Rear wheel hub/bearing housing gap?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BumbleBus
Addicted!

Rear wheel hub/bearing housing gap?

Post by BumbleBus » Tue May 03, 2011 2:33 pm

Been working on my first ever rear brake job for my '72. Things are going well so far, but I'm seeing a gap between my wheel hub that slides onto the spindle and the bearing housing assembly. I didn't take a photo or notice how it was before I took everything apart, but should they be flush together? Despite my best efforts I wasn't able to eliminate this gap and my axle nut is on @ 253+ ft-lbs and everything is super snug, but I'm worried this isn't right. Can someone enlighten me? Thx.

This is looking straight down behind the wheel hub:
'72 Sierra Yellow Campmobile

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Rear wheel hub/bearing housing gap?

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 03, 2011 2:45 pm

BumbleBus wrote: gap between hub and the bearing housing
Whip out your brake drum and slap that puppy on the hub. How's the distance between the drum and the backing plate? You might be fooled by the fact that things are clean now.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BumbleBus
Addicted!

Post by BumbleBus » Tue May 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Whip out your brake drum and slap that puppy on the hub. How's the distance between the drum and the backing plate? You might be fooled by the fact that things are clean now.
Colin
Thanks for the fast reply Colin! The drum sits pretty nicely up against the backing plate so maybe everything is okay after all. I notice the rear of the wheel hub seems tapered a bit where it goes in the bearing housing so yeah seeing it clean and shiny may be screwing with my head! :drunken: There is no play anywhere that's for sure and the castellated nut I very carefully calculated where to stand on my cheater bar to get 253 (plus some to line up the cotter hole). My parking brake cable is rubbing against the back of the wheel hub pretty badly, but I'm hoping when I tension it up that'll go away. I'm trying to find a way to replace my parking cable tubes because they are beyond a lost cause.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 04, 2011 8:40 am

BumbleBus wrote:I'm trying to find a way to replace my parking cable tubes because they are beyond a lost cause.
Buy new ones and replace the old ones? You talking about the cable sheaths between the backing plates and the body of the car?
Colin

BumbleBus
Addicted!

Post by BumbleBus » Wed May 04, 2011 10:18 am

Amskeptic wrote:You talking about the cable sheaths between the backing plates and the body of the car?
Colin
I'm talking about the metal parking cable guide tubes that run the length of the vehicle. They are smashed (bad jacking!)/rusted/rotten/stuck with old cabling that won't come out etc. I've tried penetrating oil, drilling and even a come-along :cyclopsani: to get the old cabling out and nothing is working. Who knows how deep the rot goes. I figure if I can find a local welder they can just replace the whole kit and kaboodle with new metal tubing. I even contemplated just getting some narrow PVC and just zip tie in place, but I have a little more bus pride than that I like to think. :sunny:

I just finished up my first ever rear brake job and the new parking cable/sheathing is installed and ready for whatever solution I figure out for the metal tubes.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 06, 2011 7:44 am

BumbleBus wrote: the metal parking cable guide tubes
Your brake work is looking good. I think you can get some replacement steel tubing, unwind it as straight as possible, slide it in the old tubing holes and tack weld, sure!
Then paint.
Colin