Spring loaded spark plug socket

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

MConverse
Getting Hooked!

Spring loaded spark plug socket

Post by MConverse » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:46 pm

Colin, can you *please* post a picture of your spark plug socket and any info you may have on it?

I seriously desire one and cannot get it off my mind. I have spent the better part of today scouring the web for one!

Mike

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Spring loaded spark plug socket

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:45 am

MConverse wrote:Colin, can you *please* post a picture of your spark plug socket and any info you may have on it?

I seriously desire one and cannot get it off my mind. I have spent the better part of today scouring the web for one!

Mike
Sure, when I get my camera/battery charger back from Sluggo before i drive to Somona County!
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:24 pm

MConverse wrote:Colin, can you *please* post a picture of your spark plug socket and any info you may have on it?

Mike
I had a pretty good jones for Colin's spark plug socket after I saw it, too. The thing I liked about it was that it had that universal joint, swivel every which way attitude, plus it stuck up far enough above the spark plug that you didn't lose it under the tin. I looked around for something like it, but no go. So I decided to make my own.

It is just a regular spark plug socket with a swivel joint on top, but I epoxy glued the swivel joint on. That way it always stays connected to the socket, but I can use any size of extension on it that I want. It sticks up out of the tin enough that I can fetch it outta there easily. It works slick. But when Colin is here, he had better keep an eye on his socket, or it might just disappear. "Spark plug socket? No, I never saw your socket. Maybe you left it in California or something."

[albumimg]1214[/albumimg]

Good Luck, Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:36 pm

satchmo wrote:
But when Colin is here, he had better keep an eye on his socket, or it might just disappear. "Spark plug socket? No, I never saw your socket. Maybe you left it in California or something."
Me? I don't have a "sparkplug socket."
I, um, never take out spark plugs. . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:11 am

MY sparkplug socket allowed me to drop not one, but TWO of the plugs back into the tin-hole. I got 'em out with one of those grabber things, but there must be a better way. Do your sockets capture the plug as it's unthreaded?
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:41 am

Most have a little rubber thingy in the socket (no reference to Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life" intended) to grip the body of the sparkplug.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:22 pm

Mine has a magnet. The one I had with the rubber ring kept losing the ring. I have the swivel adapter and I'll try that epoxy idea. It pops out all the time.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:08 pm

Craftsman makes an extension that locks into the socket. Before that I would periodically drop both plug and socket into the tin, and always on #2. That's the toughest plug to get to with FI. Since getting the extension, I have stepped one step closer to Nirvana (the state of mental being, not the band).

-John
Keep it acoustic.