Auxiliary heater

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Auxiliary heater

Post by Mulcheese » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:28 pm

I went out today to check the aux. heater because we are going to do our last camping trip this weekend and the temps are now reaching into the 30's at night. Started it up and no heat.

Here is what I know:
When the temp lever is moved the relay kicks in.
Turned temp nob all the way on.
The ignition coil fires.
The fuses are checked and good.
The aux fan runs.
When all this is running I put my hand on the fuel pump and I feel nothing. I am assuming that it should vibrate like the main pump. I have checked the connection and the pump is getting current. Is the pump dead? If so are these NLA? Can I rebuild?

And yes I know that I cant run it all night I am just looking for a little boost of heat if it gets tooo cold at night.
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:40 pm

seriously, if you don't have a spare battery, I wouldn't even bother. you can run it two or maybe three cycles if your lucky before draining the battery.
IF your not also running lights or anything else while parked.

the 'Little Buddy' is what you want:

I bought the 'big buddy' but it's almost too big, and I almost never need it's full blast option (not to mention on full blast the big buddy will kill 2 of those little propane bottles in 4 hours.)

sorry I can't be of more help with the BA6. was it working before and it suddenly stopped, or are you trying to get it up and running for the first time?
1979 California Transporter

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:53 pm

These are nice too, and I think perhaps safer than propane heat.

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/show ... post/last/

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:26 pm

My BA-6 has a circuit breaker doo-dad in the control box(?) that, on mine, is under the dash. The box is about 2" wide by 1" high, black with a little red flipper/lever. That's the breaker. When my heater quits heatin' I reach under there and push that lever one way or the other. That seems to make it work again. I really want to learn exactly how the BA-6 works since (obviously) I don't really know. I do know that if they're not properly maintained, they can be a fire hazard, thus my wanting of knowledge. All the manuals I've seen are in German or don't quite explain their operation to the depth I'm looking for.

If it helps, here's the best I've found which is laborious at best.

http://www.vintagebus.com/techinfo/eber/index.html
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:43 am

chitwnvw wrote:These are nice too, and I think perhaps safer than propane heat.
http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/show ... post/last/
...And you can cook breakfast on it in the morning.

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mulcheese » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:45 am

airkooledchris wrote:seriously, if you don't have a spare battery, I wouldn't even bother. you can run it two or maybe three cycles if your lucky before draining the battery.

sorry I can't be of more help with the BA6. was it working before and it suddenly stopped, or are you trying to get it up and running for the first time?
I know that it will drain down the batt. but I want it just in case the kids are whinning about it being toooo cold. Then I might run it about one time in the middle of the night. I really am not interested in buying a extra heater since I would rarely if at all have a use for one, but thanks for the ideas.

I always thought that it worked on those cold days when I drive it to work but I am now thinking that my heat actually works just that good.

I am leaning towards the pump since everything else seems in working order but of course I could be wrong.
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."

boogie child
I'm New!

Post by boogie child » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:20 am

You said you turned the heat knob all the way on. Was that the aux heater knob or the heat slider on the dash. If the heat controll on the dash is not all the way on ie fully slid to the stopping point the aux will not function, I thought my heater had died but it was just the slider control just not quite at full on.
82 2.0 air cooled the boogie bus