Front Beam Hollow Sections

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tinytim
I'm New!

Front Beam Hollow Sections

Post by tinytim » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:57 am

Have removed front beam to refurbish or replace with new. However when cleaned up it has only surface rust and minor pitting so will POR it and replace.
Unsure about the hollow sections on the sides of the beam. Am considering drilling some holes to check they are not full of water and if not, filling with grease or waxoyl. Has anyone ever done this and if so where is the best place to drill?
Any advice much appreciated.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Front Beam Hollow Sections

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:14 am

tinytim wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:57 am
Have removed front beam to refurbish or replace with new. However when cleaned up it has only surface rust and minor pitting so will POR it and replace.
Unsure about the hollow sections on the sides of the beam. Am considering drilling some holes to check they are not full of water and if not, filling with grease or waxoyl. Has anyone ever done this and if so where is the best place to drill?
Any advice much appreciated.
Hollow sections? Might you be referring to the stampings that hold the shock absorbers, the tubes, the bump stops?

Then yes, drill out the bottoms.

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/vie ... 65#p193400

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x133 ... 09NY02.jpg
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tinytim
I'm New!

Post by tinytim » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:39 am

Thank you Amskeptic, the picture with the the wire hanger in is exactly what I mean. Are these called stampings?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:06 am

tinytim wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:39 am
Thank you Amskeptic, the picture with the the wire hanger in is exactly what I mean. Are these called stampings?

Who knows? I know only that they are stampings, and the tubes are tubes and the arms are arms. But hollow could be anything, including a lovely pastoral valley in West Virginia . . .
:flower:

(p.s do thorough good work! My lovely 34,900 mile original 1978 bus had what looked like a perfect front beam, but this damn rust cancer is insidious. The drains of these front suspension were lousy from Day One. These new Kustom Drain Holes are brilliant work arounds. Thank-you. Thank-you very much.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles