Charcoal Canister Pellets

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

karl
Getting Hooked!

Post by karl » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:38 pm

I am still trying to visualize the foam on each end being 3 inches thick:

LiveonG said: " You'll find them when you open it, they sit at the top and bottom, or each side before you remove it from the firewall. Mine were in pretty good shape, I think they were about 1/4' thick. "

One quarter of a foot thick?!?

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:40 pm

karl wrote:I am still trying to visualize the foam on each end being 3 inches thick:

LiveonG said: " You'll find them when you open it, they sit at the top and bottom, or each side before you remove it from the firewall. Mine were in pretty good shape, I think they were about 1/4' thick. "

One quarter of a foot thick?!?
OK Karl, 1/4", happy now?

-John
Keep it acoustic.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:45 pm

Hey John,

What did you use to open the plastic canister? A dremel? X-acto knife? I have mine out, ready to change the pellets, and I don't want to bork the canister...
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:25 pm

I figured it out. Used a utility knife to get it open. I took a bunch of pictures that should probably help others. John, do you mind if I hijack your thread to do a little more in-depth writeup?

BTW, the OE pellets are really small. The stuff I bought at the pet store today is a big extruded pellet...maybe I'll go back and exchange what I have. If memory serves, there was some little stuff like the OE pellets on the shelf there.

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:43 am

bretski wrote:Hey John,

What did you use to open the plastic canister? A dremel? X-acto knife? I have mine out, ready to change the pellets, and I don't want to bork the canister...
Welp, I borked mine. :pale:
I didn't know until I tried to put it all back together yesterday. I pried it open with a screw driver and accidentally took out a few of the "teeth." The top likes to slowly work its way off. The spring is touching just enough to keep the filter and charcoal in place but I know as soon as I attach it to the firewall...SPRONG! I know it won't be pretty but I think I will have to use some zip ties to keep that puppy on because I'm definitely not going to be looking for a replacement canister in the next couple of days.
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:40 pm

Got a hot glue gun? Or some superglue? Either one should keep the end on just fine, and still allow you to get into the canister to freshen the pellets a few years down the road...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:49 pm

tristessa wrote:Got a hot glue gun? Or some superglue? Either one should keep the end on just fine, and still allow you to get into the canister to freshen the pellets a few years down the road...
Oooo! I have sparkly red glitter glue for my glue gun. How 'bout you?! :geek:

I'll give it a shot - thank you! I can't believe I didn't even think of that.
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:07 pm

misszora wrote:Oooo! I have sparkly red glitter glue for my glue gun. How 'bout you?! :geek: .
Sparkly red glitter-glue would liven up the engine bay a bit. :lol:

I ran around for over two years with that stuff holding the glass of my passenger-side mirror in the frame. Worked fine, only took that one off because I scored a used one with a better mirror in it. Sometimes I get more use from my wife's glue gun than she does .. or maybe I just get more burns? :cyclopsani:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:21 pm

bretski wrote:John, do you mind if I hijack your thread to do a little more in-depth writeup?
Feel free to knocketh thyself out.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

catfishcalhoun
I'm New!

Post by catfishcalhoun » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:26 am

bretski wrote:I figured it out. Used a utility knife to get it open. I took a bunch of pictures that should probably help others. John, do you mind if I hijack your thread to do a little more in-depth writeup?
Bretski,

Do you still have the photos?

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:49 am

catfishcalhoun wrote:Do you still have the photos?
Hiya Catfish,

Welcome to the IAC! I've been recovering from surgery, and not spending a whole lot of time on the 'net lately.

I will try to make some time in the next day or two to do the write-up and/or post the pictures.

Edit: Write-up is done, and has been posted in the Engine Section.