fuel auto safety shut off?

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

rainforestrabbit
I'm New!

fuel auto safety shut off?

Post by rainforestrabbit » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:39 pm

...is there such at thing? I've heard that some buses, mine... shut off when lifted or are left in an incline. I can start and turn over the engine, but there is no power or "gas" when I hit the gas...One guy I met on Hawthorne said his bus does the same thing... He towed it to a repair shop, but it "fixed" itself after being on the tow truck. Mine did too... and recently, after the Maupin trip, stopped after being parked on a slope! Big bummer on the slopes... anyone heard of this? :scratch:
rainforestrabbit

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:14 pm

Never heard of it. Is your Bus carbureted or fuel-injected? Sounds like the dreaded junk in the gas tank blocking the outlet line to me....
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: fuel auto safety shut off?

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:43 pm

rainforestrabbit wrote:
I can start and turn over the engine, but there is no power or "gas" when I hit the gas...
Let's tighten up the terminology so we can grasp the issue more easily here.

"Turn over" means the starter is able to crank the engine.
"Start" is sort of redundant, but let's say that you are telling us that the engine "fires" and is able to idle.

So I think you are saying that the engine is running but is incapable of getting the car moving. This is a common consequence of an engine that has been badly flooded, which carb buses can do parked on an uphill.
Yaah?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

rainforestrabbit
I'm New!

Clogged

Post by rainforestrabbit » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:55 pm

Yes, rolls over, yes... idles, but has no "go" when I hit the fuel pedal...hum... I'm not one to flood a car when starting, and I've tried to start it over several days. FYI - I changed all the fuel lines and point that "gas" touches, including the filter. Any other ideas? ... I'm fuel injected.
rainforestrabbit

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:24 am

Did it run fine prior to changing the fuel lines? What electrical connectors or vacuum hoses did you disconnect when you replaced the fuel lines? This sounds like the problem that occurs when the large plug to the AFM is left unplugged.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Clogged

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:42 am

rainforestrabbit wrote:Yes, rolls over, yes... idles, but has no "go" when I hit the fuel pedal...hum... I'm not one to flood a car when starting, and I've tried to start it over several days. FYI - I changed all the fuel lines and point that "gas" touches, including the filter. Any other ideas? ... I'm fuel injected.
This isn't about you.
I mentioned that carbureted buses can flood on inclines.

Post #2 you get around to telling us that you have a fuel injected bus.
OK. That helps . . .
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles