Does it sound like I've toasted my double relay?

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Does it sound like I've toasted my double relay?

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:19 pm

al_kaholik wrote: The pump does not run with the ignition in the first position, but does when cranking.

ignition on pump only when the fuel pump contacts in the AFM were touching.
OK, this suggests that the fuel pump circuit is not a problem.

You are still suffering a difficult/impossible start, where the engine will fire briefly but stall when you release the key, right? Please perform this crazy hack test. Get your 14 or 16 gauge roll of wire out and run a wire from the battery (+) terminal directly to the coil (+) #15 terminal. Immediately after supplying this direct voltage to the coil, start the engine. Let me know if it runs normally. Please be sensible, do not allow this hot wire to short or do anything embarrassing.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

al_kaholik
I'm New!

Post by al_kaholik » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:34 am

Well, today I have the day off to fix the car.

This morning I changed the rotor, cap and plugs, went through all the connectors again and snugged them all up.

Car is working, at least for now...

Thanks for the help guys, again!
A supporter of "perfection through inspection."

'77 Jap import FI and Aircon

al_kaholik
I'm New!

Post by al_kaholik » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:24 pm

Right and we're broken again :(

Drive it on the day I last posted, a few minutes then parked up for about 5 mins then drove the same journey again. All good.

Just come in after catching the bus back, drive for maybe 7-10 minutes and the engine just cut out. Then the starter turned but no firing.

I know I'm jumping and I was told before but what about the the thermo time switch our csv as the first time it cut out it was at a similar distance/time from home.

any thoughts? Sorry to be a complete PITA again.

Thanks. Al

al_kaholik
I'm New!

Post by al_kaholik » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:44 am

Ok, just had it recovered again.

The chap thinks its fuel related, so I'm going to get a filter and replace it and attempt to blow the lines through.

More on this when I've done that :(

Oh for a carb...

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:40 pm

When you change your fuel filter take the old one and cut the upstream half off. See if there is anything in it. You may have crud sloshing around over your outflow that only clogs sporadically.

two cents.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

al_kaholik
I'm New!

Post by al_kaholik » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:16 am

Finally sorted this now after the long weekend, broken wire to the throttle switch.

Pretty sure the wiring is highly degraded throughout or getting that way. Another fun job to do!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:17 am

al_kaholik wrote:Finally sorted this now after the long weekend, broken wire to the throttle switch.

Pretty sure the wiring is highly degraded throughout or getting that way. Another fun job to do!
Tole you . . . :blackeye:

(actually, I am glad you found it, how did you?)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

al_kaholik
I'm New!

Post by al_kaholik » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:46 am

I know some of the wire is crusty (I get shocked from the door every now and then!), and some of the main FI loom in the engine bay looks a little worse for wear so I thought I'd give them all a go from the ECU plug to the respective plugs in the engine bay, using 12v tat the ECU plug and grounding out the other side. Just by chance I had a voltage and it had dropped when I looked back, bent the wire around and it sporadically came back and dropped again.

Both times it has stopped it was either going over speedbumps or the crappy roads that I am paying my road tax for which made me think, plus fuel was getting to the engine in the test...

I really don't want to be making the whole loom again so might reinforce it all with some tape to stop any more bending or sagging, but long term it might only cost £30 to rewire the whole lot using some more sensible colours. Its a case of being able to get the right connectors for the double relay and ECU that might put a damper on it.

When I get a chance I now have a new fuel filter to fit, which can't hurt at all.