just do it. Mine acutally change a the total timing (centrifical and vacuum advance) by about 4º when I checked it.
79 VW Bus