Battery drain

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

satchmo
Old School!

Battery drain

Post by satchmo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:56 am

The battery on my 87 Vanagon drains completely if I don't start it at least once a week. I made sure everything is turned off and I checked all the wires I can check without fishing them out of the wire wrap. I made sure the wiring on the items I messed with is all good. This is starting to tick me off.

I read on another site that a good way to go about finding a current leak is to put your DC Amp meter (yeah, right, who has one of those laying around??) on the main battery cable then remove fuses one at a time until you find the circuit responsible for the drain. Then you need to check all the wires on that circuit.

It seems to me that only a few circuits/wires would have constant voltage with the ignition off and there must be some places that are more likely culprits for current loss than others. Do you have any suggestions?

I will likely start tearing into the dash and relay area tomorrow. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:28 am

Don't you have a standard VOM (volt-ohmmeter)? Most have an ammeter built in. If not, go buy a cheap one at Radio Shack. Very useful!

Do you have an aftermarket radio, CD player, booster amp, or CD changer installed? I had a defective changer in my New Beetle that drained the battery in a week.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:08 am

vwlover77 wrote:Don't you have a standard VOM (volt-ohmmeter)? Most have an ammeter built in. If not, go buy a cheap one at Radio Shack. Very useful!

Do you have an aftermarket radio, CD player, booster amp, or CD changer installed? I had a defective changer in my New Beetle that drained the battery in a week.
I have both a digital and an analog VOM. Neither one measures amps that I can tell. Do you know of some way to hook it up to do that?

There is an aftermarket CD player that has a removable face, so I have taken that off and checked the wiring. No help.

Tim

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:26 am

satchmo wrote:
vwlover77 wrote:Don't you have a standard VOM (volt-ohmmeter)? Most have an ammeter built in. If not, go buy a cheap one at Radio Shack. Very useful!

I have both a digital and an analog VOM. Neither one measures amps that I can tell. Do you know of some way to hook it up to do that?

There is an aftermarket CD player that has a removable face, so I have taken that off and checked the wiring. No help.

Tim
You have the single battery under the passenger seat?
At night, you can see the spark when you lightly touch the negative terminal to the post. Nice and comfy inside the car with all consumers off, you can remove each fuse and check the terminal. If every single fuse has been tested and you still get the little spark throughout, try the voltage regulator plug or plug at the back of the alternator. When a diode blows, it creates a nice little ground path.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:51 pm

dingo wrote:Heres a couple of electrical test i came across:
Checking Alternator diodes: Put the meter on 'AC' and connect black lead to a good ground, and red lead to the 'Bat' terminal on the alternator (NOT at the batt.). With engine running, a good alternator should read less than .5 VoltsAC. A higher reading indicates faulty or damaged diodes.
from here; viewtopic.php?t=295

Satch, maybe a stupid ?, but does the battery go flat if the neg. cable is disconnected? meaning the batt. is not holding a charge?
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:16 pm

midatlanticys wrote:
dingo wrote:Heres a couple of electrical test i came across:
Checking Alternator diodes: Put the meter on 'AC' and connect black lead to a good ground, and red lead to the 'Bat' terminal on the alternator (NOT at the batt.). With engine running, a good alternator should read less than .5 VoltsAC. A higher reading indicates faulty or damaged diodes.
from here; viewtopic.php?t=295

Satch, maybe a stupid ?, but does the battery go flat if the neg. cable is disconnected? meaning the batt. is not holding a charge?
Haven't tried that (neg cable disconnected, I mean) yet, but the battery is less than a year old. Thanks for the other link.

Tim

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:03 am

satchmo wrote:
Haven't tried that (neg cable disconnected, I mean) yet, but the battery is less than a year old. Thanks for the other link.

Tim
Don't rule out a bad battery. I preemptively replaced the Asstro's perfectly good battery only to have the new one display exactly the symptoms you're seeing a year later.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:07 am

Amskeptic wrote: You have the single battery under the passenger seat?
At night, you can see the spark when you lightly touch the negative terminal to the post. Nice and comfy inside the car with all consumers off, you can remove each fuse and check the terminal. If every single fuse has been tested and you still get the little spark throughout, try the voltage regulator plug or plug at the back of the alternator. When a diode blows, it creates a nice little ground path.
Colin
I checked all the fuses for a spark at the battery neg. terminal. With #3 removed, the spark is diminished almost to zero, but there is still a little one. Should there be no spark at all? It seems like every battery I have ever re-connected has at least a very tiny spark.

So #3 fuse is the interior lights, the radio and the cig. lighter. I'll take a look at all of those today. I will also take a look at the VR.

Tim

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:09 am

glasseye wrote:Don't rule out a bad battery.
I 2nd. Assumptions when troubleshooting are bad. :blackeye:

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:08 am

it does seem like an easy thing to test for.

disconnect the battery, then see if it still seems drained after a week of non-use.
1979 California Transporter

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:26 pm

satchmo wrote: With #3 removed, the spark is diminished almost to zero, but there is still a little one.
leave #3 out and start pulling the other fuses to see if you can eliminate the little spark too. You may find two circuits draining the battery. . . . or if the battery is on the way out you can watch it die on the VOM with the neg cable disconnected; 12.6v today, 12.2v tomorrow, 11.9v the next day etc and eventually DOA.
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Just an update: Battery is good. I left it disconnected all week and it is staying happily at 12.8 volts. So I am loosing juice someplace when it is connected. It looks like it is the radio, cig. lighter or interior lights. I will inspect all the connections on the circuit for fuse #3 when we get our spring weather back (32 and snowing/raining/blowing all day today, with a high wind warning tonight - bah!).

Tim

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:36 pm

satchmo wrote:Just an update: Battery is good. I left it disconnected all week and it is staying happily at 12.8 volts. So I am loosing juice someplace when it is connected. It looks like it is the radio, cig. lighter or interior lights. I will inspect all the connections on the circuit for fuse #3 when we get our spring weather back (32 and snowing/raining/blowing all day today, with a high wind warning tonight - bah!).

Tim
Find the problem! This is more exciting than "24".
A tiny little spark is OK for time display or radio memory.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:27 pm

Amskeptic wrote:This is more exciting than "24".
Colin
You guys need to get out more. :drunken:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:21 pm

With my bus, if I leave the radio faceplate on (when parked for a week) it'll drain the battery.

(I shouldn't be leaving it on anyway, on account of me living in the 'hood.)