Caliper questions

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Caliper questions

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:57 pm

First time doing the brakes on our '70 Ghia, Gretchen, as there seems to be no pad left on the driver's side, so new rotors and pads. Yet....

Bentley illustrations are of the ATE two-pin calipers, while I have the earlier ATE one-pin set-up. A "piston retaining plate" is mentioned, but I saw nothing similar on the one-pin. Not needed? Missing?

And then the caliper cylinders have a ridge, knocked out on a portion, where a piston retaining plate would go. Wrong cylinders? Is the orientation of the missing portion of the ridge critical? The orientation was different on the two wheels. Why, with no piston retaining plate, aren't the rings on the cylinders complete?

I don't see any fluid leaks around the cylinder seals, and they aren't obviously cracked, but they don't look very fresh, either. I'm toying with rebuild kits, but maybe should leave well enough alone.

Any resolution for an alternative to the Bentley suggested "Brake Paste" lube?

Thanks,
neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Caliper questions

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:46 pm

ruckman101 wrote:First time doing the brakes on our '70 Ghia, Gretchen, as there seems to be no pad left on the driver's side, so new rotors and pads. Yet....

Bentley illustrations are of the ATE two-pin calipers, while I have the earlier ATE one-pin set-up. A "piston retaining plate" is mentioned, but I saw nothing similar on the one-pin. Not needed? Missing?

And then the caliper cylinders have a ridge, knocked out on a portion, where a piston retaining plate would go. Wrong cylinders? Is the orientation of the missing portion of the ridge critical? The orientation was different on the two wheels. Why, with no piston retaining plate, aren't the rings on the cylinders complete?

I don't see any fluid leaks around the cylinder seals, and they aren't obviously cracked, but they don't look very fresh, either. I'm toying with rebuild kits, but maybe should leave well enough alone.

Any resolution for an alternative to the Bentley suggested "Brake Paste" lube?
Brake paste is a quaint historical note.
Check early Type 3 manual for the single pin calipers. If yours are not leaking, keep using them. Just as a note, my Road Warrior's calipers had missing or horrendously torn boots for decades and it meant nothing as far as function.

Caliper cylinders ridge knocked out a portion? I am confused.
Pistons often have a recessed section to help prevent squeal. The recessed part faces downward, see Bentley again. The pad shims normally help orient the pistons corectly.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:36 pm

Perhaps "piston retaining plate" is another term for "pad shims"?

On the piston, where it contacts the pads, there is a raised ridge, about 1/8 inch or so, but it isn't a full circle, there is about 3/4 inch or so missing where the retaining plate seats into the center of the piston. No retaining plates on disassembly, and the orientation of the missing sections of the pistons were 180 degrees to each other. I think this is what caused it's early demise.

You can't get just the retaining plates, even rebuild kits didn't include it, and the springs, similar issues. The pads I got were wrong, they were for the two pin caliper, and of course the correct ones are more expensive, not organic and contained asbestos. By the time I got what I could get, costs were climbing, and it made sense to bail on the original plan and kick in a bit more to purchase two new caliper assemblies of the two pin variety that included all new hardware and new pads.

So there I am. Gretchen sits, front end on blocks waiting for me to get back up onto the mountain Tuesday. Hoses seemed fine. I'll try to get some photos up then.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:06 pm

What's the trick to removing the outer bearing races from the rotor?

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:26 pm

ruckman101 wrote:What's the trick to removing the outer bearing races from the rotor?
neal
There are two indentations in the hub that let you see the backside of the outer races as you look inside the hub. Using a brass drift, alternately tap across the hub 180* to knock them out.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:54 pm

Thank you.

neal