tearing down "field motor"

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

slow.bus
I'm New!

tearing down "field motor"

Post by slow.bus » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:43 pm

In an attempt to learn more, I picked up a cheap motor from a restorer - motor was 99% complete - but has been sitting outside (in a typical Canadian environment) under a tarp for years .... so many bits will go into garbage, some hopefully fixable / rebuild-able (carb., disti., generator etc)

Have been able to tear it down to the "longblock" without any major trauma (except to rusted tin) - aside from a few tin bolts that seized in the case and sheared off.

Anyway, I have removed the nuts (and consequently a few studs) that attached the heads to the case / cylinders ... but they will not budge. It seems the inner, upper studs are seized to the heads ... all other 6 seem to have some wiggle.

Any tips to get the heads off the cylinders? I am not sure they are salvageable - but do not want to mess things up - and there are no good leverageable spots that will not bend cooling fins.

Any other tips to tear this down and beyond? My goal is to make this run for cheap - on a bench - not in a vehicle. If I can do that, later on I'll build a motor up with new, delicious parts ... maybe ... or just be happy with the education.
1981 Westfalia
Dents & Dings, but no Rust

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: tearing down "field motor"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:03 am

slow.bus wrote:I have removed the nuts (and consequently a few studs) that attached the heads to the case / cylinders ... but they will not budge. It seems the inner, upper studs are seized to the heads ... all other 6 seem to have some wiggle.

Any tips to get the heads off the cylinders?
Spray PB Blaster rust penetrant on the studs and the joints between the heads and the cylinder barrels, and wait for a day, do it again, hit the studs with nuts installed flush with the ends of the studs and tap tap tap. Put hammer handle or broomstick in intake ports and exhaust ports and try to pry or hammer.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

slow.bus
I'm New!

Post by slow.bus » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:43 am

Amskeptic wrote: Put hammer handle or broomstick in intake ports and exhaust ports and try to pry or hammer.
Colin
ahhh ... that makes sense ... I have some cutdown dowels / broom handles just for that ... never thought to use the ports. Been spraying and soaking for the last few nights
1981 Westfalia

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:15 am

Would a cylinder stuck to the head benefit from a compression stroke (plugs installed) with the head nuts off to break the seal? Or am I guessing madly?
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

slow.bus
I'm New!

Post by slow.bus » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:00 am

engine is seized ... due to sitting (or so I was told) ... hopefully it is just the pistons seized to cylinder walls ... but time will tell if I have a rebuild-able motor or just an educational exercise on dissasembly
1981 Westfalia

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:43 am

Get a rubber mallet and smack around the heads, being careful to not break any fins. Sometimes the blows will break the seal as well.
If there is a lot of thread on the studs going thru the heads and cylinders, you can try to double nut them and back them out of the case as well. It may free things up.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:51 am

asiab3 wrote:Would a cylinder stuck to the head benefit from a compression stroke (plugs installed) with the head nuts off to break the seal? Or am I guessing madly?
Only combustion events would help . . . :blackeye:

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:43 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
slow.bus wrote:I have removed the nuts (and consequently a few studs) that attached the heads to the case / cylinders ... but they will not budge. It seems the inner, upper studs are seized to the heads ... all other 6 seem to have some wiggle.

Any tips to get the heads off the cylinders?
Spray PB Blaster rust penetrant on the studs and the joints between the heads and the cylinder barrels,
Since you're in Canada, you have the much better option of using Lloyd's Moovit penetrant. Lordco carries it. Beats the pants off of PB Blaster. :cherry:
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

slow.bus
I'm New!

Post by slow.bus » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:16 am

Thank you for the tips - no success yet - but still trying each night.

Worried I may just need to crack the cylinders - which the guy I bought it from suggested - from a time / money point of view. This is primarily a learning exercise - so I am trying hard to not throw money at it ...

slowlane ... I de-californiated my 1981 vangon - so may have some spare bits if you are in need.
1981 Westfalia

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:13 am

Put some PB down in the thru the spark plug holes and let it sit for a day. Try to turn the crank to break the rings free with a bar on the flywheel.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

slow.bus
I'm New!

Post by slow.bus » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:08 am

Heads still will not budge - tried everything and more ...

Going to keep spraying them, but moving on to other things - rebuilt disti last night - will try carb, then generator ...
1981 Westfalia

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:47 am

slow.bus wrote:Heads still will not budge - tried everything and more ...

Going to keep spraying them, but moving on to other things - rebuilt disti last night - will try carb, then generator ...
Keep them doused with penetrant. Tap them to allow better infusion.
Colin

slow.bus
I'm New!

Post by slow.bus » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:24 am

Will do - I plan to douse them nightly all week - but not attempt to remove until next week at the earliest.
1981 Westfalia

slow.bus
I'm New!

Post by slow.bus » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:57 pm

Been thinking about this differently ... has anyone tried or had success or feels strongly etc about trying to use some rust killing stuff ... Metal rescue ...por15, vinegar etc to try and eat away at the rust presumed to causing the issue ...

Internet shows this stuff magically unsticking carbs, bolts, nuts, linkages, lost treasures and restoring ones faith in politicians and VW CEO's ....
1981 Westfalia

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:52 pm

slow.bus wrote:Been thinking about this differently ... has anyone tried or had success or feels strongly etc about trying to use some rust killing stuff ... Metal rescue ...por15, vinegar etc to try and eat away at the rust presumed to causing the issue ...

Internet shows this stuff magically unsticking carbs, bolts, nuts, linkages, lost treasures and restoring ones faith in politicians and VW CEO's ....
Have you gotten the heads off yet? I've never failed to knock the heads loose with an overnight PB blaster soak and some nice blows with a rubber mallet in key places w/out breaking them. Now, the cylinders? Yup, I've had some that refused to break free no matter what I tried before getting aggressive with a steel hammer and shattering them.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.