Low rpm Low power

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Low rpm Low power

Post by mentalQtip » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:58 pm

HI there. '77 2 liter bus with fuel injection. This bus has freshly adjusted valves, points and timing within spec.
The problem is that in the lower rpm this bus feels very sluggish. Then as the rpm rise the power comes on suddenly and the bus pulls forward very nicely.
I have switched another air flow meter and it made no difference. I tried pulling the vacuum hose(made it worse) then replaced the hose and the problem remained.
The bus starts and idles just great. When I try to pull forward in first I have to slip the clutch more than I should to get it moving.
I have tried the search function but haven't found this problem.

Any thoughts?
Please?

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Re: Low rpm Low power

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:10 am

Have you checked your distributor to make sure that both the vacuum advance and mechanical advance are working correctly and smoothly? If the timing is not advancing smoothly as the engine RPM increases, the engine will bog.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Re: Low rpm Low power

Post by Westy78 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:12 am

vwlover77 wrote:Have you checked your distributor to make sure that both the vacuum advance and mechanical advance are working correctly and smoothly? If the timing is not advancing smoothly as the engine RPM increases, the engine will bog.
That'd be the first thing that came to my mind with those symptoms. Especially with the power coming on suddenly once it gets to a certain RPM. You're lucky we have the Philben Group right here in town.

http://www.philbingroup.com/philbin_rebuilt.htm
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.