Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Re: Oil leak on 3/4 side of 1.8L type IV

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:26 pm

The purists may condemn me, but I used high-temp RTV on both sides of the cork breather gasket and my leak was solved.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:48 am

vwlover77 wrote:The purists may condemn me, but I used high-temp RTV on both sides of the cork breather gasket and my leak was solved.
Oh the shame!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Treehive
I'm New!

Post by Treehive » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:12 am

Amskeptic wrote:For example, just a couple of them:

Thanks Colin. Based on this picture, I don't think that is the problem. Using your picture as reference, the oil almost appears to be concentrated around the bolt (case bolt?....that couldn't leak, right?) just behind the oil pressure sending unit. However, it is not the oil pressure sender. There is oil around the curve of the cylinder closest to the oil pressure sender (#4 i think?) and is leaking down both sides of that cylinder, but is concentrated on the side closest to the rear of the bus....There is NO oil near the oil cooler, so that can definitely be ruled out....I'm now almost convinced it is the oil breather seal b/c I don't know what else it could be. I will have some pics posted this evening to give everyone a peek, and hopefully I will have run the engine again to determine the leak source by this weekend.

Thank you to everyone for your responses and helping me get my beloved bus back on the road :)
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

1974 VW Westfalia (The Treehive aka the Hive)

Treehive
I'm New!

Post by Treehive » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:15 am

vwlover77 wrote:The purists may condemn me, but I used high-temp RTV on both sides of the cork breather gasket and my leak was solved.
I am a bit of a purist, but I would also like to...oh, i don't know...be able to drive and enjoy my bus :) I will try your suggestion when i reseal the oil breather. Thanx

Treehive
I'm New!

Post by Treehive » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:21 am

Here are a couple of pics (finally) before the engine was cleaned. I hope to have it back in this weekend sometime. I'll keep ya posted. thanks :)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:51 am

Treehive wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:For example, just a couple of them:
Thanks Colin. Based on this picture, I don't think that is the problem. Using your picture as reference,
Oh yes, no kidding, that was the only quick picture I could find. Just be aware of these gallery plug buggers they show up all over the place.
Colin
(vwlover77, use Permatex Aviation at your next gasket refresh. RTV can cause gallery embolisms and bearing strokes and it looks as tacky as CoolWhip containers for salad bowls at your daughter's wedding)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles

Treehive
I'm New!

Post by Treehive » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:50 am

Finally got the engine back to the builder and we pulled off the driver's side head and the #3 and 4 cylinders, and just as I had suspected all along, it was the #4 cylinder that was leaking. On the lip of the case where the cylinder sits, there was a small depression in the metal that was not sealing. IDK if this was the best way to fix it, but the builder put some kind of jet engine sealant around the cylinder, we put her back together, and now (after about 200 mi of driving) there is no more oil leaking. Hopefully, the problem is solved. I know that typically no sealant is used in this situation, but it seemed to get the job done....at least I'm finally back on the road :)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:07 am

Treehive wrote: the builder put some kind of jet engine sealant around the cylinder, we put her back together, and now (after about 200 mi of driving) there is no more oil leaking. Hopefully, the problem is solved. I know that typically no sealant is used in this situation, but it seemed to get the job done....at least I'm finally back on the road :)
Typically sealant is DEMANDED at this location. The factory has little .010 cylinder base shims that we all use AVIATION cement on, also known as Permatex Aviation, the brown stuff I have been swearing by since 1980 on all engines I have ever worked on.

Let's hope it remains dry in there! Oil-free is so much cleaner.
Colin

Treehive
I'm New!

Post by Treehive » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:06 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Treehive wrote: the builder put some kind of jet engine sealant around the cylinder, we put her back together, and now (after about 200 mi of driving) there is no more oil leaking. Hopefully, the problem is solved. I know that typically no sealant is used in this situation, but it seemed to get the job done....at least I'm finally back on the road :)
Typically sealant is DEMANDED at this location. The factory has little .010 cylinder base shims that we all use AVIATION cement on, also known as Permatex Aviation, the brown stuff I have been swearing by since 1980 on all engines I have ever worked on.

Let's hope it remains dry in there! Oil-free is so much cleaner.
Colin
I had no idea that sealant is demanded at that location....but it is not leaking :cheers: so im excited!! I finally have a driver! :rr:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:06 pm

Treehive wrote: it is not leaking :cheers: so im excited!! I finally have a driver! :rr:
And a clean engine is a cool engine and a cool engine is a happy engine.
Colin

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:20 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Treehive wrote: it is not leaking :cheers: so im excited!! I finally have a driver! :rr:
And a clean engine is a cool engine and a water cooled engine is a happy engine.
Colin

Treehive
I'm New!

Post by Treehive » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:14 am

Lanval wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
And a clean engine is a cool engine and a water cooled engine is a happy engine.
Colin
www.itinerant-water-cooled.com?? :pale:

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:30 pm

Treehive wrote:
Lanval wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin
http://www.itinerant-water-cooled.com?? :pale:
Hey you did it wrong: http://www.itinerant-water-cooled.com!! =D>

It's the wave of the future! (heh)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:06 pm

Lanval wrote:
Treehive wrote:
Lanval wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin
http://www.itinerant-water-cooled.com?? :pale:
Hey you did it wrong: http://www.itinerant-water-cooled.com!! =D>

It's the wave of the future! (heh)
Very witty. Even a pun. Bludgeoned about the head with italics in case we're stupid or something. But I tell you what, we'll keep this exchange here for another 48 hours or so and then delete it, as this is a Technical Forum.
Colin :shaking2: