Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:12 am

dhoch14 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
dhoch14 wrote: I am not hearing any abnormal sounds from the fuel pump. I also filled up the gas hoping this could solve the issue (bad gas or dilluting polluted gas). Nada.
The fuel pump is located near the starter AND below the tank levels.

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but how do I check the integrity of the electrical supply?

I have a back-up fuel pump I might consider putting in to see if it is actually the pump.
If your pump ever does give the death-rattle, fill up the gas tank pronto, this can help you get to where you are going so you can deal with it on your own terms. I was not thinking bad gas with the above suggestion, just get a good head of gravity fuel pressure for the pump. Your pump location is near the starter but on the car away from heat soak issues? Fuel lines away from big heat producers?

What I was recommending, was to check the integrity of the electrical supply for the pump only, not the whole car. I had a connection that went bad invisibly and I was dropping dead all over freeway onramps, bridge abutments, the car would just lose power and gas pedal seemed like a brake. Once I was futzing with wires, the pump would come back to life then die at the next inopportune time.
Colin
Yes, the fuel pump is away from major heat sources. Yikes, that would be dangerous.

I rewired the pump last night and made sure it was well insulated. Same issue. :pukeleft:

I'm thinking of replacing the fuel pump tonight and see if that makes a difference.

I hate throwing parts to "fix" things. Isn't this what GM does? :)

-dave
Heat is not that "dangerous" it is just annoying. It causes vapor lock and heat-soak flooding. What temperatures do you suppose the fuel pump nestled on top of the engine on a 1973 Lincoln, with the A/C on because it is frying out there on the L.I.E., gets to? More or less than a nice air-cooled VW?

Your symptoms again, are only occurring under a load and demand for fuel, but it runs WELL at slow speeds around the neighborhood, idles well pulls from the light nicely, starts right up, yaah?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:21 am

Amskeptic wrote:
dhoch14 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
dhoch14 wrote: I am not hearing any abnormal sounds from the fuel pump. I also filled up the gas hoping this could solve the issue (bad gas or dilluting polluted gas). Nada.
The fuel pump is located near the starter AND below the tank levels.

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but how do I check the integrity of the electrical supply?

I have a back-up fuel pump I might consider putting in to see if it is actually the pump.
If your pump ever does give the death-rattle, fill up the gas tank pronto, this can help you get to where you are going so you can deal with it on your own terms. I was not thinking bad gas with the above suggestion, just get a good head of gravity fuel pressure for the pump. Your pump location is near the starter but on the car away from heat soak issues? Fuel lines away from big heat producers?

What I was recommending, was to check the integrity of the electrical supply for the pump only, not the whole car. I had a connection that went bad invisibly and I was dropping dead all over freeway onramps, bridge abutments, the car would just lose power and gas pedal seemed like a brake. Once I was futzing with wires, the pump would come back to life then die at the next inopportune time.
Colin
Yes, the fuel pump is away from major heat sources. Yikes, that would be dangerous.

I rewired the pump last night and made sure it was well insulated. Same issue. :pukeleft:

I'm thinking of replacing the fuel pump tonight and see if that makes a difference.

I hate throwing parts to "fix" things. Isn't this what GM does? :)

-dave

Heat is not that "dangerous" it is just annoying. It causes vapor lock and heat-soak flooding. What temperatures do you suppose the fuel pump nestled on top of the engine on a 1973 Lincoln, with the A/C on because it is frying out there on the L.I.E., gets to? More or less than a nice air-cooled VW?
Your symptoms again, are only occurring under a load and demand for fuel, but it runs WELL at slow speeds around the neighborhood, idles well pulls from the light nicely, starts right up, yaah?
Colin
Correct and it is driving me crazy! :cyclopsani:

Tonight the backup fuel pump goes in.

-dave
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:40 pm

Tonight I replaced the Carter Rotary fuel pump with the "economy" spare.

Fired right up and purrrrred on the highway. Then on the way back the symptoms came back. :pale: This time in 2nd gear on a long uphill.

Here is a summary of what I have done to try and solve this problem:
- replaced fuel pump
- rerouted and cleaned wires to pump.
- replaced fuel filter
- confirmed tight spark plugs, rotor, & cap.

Sigh. I have no idea where to go from here. blah.

Could something be "clogged" or screwy with my carbs?

-dave
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:59 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:Kink in rubber fuel line, gas tank not venting properly? Fuel pump? How experienced are you at synch'ing carbs? Making same mistake repeatedly?
Next time it happens jump out and pop off the fuel cap quickly. If you hear air hissing , your tank ain't venting properly. if the tank doesn't vent , the pump creates a vacuum in the tank that it can no longer overcome. Did you eliminate the charcoal canister vapor recovery? Does your vent line now exit under the bus? Are the roads icy where you live? If yes to these questions your re-routed vent may be clogged with ice.

Or, maybe debris in tank is blocking the fuel pick up. Check the rubber fuel lines for kinks before resigning yourself to cleaning the tank.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:44 pm

These may seem like stupid questions, but:
Have you measured your fuel pump's volumetric output under working pressure? Do you know that it's actually delivering the amount of fuel the engine needs at full load?

Are you using a fuel pressure regulator? Have you measured the pressure being delivered to the carbs under load and compared it to when the engine is running strongly?

Seems to me that a first cut at finding this out would be to get a cheap vacuum/fuel-pressure gauge, tee it into the carb fuel rail somehow (sorry, not very familiar with early type IV systems), then drive around with a friend in the back to watch the fuel pressure under different driving conditions ('73 had the inside access hatch, didn't it?)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:55 pm

SlowLane wrote:These may seem like stupid questions, but:
Have you measured your fuel pump's volumetric output under working pressure? Do you know that it's actually delivering the amount of fuel the engine needs at full load?

Are you using a fuel pressure regulator? Have you measured the pressure being delivered to the carbs under load and compared it to when the engine is running strongly?

Seems to me that a first cut at finding this out would be to get a cheap vacuum/fuel-pressure gauge, tee it into the carb fuel rail somehow (sorry, not very familiar with early type IV systems), then drive around with a friend in the back to watch the fuel pressure under different driving conditions ('73 had the inside access hatch, didn't it?)
Very sensible sane suggestion to help you narrow this down quickly and efficiently.

Now, allow me an exploding variable like a Sambanista:
When it happens again, carefully touch the coil. Is it hot? Replace. Points and condensor too.
Colin !

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:55 am

S__T his the fan this morning.

After replacing the fuel pump with the backup, I had a minor hiccup then no issues so I thought, ok, I can drive it. Wellllll, on the way into work today, it crapped out on me right on the highway. I thought, well at least I can get home via backroads. I tried to baby it home and got about 2 miles away, but had to concede to a McDonald's parking lot as it wouldn't even hold idle anymore and was stalling out. Lots of bucking and full pedal doesn't get me over 20 mph.

:pukeleft: So, now I'm even more confused. Is it really possible that 2 fuel pumps are bad or that there something fudgy in my fuel taken despite the filter(s) being clean? Perhaps I should just throw parts at the ignition system?!

I tried putting on my backup coil (only takes 1 minute). No dice.

I left the bus there to come home and regroup. I have a backup 009 w/ points that I'm going to throw on there in case my Pertronix or Dual Vac Dizzy is wack.

Crosseyed and Painless
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:10 pm

Towed her home. I played around for 45 minutes before I called AAA. It looks like my LEFT carb is acting wackadoodle under load. I'm going to confirm that full fuel is getting to the LEFT carb then work by way into the carb as need be (insert guidance here).

Closer yet farther!
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:25 pm

dhoch14 wrote:Towed her home. I played around for 45 minutes before I called AAA. It looks like my LEFT carb is acting wackadoodle under load. I'm going to confirm that full fuel is getting to the LEFT carb then work by way into the carb as need be (insert guidance here).

Closer yet farther!
Dual carbs can be tricky. While you have to appreciate the redundancy of having two separate carburetors to help you limp down the road, the one can mask the death of the other.

Now tell me what makes you think that the LEFT carb is your problem under load? There are quick basic swaps you can do to see if the problem follows the swap. Swap the cut-off jets. Does the problem move right or stay LEFT?
ColinNotYetConvincedButSorryForYourTroubles

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:25 am

Try this one on for size:

Sunday I "started over" on this PAIN-IN-THE-ARSE problem.

I confirmed that gas is pumping to each carb(though I didn't test the pressure). I did not see any rust or debris as I pumped the gas into a clear bucket.

Then I did the following:
- Pulled each carb, open & explored for crap (still clean from my rebuild 4 years ago). Tightened anything that could be tightened. Interesting to note that a LOT had come loose over the years.
- I put in my backup dual vac dizzy with properly gapped points. No more Pertronix!
- Timed the new dizzy and confirmed an acceptable dwell (44).
- Synched the carbs like my life depended on it. With the snail AND the "wow, look at me, I have an awesome air flow measuring device, but I still can't dial in my carbs!"
- Replaced 2 rubber elbows that had cracks in them.

Wala, she runs again and has plenty of power. I drove around for about an hour, but didn't venture on to the highway. I'm still a little nervous about that.

I have no clue what "fixed" the issue and it makes my head hurt. :blackeye:

In all, I ended doing the following.
- Ignition system: replaced coil, dizzy, points, roter, + cap.
- Fuel delivery: replaced fuel filter, fuel pump, & tightened everything on the carbs included cut-off jets.

< begin sarcasm >
So there you have it kids, if you throw enough parts at a problem it will just "magically" go away. < end sarcasm >
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:07 pm

I have no idea. Maybe something was wacky with your carbs that needed attention. Maybe this whole site (and internet) is a fever-dream and it's really 1928.
Sometimes when something is invisibly wrong with a part, you have to just go thru and replace likely suspects. If you do it part-by-part until it no longer fails then you can isolate it.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:27 pm

dhoch14 wrote: Replaced 2 rubber elbows that had cracks in them.
Wala, she runs again and has plenty of power.

I have no clue what "fixed" the issue and it makes my head hurt. :blackeye:

< begin sarcasm >
So there you have it kids, if you throw enough parts at a problem it will just "magically" go away. < end sarcasm >
Voila! Congratulations! Your bus lives another day and you get to figure it out next time . . . :pirate:
Colin

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:41 am

Drove into work fine this morning. Avoided the highways, but she is chugging along.

Fingers crossed.
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali