Bogus Tool: K-D #2012 Heavy Duty Snap Ring Pliers

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Bogus Tool: K-D #2012 Heavy Duty Snap Ring Pliers

Post by kreemoweet » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:47 pm

Here's an image from the Web: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/kd-t ... 22988160-P

I attempted to use this tool to remove/install the large internal circlips in my '71 bus rear bearing housings. The ring (72mm x 2.5mm) is well within the advertised
capacity of these pliers. Nontheless, the pliers were a complete failure in doing so: long before the ring was compressed sufficiently, the plier arms would
begin to spread apart, and eventually the ring would fly off (SPROING!!). I was quite surprised at this, since the pliers appear to be quite beefy. I eventually
managed to get them to work, once, by keeping the arms togethr with an additional c-clamp. Very awkward indeed. I switched to using a much lighter duty
Sears Craftsman set of circlip pliers, which were up to the job, if I could keep the ring from slipping off the tips, which I always eventually could.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Bogus Tool: K-D #2012 Heavy Duty Snap Ring Pliers

Post by asiab3 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:40 pm

kreemoweet wrote:I switched to using a much lighter duty
Sears Craftsman set of circlip pliers, which were up to the job, if I could keep the ring from slipping off the tips, which I always eventually could.
The $8 red-handled reversible ones? I had good luck with those until I was given an old old Channel Lock set. Nothing beats quality hand-me-downs. :drunken:
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:47 am

asiab3 wrote:Nothing beats quality hand-me-downs.
That there is true right there . . .

In the case of hard-working tools, I like it simple. Some of these fancy wire crimpers with the cushy handles are gawdawful too, the grips slide off, the riveted pivot loosens, the blades dent, atrocious crap.
I have a reversible circlip plier. The bits *must* be treated with care. The moment that they slip out of the circlip ends, cheap bits will round off their edges and slip out, causing an escape trough to develop in the circlip holes, then it is a slippy-slidy mess. Make sure that your bits are perfectly perpendicular to the circlip holes, keep a serious push pressure as you compress the circlip,
("pay atTENtion or you'll PUT your EYE out!" mom)
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:49 am

An American version is out there, simple, KB Tools I think...heavy duty.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat