Pulls to the left (My military left)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Pulls to the left (My military left)

Post by Sylvester » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:29 pm

On my 1971 Bus, why would the Bus pull left when I first apply the brakes say in a hurry, but not so much when I ease them to a stop?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Re: Pulls to the left (My military left)

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:17 pm

Because the brakes are not working equally. Either a clogged old brake hose (They swell internally with age, if a brake wont bleed this is most likely why.)or a frozen or sticky piston in one of the calipers. Jack up the front and have someone work the pedal while you spin wheels and see if you detect which one is not up to snuff.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:53 am

could also be air in the opposite side. could be contaminated shoes/pads. does the pull take the wheel or does it just kinda change lanes? if it yanks on the steering wheel it's front, if it just wants to change lanes it's rear.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:09 am

vdubyah73 wrote:could also be air in the opposite side. could be contaminated shoes/pads. does the pull take the wheel or does it just kinda change lanes? if it yanks on the steering wheel it's front, if it just wants to change lanes it's rear.
It yanks so it is the front. I replaced the pads up front two years ago. So I could try draining the lines while filling with new fluid to see if that works?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:19 pm

Might be a good time to bleed the entire system in the proper order to:

1. refresh fluid
2. eliminate air bubbles

Needs to be done in the proper order to assure proper purging.

also check condition of the front cyl boots. water in there coould be giving you some rusty crustys that interfere with movement.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:57 pm

bleeding the entire system till you get clear fluid first isn't a bad idea. i've seen black fluid!
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:01 am

Sylvester wrote:
vdubyah73 wrote:could also be air in the opposite side. could be contaminated shoes/pads. does the pull take the wheel or does it just kinda change lanes? if it yanks on the steering wheel it's front, if it just wants to change lanes it's rear.
It yanks so it is the front. I replaced the pads up front two years ago. So I could try draining the lines while filling with new fluid to see if that works?
Start simple!

Pull wheels. Inspect pads for even thicknesses. Any pad that is skinnier than the others belongs to a sticking caliper piston. Most usually, the symptom is that the car will *pull towards the other side*.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles