JB Weld Application Trick

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

JB Weld Application Trick

Post by BellePlaine » Mon May 03, 2010 2:50 pm

I love JB Weld but it's such a mess to apply. So I experimented and discovered that a syringe like this works well to put the JB Weld just where you need it.

1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon May 03, 2010 2:52 pm

Sorry for the blurry pix. I didn't realize it was that bad otherwise I would have taken a better one!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 03, 2010 7:29 pm

BellePlaine wrote:Sorry for the blurry pix. I didn't realize it was that bad otherwise I would have taken a better one!
Does JB Weld make it a one-use syringe?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon May 03, 2010 8:24 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
BellePlaine wrote:Sorry for the blurry pix. I didn't realize it was that bad otherwise I would have taken a better one!
Does JB Weld make it a one-use syringe?
Colin
If you washed it out, I think that you could continue to use it. Although I love JB Weld, mostly because I cannot weld for real, I don't have a need to use it all that often and threw mine away after the first use.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:56 pm

acetone is an epoxy thinner, available at your local hardware store. I've never thinned epoxy but it cleans up epoxy messes and you can smooth epoxy repairs that can't be sanded by dipping your tool in it and smoothing. The epoxy just lays down and molds where you push it without it sticking to your tool. I use my finger, in a vinyl glove. It melts the vinyl, but you can change gloves.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

denjohn
Getting Hooked!

Post by denjohn » Mon May 24, 2010 2:10 pm

Alcohol also works well for cleaning up epoxy mess and is probably safer to use than acetone.
Nitrile gloves stand up to hot solvents way better than latex.
Peace
'71 bus, stock running gear ex SVDA and pertronix

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon May 24, 2010 3:07 pm

BellePlaine wrote: Although I love JB Weld, mostly because I cannot weld for real...
JB Weld works well on a lot of things that can't be welded anyway.
F-16 fighters are mostly held together with resins. The fuselage center form is laminated plywood.
Good enough for mach 2+ and 9 Gs.

onion456
I'm New!

Re: JB Weld Application Trick

Post by onion456 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:11 am

another neat applicator is a pastry cone (i went to baking and pastry school) - good for JB, RTV, or any goop that strikes your fancy. made with a sheet of paper, make it any size you want, disposable.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:42 pm

onion456 wrote:another neat applicator is a pastry cone (i went to baking and pastry school) - good for JB, RTV, or any goop that strikes your fancy. made with a sheet of paper, make it any size you want, disposable.
JB Weld flows through paper OK? I'd think it would stick.
How's the buses running, coughcoughinTexasMarch18-21?
Colin

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Re:

Post by Hippie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:52 am

BellePlaine wrote: ...Although I love JB Weld, mostly because I cannot weld for real...
Chris, don't overlook the old tried and true soldering or brazing you can do with a Ace Hardware Turbo Torch with MAPP gas, and the proper fillers and flux.

Since welders crossed into the realm of home-use-affordability, people seem to have forgotten that soldering or brazing can often be the better way to go--and with a lower investment of money and skill.
Brazing can be just as strong as a weld--no BS. Even soldering can exceed the strength of the material which is joined, and without causing heat warpage.

Examples: When I need to join aluminum, I usually use 732 degree Alumipro braze, or a similar product, as it is way easier that welding aluminum with my stick welder. (check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRWmpSE-hXk )

Also, my tailpipe is brazed on for a leakproof joint for years. If I need to remove it, I can get it cherry red hot and pull with pliers. No cutting.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:58 pm

question: how you prevent the Copper permatex from hardening solid inn the tube...? after having used the first bit, closing the cap and storing it..i find the rest of it is usually a useless solid blob of hardened rubber within weeks
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:03 pm

dingo wrote:question: how you prevent the Copper permatex from hardening solid inn the tube...? after having used the first bit, closing the cap and storing it..i find the rest of it is usually a useless solid blob of hardened rubber within weeks
Glad you asked. As an expert in the tedious little moments of human existence, I have indeed found the answer:

WITH APPLICATOR: Press a squirt out the tip and let that be your "pull tab" at next use. If it should harden inside applicator, try cutting applicator further towards the tube, you do lose a fine bead when you have to hack the applicator tip too far down.
FAIL OR NO APPLICATOR: take the stupid thing off. Grab a nail or small screwdriver and ream the top of the tube and see if you can down to the uncured stuff. Try to peel the hardened crap up and remove as much as you can to protect flow.
WHOLE TOP IS HARD AS A ROCK: Cut the bottom corner off the tube and squirt as necessary.

To prevent storage hardening, you merely must keep all air out. I use a little rtv as a sealant when closing the cap when I do not have an applicator that I can create a RTV "pull tab" with.
Colin

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:33 pm

Thx. i will try those suggestions. yes, a tedious mundane little problem...but definately worth solving
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."