seeking help setting up a new automatic (pdx)

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sweetpeavw
I'm New!

seeking help setting up a new automatic (pdx)

Post by sweetpeavw » Sun May 22, 2011 2:04 pm

any pdx'ers care to help us set up a new automatic in zigzag? '79 westy (2.0l dual carb w/ an automatic)

having issues getting the shift points set properly... could use either an experienced hand or recommendations for a good shop in portland.

-bill, melissa & paige

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: seeking help setting up a new automatic (pdx)

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 22, 2011 6:25 pm

sweetpeavw wrote:
having issues getting the shift points set properly...
Read your Bentley.
A) Adjust the throttle linkage as per ...
B) If you have a vacuum modulator, make sure the vacuum line is secure and not split or cracked. Check for any vacuum leaks in engine. Check timing of engine.

As a general rule, a vacuum leak will make it shift too high up.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sun May 22, 2011 8:20 pm

what happened to your 'billmelissaandpaige' ID? just starting fresh?

good luck getting it sorted. can't wait to see you guys again.......
1979 California Transporter

sweetpeavw
I'm New!

Post by sweetpeavw » Mon May 23, 2011 8:02 am

colin: hence the issue... setting it up per bentley specs/tolerances creates a shift point of 10-12mph from 1st to 2nd & 30-35mph from 2nd to 3rd. it is only when i go outside of bently specs that i can achieve the proper shift points (15-20mph/40-45mph)... but at these settings the kickdown is fully engaged on a continuous basis with the throttle lever on the tranny having zero gap against its stop. fyi, this is the 2nd "new transmission" from german transaxle... the first lasted only 60 miles being set with the "proper shift points" (18mph/42mph) before leaving us stranded in downtown portland. gt warrantied it... but i am hesitant to go down that same route of settings as they stated they will not warranty another unless it is set up by a shop.

i have been from one end to the other on linkage adjustments and left scratching my head. not sure where else to turn but iac for a little advice or a helping hand. thanks...

chris: login info was ran through an expired email account and no longer accessible. still planning on maupin?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 23, 2011 9:39 am

sweetpeavw wrote:colin: hence the issue... setting it up per bentley specs/tolerances creates a shift point of 10-12mph from 1st to 2nd & 30-35mph from 2nd to 3rd. it is only when i go outside of bently specs that i can achieve the proper shift points (15-20mph/40-45mph)... but at these settings the kickdown is fully engaged on a continuous basis with the throttle lever on the tranny having zero gap against its stop. fyi, this is the 2nd "new transmission" from german transaxle... the first lasted only 60 miles being set with the "proper shift points" (18mph/42mph) before leaving us stranded in downtown portland. gt warrantied it... but i am hesitant to go down that same route of settings as they stated they will not warranty another unless it is set up by a shop.

i have been from one end to the other on linkage adjustments and left scratching my head. not sure where else to turn but iac for a little advice or a helping hand.
If the throttle linkage is certifiably wonderfully adjusted, the next step is to hook up the gauges and read pressures. There are no shortcuts. If you have any question about the competence and/or interest of a professional, move on, be fluid and demanding at the same time.
ColinLoveRequiresIt

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:03 pm

bill,

I have not found the spring for your throttle linkage. Hopfully colin will be able to help tomorrow.

I am looking around town for either THE spring or one that I think might work.

good luck.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:56 pm

Gypsie wrote:bill,

I have not found the spring for your throttle linkage. Hopfully colin will be able to help tomorrow.

I am looking around town for either THE spring or one that I think might work.

good luck.
Spring? What spring? It is ten hours before our appointment . . .
Colin

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:21 am

I am of the mind that part of the issue they are dealing with is that they have been working with a spring that does not have the tension needed to be a throttle control/kickdown spring. They have been driving around in their automatic with the linkage 'locked up' as it were because the spring they have on the linkage is woefully undertensile.

oooh, did i just make up a word...
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....