Parts: Belatedly Discovered Junk

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Parts: Belatedly Discovered Junk

Post by asiab3 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:19 pm

BusBoys "reconditioned" torsion arms installed last week. First, they sent me the wrong year arms even though I ordered by part number and paid for overnight shipping :(

So they ground-shipped the correct 68-69 ones. The lower (68-79) arms they sent me were fine, but both the 68-69 came with boots that ripped on installation. The spare boots they sold me are of a completely different mold and maybe compound. So I actually think I have the crap boots on my lower joints and the replacement (good reputation) boots on my upper joints. Time will tell- but if you plan on buying these arms, buy extra boots.

BB replacement boot on left. Boot on right came installed on new joints.

1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:27 pm

asiab3 wrote:BusBoys 68-69 boots ripped on installation.
I had a chat with them this morning. I would have gladly picked up some boots for you and chastised them most severely. I chastised severely regardless. Parts quality is a known problem at Bus-Boys.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:48 am

Amskeptic wrote:
asiab3 wrote:BusBoys 68-69 boots ripped on installation.
I had a chat with them this morning. I would have gladly picked up some boots for you and chastised them most severely. I chastised severely regardless. Parts quality is a known problem at Bus-Boys.
Ahh but thank you anyways; I already had the boots ready from my appointment. I have tried to call several times, but keep getting a busy signal. I sent my cores back with their pre-paid postage for the 70+ arms, and I sent one of the bogus boots too. I want to make sure they got it. I also want to rub their nose in it like a dog who defecates on the carpet. There will be no defecation on my suspension.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:04 pm

Monroe shock absorbers ... at least the fronts

Granted, it's been ~ 12-13 years, however, they only had about 10-15k miles on them. Bottoms were completely oil soaked. Replaced with a set of KYB's. Ride seems a little harsher than I would have expected, but obviously more control. Rears are not leaking, so left them alone.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:04 pm

Which KYB's? They come in Excel G (oil filled 'stock') and Gas-A-Just (not actually adjustable, but gas filled/harsher feeling.)

My Monroe's work well for two years and 25,000 miles… Don't let them sit? :D
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:02 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:04 pm
Which KYB's? They come in Excel G (oil filled 'stock') and Gas-A-Just (not actually adjustable, but gas filled/harsher feeling.)

My Monroe's work well for two years and 25,000 miles… Don't let them sit? :D
2 years and 25k is still kinda pathetic :geek: I got the gas ones. didn't realize there were two types. :bom:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::