Idle stabilizer unit wire broken

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

83AC
Getting Hooked!

Idle stabilizer unit wire broken

Post by 83AC » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:25 am

Our 1983 air cooled CA vanagon isn't starting after I pulled the engine and replaced the oil seal. I have double and triple checked that everything is reconnected and where it is supposed to be. Starter motor turns, gas pump moves gas through lines, so it seems like no spark, which I will be confirming when I have a second set of hands this evening. I don't know what might be causing the issue if there is no spark.

The only thing I have found that may have happened is one of the three wires (the green one to be precise) connected to the idle stabilizer unit plug, is broken off at the base of the plug. Could that be the culprit? I'll have some one or some tape hold it in place and see if it makes a difference also. If so, how do I fix that? There isn't wire hanging out for me to splice together, so I need to figure out how to get one in there solidly.

Let's see what you fine folks come up with!
Say what you mean; do what you say.
1983 AC Vanagon camper - Penny Lane

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Idle stabilizer unit wire broken

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:26 pm

83AC wrote:Our 1983 air cooled CA vanagon isn't starting after I pulled the engine and replaced the oil seal. I have double and triple checked that everything is reconnected and where it is supposed to be. Starter motor turns, gas pump moves gas through lines, so it seems like no spark, which I will be confirming when I have a second set of hands this evening. I don't know what might be causing the issue if there is no spark.

The only thing I have found that may have happened is one of the three wires (the green one to be precise) connected to the idle stabilizer unit plug, is broken off at the base of the plug. Could that be the culprit? I'll have some one or some tape hold it in place and see if it makes a difference also. If so, how do I fix that? There isn't wire hanging out for me to splice together, so I need to figure out how to get one in there solidly.

Let's see what you fine folks come up with!
We can only speculate from our keyboards while you are there. If you have to whittle the plug to get enough wire to splice, do so. If you can clean the copper well and solder quickly and effectively, you might manage. You might need a replacement plug with wires attached and do a proper splice further up the wires.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

83AC
Getting Hooked!

Post by 83AC » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:11 am

Alright - 2 wires broke at he plug and the rest near the plugs were so deteriorated it was only a matter of time. Kubler and Tristessa came out and helped me do a proper solder and heat shrink splice to bypass the stabilizer unit. She started up and is running solid! No oil leak now! Yee-hoo!

This morning I took her into Les Schwab and asked for a balance and rotation. Turns out Gypsie was right - separated right rear tire. They are putting on new tires (yes, correct rating and heavy duty like the ones I have on now), and that ought to take care of the vibrations we were getting. We are pumped and ready to take her down to Bend for the weekend!

Next up will be:
front bushings and ball joints
spacers to correct lean in the rear and possibly slightly raise It for heavier loads (maybe not)
EGR blockoff kit (in the mail) to correct a vacuum leak
Make a gasket to replace a leaky one
new o-ring for the overflow oil . . . thingy - I forget the name
clean the engine compartment

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:13 pm

83AC wrote: new o-ring for the overflow oil . . . thingy - I forget the name
D'you mean the crankcase ventilation valve? The round plastic thingy which sockets into the metal pipe thingy on top of the engine and has a big fat hose thingy coming out the side?

I got a bag of those o-ring thingys that I ordered from Amazon. Good Viton ones. It's an odd metric size that you will probably not find at Home Depot.

PM me your address and I'll pop a couple or three into the mail for ya. Use one and share the rest.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

83AC
Getting Hooked!

Post by 83AC » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:13 pm

SlowLane wrote:
83AC wrote: new o-ring for the overflow oil . . . thingy - I forget the name
D'you mean the crankcase ventilation valve? The round plastic thingy which sockets into the metal pipe thingy on top of the engine and has a big fat hose thingy coming out the side?

I got a bag of those o-ring thingys that I ordered from Amazon. Good Viton ones. It's an odd metric size that you will probably not find at Home Depot.

PM me your address and I'll pop a couple or three into the mail for ya. Use one and share the rest.
You are a saint, my friend! Awesome! That is exactly the part I was referring to haha!
PM coming your way now - thanks a ton!

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:41 am

O-rings are in the mail.

I've got 5 more to share, if anyone else is interested. Just PM me an address.

And here's a link to the o-rings I purchased on Amazon, in case anybody wishes to order their own: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005RUSZL4/ref=biss_dp_t_asn
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett