Brembo Front Brake Discs $48.02
Meyle front brake hose $9.68
Meyle right rear hose $8.13
Meyle left hose $9.72
ATE rear wheel cylinder $18.27
Meyle Front pad set $23.72
Enduro Rear brake shoe set $28.03
About $250.00 total and free shipping.
I have the brakes all removed and waiting for parts.
Now I'm looking at shocks. :compress:
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Mike Boell
Old School!

Re: 79 Bus Brakes Dragging

Post by Mike Boell » Sun May 22, 2011 1:22 pm

Help!
Parts and tools are about to take flight!!!
Before they did I am enjoying a Mirror Pond at my desk.
All parts are from GoWesty for my 1975 bus.
The drums are are P N 211 609 615 VWAO16935. The box reads OMC-1979.
The wheel cylinders are ATE.
The brake shoes are Enduro brand VWAO16934.
Everything was clean and ready to install. I can not for the live of me get the new drums over the shoes.
I honestly worked on this a few nights back and gave up on it out of frustration and called it a night.
This morning I headed back out and am having the same problem. After 3 hours of fighting the right rear brake I have again given up. It will not fit.
I once again pulled things apart and took them to the bench.
What I found was the shoes all assembled will not fit in the drum.
WTF? :scratch:
I took all my old parts and laid them side by side and they all appear to be the same.
The only difference would be the new drums have more meat than the old ones as do the new shoes.
Are the Enduro brand shoe lining to thick?
Are the drums that read 1979 the wrong drums for my 1975?
What gives?
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun May 22, 2011 3:18 pm

are your adjusters drawn all the way in? Sometimes you gotta rap the new shoes a couple times time get things concentric. don't step on the pedal for any reason until you get the drums on.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Sun May 22, 2011 6:23 pm

I had the star adjusters and the emergency cable completly backed off.

After several bad words I removed everything and brought it to the work bench. That's when I found out that with the shoes all assembled including the new wheel cylinder they will not fit into the drum.
Notta Gonna Happen!

The drum is to small or the brake shoes are to big, or GoWesty sent me some wrong parts.

I know I placed the order for 1975 drums but the box the drums came in say OMC-1979.
Are they not the same as the 1975?

Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Mike Boell wrote:I had the star adjusters and the emergency cable completly backed off.

After several bad words I removed everything and brought it to the work bench. That's when I found out that with the shoes all assembled including the new wheel cylinder they will not fit into the drum.
Notta Gonna Happen!

The drum is to small or the brake shoes are to big, or GoWesty sent me some wrong parts.

I know I placed the order for 1975 drums but the box the drums came in say OMC-1979.
Are they not the same as the 1975?
Mike
They are the same. Review the cross bar that transmits the emergency brake lever to the front shoe. If the cross bar is installed incorrectly in the slots and emergency brake lever, the shoes will NOT retract far enough. The front shoe is pretty obvious. Slot > cross bar slot. The rear is trickier. The slot in the shoe only butts the bar while the lever gets to reside in the cross bar slot, I tink . . . :silent:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Sun May 22, 2011 8:24 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
They are the same. Review the cross bar that transmits the emergency brake lever to the front shoe. If the cross bar is installed incorrectly in the slots and emergency brake lever, the shoes will NOT retract far enough. The front shoe is pretty obvious. Slot > cross bar slot. The rear is trickier. The slot in the shoe only butts the bar while the lever gets to reside in the cross bar slot, I tink . . . :silent:
I just reviewed my GoWesty invoice slip and confirmed the numbers with what their website says. What I have should be for my bus.

Colin,
I just took a second look at the crossbar and unless I'm really missing something I have it as you wrote above.
I took some pictures and will see if I can post them tomorrow.

Any VW brake experts willing to stop by Oregon City some evening this week, I could use the help.
Thanks
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon May 23, 2011 8:09 am

Here's a pic of the passenger side rear brake set up on my 1975 bus. You can kind of make out way the cross-bar sits between the front shoe and the parking brake lever. Also, getting the spring on correctly is important. Don't pay attention to left dust cap on the wheel cylinder.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Mon May 23, 2011 9:29 am

Wow!!!
A picture says a thousand words.
What I can tell you is my passenger side brake was a complete mess when I got the drum off.
The cylinder was leaking and had destroyed the shoes. They were like sponges and gooey. I took pictures when I removed the shoes so I would know how they went back together.
The picture you are showing me has the crossbar on the top and appears the "E" brake cable grabs from the bottom. Mine was upside down from the get-go if yours is correct. :fucyc:
I know what I will be looking at when I get home tonight.
In case the drivers side was installed wrong as well. Is there a picture out there showing what it should look like?
Thank You...
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 23, 2011 9:43 am

Hey Belle Plaine, your trailing shoe dust boot is not correctly installed . . .
< 8 / \
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon May 23, 2011 10:12 am

Amskeptic wrote:Hey Belle Plaine, your trailing shoe dust boot is not correctly installed . . .
< 8 / \
Tell me about it!

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Wed May 25, 2011 6:52 am

Did I get them correct??? They certainly went together easier.

Right rear brake.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/first ... .jpg[/img]
100_3093 by Mike P B, on Flickr[/url]

Left rear brake
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/first ... .jpg[/img]
100_3090 by Mike P B, on Flickr[/url]

In case you were wondering, the silvery stuff is a lite smear of anti sleeze.
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Wed May 25, 2011 7:36 am

Mike Boell wrote: Did I get them correct??? They certainly went together easier.

Looks great. And the drum fits?
Mike Boell wrote: In case you were wondering, the silvery stuff is a lite smear of anti sleeze.
Mike
Is that anti-sleize on the adjuster stars too? Smart!

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Wed May 25, 2011 9:28 am

BellePlaine wrote:
Looks great. And the drum fits?
Drums went right on

Is that anti-sleize on the adjuster stars too? Smart!
I goobered up the stars as well.
The shoe inspection hole on the backing plate were still round but the two adjuster holes required some repair work, they are now round and the new rubber plugs fill the hole nicely.

I also went ahead with new "E" brake cables. the left rear seemed OK but the right side was real gummy. I sprayed brake cleaner down the tube to loosen the old grease then a few days later began greasing up the new cable and stuffing back in. I used blue boat trailer axle bearing grease.
On the front of the tube was a rubber boot but it was rotten. Are those boots available, I can't find them. Is there another boot that would work in it's place?
Thanks
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Wed May 25, 2011 9:38 am

Mike Boell wrote:On the front of the tube was a rubber boot but it was rotten. Are those boots available, I can't find them. Is there another boot that would work in it's place?
Thanks
Mike[/color]
I'd like to find a source for those boots as well. Am I dreaming or am I correct that Colin has mentioned shoving a big glob of wheel bearing grease in the front tube as a way to protect the cables?

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Wed May 25, 2011 10:03 am

I'd like to find a source for those boots as well. Am I dreaming or am I correct that Colin has mentioned shoving a big glob of wheel bearing grease in the front tube as a way to protect the cables?[/quote]

I read that as well and that is what I've done. I picked up some boots for a clutch cable, throttle cable, and other cables but so far I have not found the right one.
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City