Tap and Die set

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ainokea
I'm New!

Re: Tap and Die set

Post by ainokea » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:51 pm

Snap On makes a metric drill set as well as metric taps and die sets. Excellent quality but pricey. Ainokea

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:14 pm

I hit the set that Randy recommended, the Irwin, and it is plenty sufficient for the majority of folks on this forum. Excellent value, and I've used it three times already. Snap on is if you do this stuff every day of your life. Not me, thank you.

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:40 am

I just read somewhere that Irwin actually makes Snapon... Anyone know if it's true? The matching drill bits would be nice.

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:44 am

Oh, and I bought the HF set a few years ago. That single tool set has made me swear off HF forever. Absolutely crappiest taps I have ever used; I've just finished bungling my brake adjusters with one of them... Ebay has some decent prices on older Craftsman sets, which may be next on my list.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:05 pm

I have a Matco tap/die set, $169.00 off the truck in 2005, has done a lot of YOUR exhaust studs and engine tin nuts and bumper bolt threads, still hanging in there.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ainokea
I'm New!

Post by ainokea » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:46 pm

Matco, Snap On, Mac, Cornwell, Craftsman, all hi quality tools. In a span of 45 years wrenching VW's, always had good service, tools, and shop equipment, from the aforementioned, and have spent a small fortune, mostly with Snap On, for my work equipment and tools. In my case it was necessary to have the correct tools for the job every day of my working life. Cheap knock offs don't last and cause problems when they fail. Ainokea