Another Engine Build thread stock type 1 dp (Happy Ending)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Another Engine Build thread stock type 1 dp (Happy Endin

Post by ruckman101 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:17 pm

I hate the break-in. 500 miles seems an eternity for not driving a constant speed. But will be diligent. For the first run I did take it further than last time, running to 30 in second, 50 in third, and up to 70 in fourth a few times, never flooring it, just taking it up there.

Was a bit concerned about the hills, as I have to drop down a good three miles to hit any semblance of flat road, and another seven or eight to hit any real flat stretches. But hey, it is the terrain it will be running. No matter the gear, run up, slow down.

Second oil drop still swirly, apparently as it should be. Parts meet your neighbors. Debuff those burrs.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 07, 2012 3:46 pm

ruckman101 wrote:I hate the break-in. 500 miles seems an eternity for not driving a constant speed. But will be diligent. For the first run I did take it further than last time, running to 30 in second, 50 in third, and up to 70 in fourth a few times, never flooring it, just taking it up there.

Was a bit concerned about the hills, as I have to drop down a good three miles to hit any semblance of flat road, and another seven or eight to hit any real flat stretches. But hey, it is the terrain it will be running. No matter the gear, run up, slow down.

Second oil drop still swirly, apparently as it should be. Parts meet your neighbors. Debuff those burrs.

neal
Buff. Buff those burrs. Drive that car. Let the memories of the mind-melting obstacles recede into the cool mists of the past. How's that orange look? Air filter get it too?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:58 pm

Nope, some glaring inconsistencies on the color scheme. Orange pulley was in the bus. Tin got the treatment because it was rusty. Missed the backing plate on the generator, air cleaner, and those bitty bits that go over the heat riser of the manifold.

The intent was to fight the rust, not necessarily cosmetic. The tang red was $5 for a gallon bought at the Rebuilding Center. It was tang red, or safety yellow.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:28 pm

Hopefully just jitters, but concerns today driving Gretchen Ghia into town and furthering some engine break in. Vibrations I don't like from the engine at higher rpms. Clutch adjust, and idling very high.

neal

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat May 12, 2012 2:25 am

vacuum leak? misfire upper rpm and high idle. retorque all intake joints. if it persists check the head torque under rockers, if loose you may want to check all head nuts.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat May 12, 2012 8:28 am

ruckman101 wrote:Nope, some glaring inconsistencies on the color scheme. Orange pulley was in the bus. Tin got the treatment because it was rusty. Missed the backing plate on the generator, air cleaner, and those bitty bits that go over the heat riser of the manifold.

The intent was to fight the rust, not necessarily cosmetic. The tang red was $5 for a gallon bought at the Rebuilding Center. It was tang red, or safety yellow.

neal

Looks good all cleaned up! Where is the charcoal cannister stuff? Did you rip off the throttle positioner stuff or is it a different carb?
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:40 am

I've never had the charcoal canister stuff. Bought the carb so long ago I don't remember if the throttle positioner stuff was originally on it or not. If it was, I took it off. New Bocar carb that I rebuilt out of the box before application.

Running strong, but at higher rpms it sure doesn't feel buttery smooth. Going to go over things when I get a chance, but it might be a few days as we have a graduation party going on today, a Mother's day brunch tomorrow, and how hot does a generator pulley usually get?

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 14, 2012 7:41 am

ruckman101 wrote:at higher rpms it sure doesn't feel buttery smooth.
how hot does a generator pulley usually get?
neal
Give us more technical description and less Mother's Day details.
Does it vibrate? Sound thrashy? Put hand on fan housing and rev just off idle, do you get a brief period of vibration around 1,200 rpm? Does it vibrate more and more in a linear fashion up towards 3,000 rpm?

Remember the vibration issues I had with Chloe?

Generator should not be especially hot. Check for smear marks on commutator, or sparking between brushes and commutator in low light. Heat kills the insulation on the windings.
Colin

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:44 am

Brought other minds to bear on the issue last evening (a wonderful warm guiltily early summer day stretching into the night) at the Lab.

Opening the hatch and running the engine up into the vibrational rpms with hand on throttle, engine gives no indication of unbalance. Sits there screaming away purty and still happy to be racing. But in the driver's seat, and hand on car, my vibrational concerns aren't in my imagination alone.

Consensus is ... sheesh, none really. A harmonic frequency that sets the body aquiver. I was leaning to the generator/fan, and the pulley is less than pristine, yet ... this wasn't an issue when the generator/fan assembly was running Bertha Bus's recently demised DP.

Group think then moved to the transmission mounts and possible cracks or compromises. It's the same front plate that bolts to the body, and new mounts on the bracket that bolts to the fork/horn. Stock mounts, no polyurethane, which were tight when I checked them after the first 36 mile run.

What has changed? As I have mentioned, the drive train was balanced as a unit, flywheel, pressure plate, connecting rods, pistons, crankshaft and pulley. It seems a stretch to think that the investment was tossed out the window by yanking the ring off of the pressure plate to properly mate to the replacement transaxle.

Flummoxed.

My heart sinks to think the solution is to pull the engine how many times to move the pressure plate orientation to find a happier place, and suspect it would be folly. But how else to address this issue? Ignore it?

At this point my plan is to run the issue past anyone hopefully at Dan Hall's now under a different name and Ashley at Always for hopefully insight into cause and resolution.

And yes, the vibration seems to build the higher the rpms. It doesn't "work through" a spot and smooth out.

neal

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue May 15, 2012 6:02 pm

My gut says pressure plate but you already know that. The vibrations were significant; even your side mirror was vibrating.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Tue May 15, 2012 8:40 pm

I dont understand, if it was the pressure plate, this is for all intents and purposes part of the engine, and yet its stated above that the engine doesnt shake.

How is it the pressure plate? If it was the engine would shake.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:03 pm

Leaning towards the one transaxle shock mount I didn't replace at the nose where it attaches to the body. Did the ones on the bracket that mounts to the forks, or horn, of the body, but not the one on the other end. Just left it on. Gonna get under there and stress it a bit at that nose point looking for cracks in that one unknown at this point.

And my used transaxle is used, and has a personality I find that I would rather have not met. Popping out of first with a nasty grind until you go to neutral and back. Oi.

Otherwise, looking and checking and tightening anything loose with an eye for frame to motor contact. Been putting on break in miles despite the vibration, just fewer ventures into higher rpms. Like up to 70 mph in fourth, 50 mph in third, 30 in second, that kind of thing. I do have the shock mount still on the dead transaxle. I kinda tried to take it off but it was stubborn so I didn't, and thus didn't on the used one either that is now in the car.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 18, 2012 7:57 am

ruckman101 wrote:Leaning towards the one transaxle shock mount

Mounts are not "causes". They are merely symptoms.

Vibration that shows up in the mirrors, is vibration in the engine.

Remember, one ounce out of balance at a radius of 69mm is over 300 lbs of force at 4,000 rpm.
Colin

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:34 pm

I had that problem with my old 1600. I think either it was flywheel position or my pressure plate causing it. Same engine went into the Bus for a period and is now powering my buddies buggy. Smooth as silk. Pressure plate was swapped and im sure the flywheel never made it back on in the same position.
Good Luck
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:45 pm

This is obviously what I don't want to hear from you two at ALL!!!

A bit of a break from the wrenching, so haven't even had the heart to begin what with other life factors about. Monies in must be done. Especially if it leads to a stream of similar tasks for monies in.

wracking brain,
neal