Leaking Crankshaft / Flywheel Oil Seal

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Re: Transmission Input Shaft Seal

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:18 pm

Well, my case will be an experiment. My father-in-law is a retired mechanical engineer with a lot of experience with seals in industrial applications. He tells me that the surface finish left by fine emery cloth should still have plenty of microscopic roughness to retain oil to lubricate the seal lip. We shall see!!!

Here's a photo of the new Sabo seal on the left and the old NTK seal on the right. Both are the same width, apparently 12 mm. You can see on the Sabo seal where the OE VW emblem and part number have been ground off!

But the Sabo seal has this herringbone pattern that the NTK did not. I think its purpose is to pump any oil that gets past the seal lip back into the crankcase.

I installed my seal a little proud of the crankcase by using a piece of plexiglas with a hole cut in it as a spacer during installation. That keeps the seal lip from riding on the wear groove on the flywheel.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:36 am

vwlover77 wrote:the surface finish left by fine emery cloth should have plenty of microscopic roughness to retain oil to lubricate the seal lip.
Absotivelutey. Why, locoqueso and I just did a front seal . . . yesterday.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:30 am

Everything is back together and 100 miles have been logged with no apparent leakage. It's off to a good start, anyway. Let's hope I'm not reviving this thread a year from now!
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:05 pm

vwlover77 wrote:Everything is back together and 100 miles have been logged with no apparent leakage. It's off to a good start, anyway. Let's hope I'm not reviving this thread a year from now!
100 miles dry is a good start. If locoqueso chimes in and tells us how his seal is doing, we might have turned a corner with these BP ExxonValdez moments.
Colin

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Re: Leaking Crankshaft / Flywheel Oil Seal

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:50 am

I'm reviving this thread FAR too soon. I was under the Bus a couple of days ago, and I see drops of oil accumulating at the transmission / engine junction. I assume that the oil seal is beginning to leak again, only 2000 miles after it was replaced earlier in the summer.

Is my crankshaft out of round??? Main bearing worn out??? ACK!!!
Don

78 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:25 am

vwlover77 wrote:I'm reviving this thread FAR too soon. I was under the Bus a couple of days ago, and I see drops of oil accumulating at the transmission / engine junction. I assume that the oil seal is beginning to leak again, only 2000 miles after it was replaced earlier in the summer.

Is my crankshaft out of round??? Main bearing worn out??? ACK!!!
Clean it and go watch TV.
Colin
:blackeye:

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:41 am

Amskeptic wrote:Clean it and go watch TV.
Colin
Cleaned it, but then surfed the web instead. I hate TV! :study:
Don

78 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:36 pm

vwlover77 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:Clean it and go watch TV.
Colin
Cleaned it, but then surfed the web instead. I hate TV! :study:
See, it is your refusal to obey my instructions ..... :blackeye:
Colin
(I have drops under the BobD that never land ... it is, it is, It Is Good Enough)

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:23 pm

Don't make the same mistake I did, pressing the seal in with the EMPI tool without removing the dowels/pins for the flywheel from the end of the crankshaft. The seal won't be fully seated and will fail prematurely. Glad I figured it out the second go round.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:00 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Don't make the same mistake I did, pressing the seal in with the EMPI tool without removing the dowels/pins for the flywheel from the end of the crankshaft. The seal won't be fully seated and will fail prematurely. Glad I figured it out the second go round.

neal
I'll keep that in mind for the TBRRupturedDuck. Actually, I like letting sleeping dowels lie if they are snug in their installed positions.

The Type 4 crowd has no such concerns, they have five big bolts holding the flywheel on.
Colin

Jaffa
I'm New!

Post by Jaffa » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:23 pm

Regarding pressing the seal in, I measured the depth of my seal recess at 12 points around the circumference and the measurements are NOT consistent. So if you press the seal in using the case outer face as a datum the seal may end up crooked. I pressed the seal in so it is hard up against the machined step at the bottom of the recess. After fitting when I run my finger over the seal face outwards I can feel a slight difference in step around the circumference. Could this be why so many newly fitted seals leak?

I must state here though that this is my FIRST seal replacement so time will tell!

Engine is 1974 AW 1800cc Type 4.
Seal was suffix -B from Bus Depot and is 12mm orange.
Craig

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:43 am

I tap it in just past the case, lightly all around with a hammer on wood block.
Make sure the seal is packed with grease and swimming in it too. Grease the crank too.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:57 pm

hambone wrote:I tap it in just past the case, lightly all around with a hammer on wood block.
Make sure the seal is packed with grease and swimming in it too. Grease the crank too.
what he said.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Jaffa
I'm New!

Post by Jaffa » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:19 pm

"pack with grease" I've not read that before. Would the grease disolve in the engine oil or just stay as blobs and potentially block the oilways?

But either way I'm a bit late for this as the flywheel and new clutch are all fitted and buttoned up tight. I did use copious quantities of oil in the seal and on the lip, with a smear on the flywheel surface.

Craig
Craig

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Jaffa wrote:I pressed the seal in so it is hard up against the machined step at the bottom of the recess.
I also seated my seal fully into the case so it bottomed out. Six years later and no leakage from that area. I'm not sure, but I suspect if the seal isn't sufficiently seated, the fillet on the back of the flywheel interferes with the seal.

Not to belabour the obvious, but did you replace the o-ring at the same time you replaced the seal?
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett