1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 78 Westy Hyd 2.0 FI wandering timing, running hot

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:24 am

bajaman72 wrote:Volkaholic1 is his username.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1062980

Dunno, watchu think??
Stick him in the Engine Vendors sticky. I want a 85* thermostat spare when he gets around to it.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:05 pm

bajaman72 wrote:Volkaholic1 is his Advertiser name.
volkaholic is his username.
Might be worth getting a group order together to make it worth Mr. Volkaholic's time. From his description, he forwards the end caps of busted VW bellows to some manufacturer that he has contact with. Claims he can get type IV bellows as a special order, but if there are enough of us clamoring for them, maybe they wouldn't be so special (well, except to us, of course).

How about it? Anyone got a busted type IV thermostat laying around?
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:51 pm

I actually just ordered a whole complete thermostat assembly off The other Site.. Thermostat bracket,thermostat,cable,wheel, and wheel bolt. From the pics my thermostat is already expanded, i'll have to check though. $40 was the price... SHIPPED! :cheers:

I'll let you kow if it needs rebuilding.
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

CarlosZ
I'm New!

Post by CarlosZ » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:05 pm

I recently purchased a 72 camper. GD serial engine on a center mount weber. I've noticed the rod that connects the two flaps and thermostat are missing. The tins are on, can see the driver's side flap is there but not in a fixed position. Does it make a difference that the flap is not in a fixed position? I'm assuming the fan will make it flap around and not be in an effective position. Not sure if that's good or bad. I plan on installing thermo and linkage eventually. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:08 pm

CarlosZ wrote:I recently purchased a 72 camper. GD serial engine on a center mount weber. I've noticed the rod that connects the two flaps and thermostat are missing. The tins are on, can see the driver's side flap is there but not in a fixed position. Does it make a difference that the flap is not in a fixed position? I'm assuming the fan will make it flap around and not be in an effective position. Not sure if that's good or bad. I plan on installing thermo and linkage eventually. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
The left flap is actually a vane that must be secured over the oil cooler. Some people (who need to get it functioning NOW but do not have the crossbar and associated parts) will drill a self tapping screw into the side of the left cylinder cover and trap the vane on top of the cooler until such time as they are able to restore the engine to its correct configuration.
Colin

CarlosZ
I'm New!

Post by CarlosZ » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:17 am

Is it possible to remove the driver's side tins w/o removing the engine? If so, do I have to remove the manifold? Looks rather difficult. I may opt for installing the crossbar linkage while I'm at it as it doesn't make sense in opening it up again. I live in SoCal (Reseda) and did a 145 mile trip to Escondido w/o issues. It wasn't as hot as it'll get in the summer. Do you think it's urgent? Thanks again for your help.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:09 am

CarlosZ wrote:Is it possible to remove the driver's side tins w/o removing the engine? If so, do I have to remove the manifold? Looks rather difficult. I may opt for installing the crossbar linkage while I'm at it as it doesn't make sense in opening it up again. I live in SoCal (Reseda) and did a 145 mile trip to Escondido w/o issues. It wasn't as hot as it'll get in the summer. Do you think it's urgent? Thanks again for your help.
If you wanted to get in there, yes, you remove the manifolds, loosen the front tin on the left side (the big across across the bell housing tin), remove the distributor and you can remove the "upper cylinder cover" as VW likes to put it.
Colin

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:48 pm

I am trying to figure how one could be missing the flap rod on a T4 engine, It is a permanent part of the flap.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:32 pm

sgkent wrote:I am trying to figure how one could be missing the flap rod on a T4 engine, It is a permanent part of the flap.
I am trying to figure out your question from the prior posts.

There is a flap "link" that actuates the left vane, did someone call that a "rod"?

The crossbar is intrinsic to the right flap only, did someone call the crossbar a "rod"?

The left vane can be present and the rest of the assembly can be missing . . . . since it only interacts with the left vane via the link.
Colin