Parking brake adjustment

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

Parking brake adjustment

Post by tractoman » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:24 pm

I am trying to get little details wrapped up. I followed the Bentley info to adjust parking brake cables after adjusting rear shoes. Shoes and cylinders have less than 100 miles on them. Drums were lightly sanded with a crosshatch and really clean. Brakes were bled and now time to adjust the cables. I adjusted both cables at the front until wheels were hard to turn like Bentley says. I used my foot to get the wheels to move at 6 clicks. Release parking brake handle and wheels spin with the slightest drag. All seems good but the LR seems to run hotter than the RR. My IR gun shows LR at about 145/degrees after a 15 minute ride where the RR is only about 105. Mostly start stop driving with a 2-3 minute stretch at 60:then slowing to turn and then about a minute to home. Is there a better way to adjust parking brake? Is the temp range anything to worry about?
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Parking brake adjustment

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:53 pm

tractoman wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:24 pm
I am trying to get little details wrapped up. I followed the Bentley info to adjust parking brake cables after adjusting rear shoes. Shoes and cylinders have less than 100 miles on them. Drums were lightly sanded with a crosshatch and really clean. Brakes were bled and now time to adjust the cables. I adjusted both cables at the front until wheels were hard to turn like Bentley says. I used my foot to get the wheels to move at 6 clicks. Release parking brake handle and wheels spin with the slightest drag. All seems good but the LR seems to run hotter than the RR. My IR gun shows LR at about 145/degrees after a 15 minute ride where the RR is only about 105. Mostly start stop driving with a 2-3 minute stretch at 60:then slowing to turn and then about a minute to home. Is there a better way to adjust parking brake? Is the temp range anything to worry about?

Wooo, I am late.
Adjust the rear star adjusters evenly to make rear wheels sticky-to-turn.
Go hit the brake pedal firmly a few times whilst pulling the hand brake out and back in.
*this is to center the pistons and cross bar and shoes in the adjuster yokes*
You may find that the wheels loosened up, readjust to sticky.
Step on the brakes and pull the ebrake as per above.
When wheels maintain a consistent drag, now back off the adjusters two teeth each.
You may hear scraping for less than 180*, but no drag.
Now adjust the emergency brake cables to sticky-to-turn at 6 clicks out on the handle.
9 clicks should lock the wheels up, and releasing should give just the scrape you left off with above.
If any wheel gets hot after this adjustment, assume that you have a sticky wheel cylinder piston or a cable beginning to freeze up in the sheaths under the spring plates.
Colin
(you still got that Fastback?)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles