1977 Westfalia - Buzzing Noise -Vibration

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mattg
Old School!

1977 Westfalia - Buzzing Noise -Vibration

Post by mattg » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:34 pm

OK - now lets play name that noise. In 2nd and 3rd gear as I accelerate I notice a weird buzz that will last for about a second or two and then goes away as I continue to accelerate in gear. It seems to be some type of vibration that is coming from the rear of the vehicle - on the inside - perhaps on the right rear. As I stick my head out the window while I am driving the sound does not seem to be coming from outside. I have looked around inside and have not found anything that is rattling. The vibration happens at higher rpms and is not at all audible at idle. Any ideas? I would like to rule out any major issues - The bus starts, stops and continues to run fine. I have yet to hear the noise in 1st or 4th gear even as I was cruising at 65 yesterday.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:54 pm

I checked a few things today - read some older posts and still am unclear where the noise is coming from. I can reproduce the sound when I give it gas in gear. I cannot reproduce the sound out of gear. Is there a sound that the fuel pump gives when it is on its last leg. The bus does not hesitate under load. I am stumped and driving the family crazy. How about the transmission - does it ever make a buzzing, whirling sound only under load - the bus stays in gear and does not seem to have any signs of transmission trouble. Ramblin on - winter is approaching. Only a few more weeks until it is parked in the garage and this noise takes a break only to reappear in the spring.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:53 pm

Had that happen on mine and changing out the tranny fluid with Redline MT90 got it 1/2 way eliminated. Refurbishing the clutch cable, pedal and connections got it the rest of the way. Mine was a whirring noise only while in motion. Usually in 2nd. I think it was the whir of the gears vibrating through the cable.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:36 pm

mattg wrote:I checked a few things today - read some older posts and still am unclear where the noise is coming from. I can reproduce the sound when I give it gas in gear. I cannot reproduce the sound out of gear. Is there a sound that the fuel pump gives when it is on its last leg. The bus does not hesitate under load. I am stumped and driving the family crazy. How about the transmission - does it ever make a buzzing, whirling sound only under load - the bus stays in gear and does not seem to have any signs of transmission trouble. Ramblin on - winter is approaching. Only a few more weeks until it is parked in the garage and this noise takes a break only to reappear in the spring.
Imagine that the engine/transaxle combination twists a little under load and the heater control valve on the right is vibrating against the bell housing carrier support, or something like that.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:52 am

Maybe a loose tin?
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.

Robert
I'm New!

Post by Robert » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:44 pm

Sounds like a sympathetic viberation.
Bob
1980 vanagon "ELVA'S LOVE"
If it can't be done in a kilt it is probable not worth doing!

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:11 pm

Sluggo wrote:Had that happen on mine and changing out the tranny fluid with Redline MT90 got it 1/2 way eliminated. Refurbishing the clutch cable, pedal and connections got it the rest of the way. Mine was a whirring noise only while in motion. Usually in 2nd. I think it was the whir of the gears vibrating through the cable.

Was it a buzzing noise? This noise kinda sounds like a buzzer if you were to remove the keys without turning the lights out kinda thing...

77 Westy 2.0 FI

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:14 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
mattg wrote:I checked a few things today - read some older posts and still am unclear where the noise is coming from. I can reproduce the sound when I give it gas in gear. I cannot reproduce the sound out of gear. Is there a sound that the fuel pump gives when it is on its last leg. The bus does not hesitate under load. I am stumped and driving the family crazy. How about the transmission - does it ever make a buzzing, whirling sound only under load - the bus stays in gear and does not seem to have any signs of transmission trouble. Ramblin on - winter is approaching. Only a few more weeks until it is parked in the garage and this noise takes a break only to reappear in the spring.
Imagine that the engine/transaxle combination twists a little under load and the heater control valve on the right is vibrating against the bell housing carrier support, or something like that.
Colin

What are you saying - should I check the heater control valve? I am very good at imagining - not so good with diagnosing unknown noises - all of sudden I hear a voice - do you hear that voice. You know what I'm saying.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:15 pm

I think if I have the wife sit in the back she can help me determine where the noise is originating from. Only problem is getting out for a quick ride with 3 kids 5 and under. Perhaps she can narrow down the source of my unknown noise.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

AzironaZack
I'm New!

Post by AzironaZack » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:18 pm

My guess is that you're missing a bushing on the torque tube for your shifter and that the tube is vibrating inside of the tube that it runs through to get to the transmission.

I only guess that because I've had that trouble myself. It was annoying and it only occurred within a narrow range of engine RPM (I guess it must have been some sort of harmonic frequency).
Finally feels almost like a bus ought to feel!

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:29 pm

AzironaZack wrote:My guess is that you're missing a bushing on the torque tube for your shifter and that the tube is vibrating inside of the tube that it runs through to get to the transmission.

I only guess that because I've had that trouble myself. It was annoying and it only occurred within a narrow range of engine RPM (I guess it must have been some sort of harmonic frequency).
I will check it out and see if this corrects the noise. Hopefully this weekend I will have my wife in the back to determine the exact origin of the noise. I will report back with any findings.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:38 pm

Check to see if the outer sheet metal on your heater boxes is vibrating against the inner core. Give them a rap with the palm of your hand to see if any strange vibrations result. Also check where the fresh air pipes route through the tin. Anything rubbing or loose?
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen