B comprehensive but limited
20%
B comprehensive but limited
20%

Total votes: 50

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:47 am

Somewhere in between. Example: I wanna know why the part is there and what it is supposed to do, but I don't necessarily need wire sizes.
Of the two, I'd pick B and sort through it. My 2c.

Rob

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:25 pm

Hippie wrote:Somewhere in between. Example: I wanna know why the part is there and what it is supposed to do, but I don't necessarily need wire sizes.
Of the two, I'd pick B and sort through it. My 2c.

Rob
As I develop some time efficiency, I will try to lean towards B while knocking out A. I am not Ratwell. You will not get wire sizes from me. . .

Colin :flower:
(oh, and I am deleting that chatter up above, this is a technical forum)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

OB Bus

Post by OB Bus » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:19 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
....(oh, and I am deleting that chatter up above, this is a technical forum)
Oh no Mr. Breeze - please slowly remove your fingers from that keyboard.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:19 pm

Amskeptic wrote:As I develop some time efficiency, I will try to lean towards B while knocking out A. I am not Ratwell. You will not get wire sizes from me. . .
Colin
I pretty much like the way you explain things in person. Straight forward with a question and the answer right behind. Maybe just pretend your sitting in a driveway at 4 PM, all greasy, and type like you'd talk?
I dunno.
I like Ratwell's site really muchly for research but Q & A is a different animal.
On the rants and stuff, you write beautifully, but over my head. I can't always follow the peaks and valleys of the word stream. Hasn't been a problem with answers though.
Just a collection of my somewhat-medicated thoughts tonight.
With that, you and Sluggo are assets to the community, however you choose to elaborate. I really appreciate this forum and the chance to get that hands on instruction once a year.

Rob

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:51 pm

I voted for A, just another lemming on the march...

For me, at least, I'm not necessarily looking for total resolution, just a helpful nudge in the right direction.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:22 pm

well, count me as a vote for B.

first off, I'm slow. At reading, at figuring stuff out.. etc. the more detail you explain, the more familar it becomes to me. If I want shorthand.. say I want to take it out to the bus to rebuild the muffler bearings, I can translate your notes into my own shorthand, which also helps me remember.

secondly,
there's a lot of other sites and books out there; most have the same level of detail on the same mundne stuff.

If you cherry pick a smaller but more detailed number of issues, your jedi expertise and detailed explanations will be far more valuable than a brief explanation of stuff that's covered in many other places.

Of course, I'm biased.

-BB

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:37 pm

justgimmecoffee wrote:there's a lot of other sites
If you cherry pick a smaller but more detailed number of issues, your jedi expertise and detailed explanations will be far more valuable than a brief explanation of stuff that's covered in many other places.

Of course, I'm biased.

-BB
Very good points. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:02 pm

I agree with coffeedude....'B' allows you to use your talent for mechanical prose...which makes for much better reading. Besides whats the rush? trying to get to that next red light ?
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:14 am

It's hard to take a "global approach" when all problems are unique. These guys are right tho, no sense making it too dry we should be havin some fun too.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:59 pm

How about A at first with hopes of B later. That way we have the troubleshooter here quickly. And then it can be elaborated upon over time.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Sean Gallagher
Addicted!

Post by Sean Gallagher » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:57 pm

If you're like me, you probably need the "B".
1957 Oval (36HP 6 volt)
1959 SO-23 Westfalia (36HP 6 volt)
1978 Kombi (6 volts too many!)

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:41 pm

I've been silently watching this thread since it started. (Except for my frivolous post which was deleted! :geek: ) My initial reaction was "B" because that's what makes this site different and special.

As I read the responses, I saw the reasoning behind "A", and was almost swayed......

But I'm sticking with "B".

Another thought: "B" also lets other members test and temper their knowledge with responses. It may stand perfectly well on its own, in which case Colin can move on to other topics. Or, it may require correction or clarification in a "B" style, which helps us all.

We all appreciate the confidence we can place in a response from Colin. But if others are advising well, maybe all that's needed in that case is a "stamp of approval" post from Colin to indicate that the advice others are dishing out is good.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:54 pm

vwlover77 wrote: Another thought: "B" also lets other members test and temper their knowledge with responses. It may stand perfectly well on its own, in which case Colin can move on to other topics. Or, it may require correction or clarification in a "B" style, which helps us all.
Sold!
I had mentioned in my final year at theSamba that rather than bark "use the search!" the more experienced could let the intermediates have a go at informing the neophytes instead of driving themselves crazy answering the same questions ad nauseum. And I had mentioned here that I like actual human answers for the neophytes who come trickling in with the basic starter questions, "How much oil does my Volkswagon hold?"
and they can get a gentle nudge towards the long march to competence.
"What make and model of V-o-l-k-s-w-a-g-E-n do you have. . . . . . . . . .?"

So yes, I will try to visit/audit all the advice that is generated here, and will also try to do more thorough answers for our growing body of technical topics.
Colin

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:36 pm

Don't take on too much Big Guy. Your job is not to single-handedly save all the Aircooled noobs. Answer what you can, when you can. Let others take up the slack.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:08 pm

The input from a variety of posters is invaluable. What one says poorly, another can clarify, like, totally.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.