Massive clanging noise and scraping while rotating the eng

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Re: Massive clanging noise and scraping while rotating the e

Post by kreemoweet » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:44 pm

SlowLane wrote: You would think . . . there would be some detailed instructions . . .
You want detailed instructions? How about a download of the 150-page Disk Spring Engineering Handbook from Schnorr:
http://www.schnorr.com/downloads.html

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:19 am

All of which brings me to this:
Schnorrer (שנאָרער; also spelled shnorrer) is a Yiddish term meaning "beggar" or "sponger".[1] The word Schnorrer also occurs in German to describe a freeloader who frequently asks for little things, like cigarettes or little sums of money, without offering a return. The English usage of the word denotes a sly chiseler who will get money out of his acquaintances any way he can, often through an air of entitlement. A schnorrer is distinguished from an ordinary beggar by dint of his boundless chutzpah. Like "moocher", "schnorrer" does not apply to direct begging or destitution, but rather a habit of getting things (food, tools) by politely or insistently borrowing them with no intention of return.

The term, which is used in a pejorative or ironic sense, can also be used as a backhanded compliment to someone's perseverance, cleverness, or thrift. For instance, Azriel Hildesheimer, known for his travels around Europe to spread his rabbinical wisdom to the poor, and for his refusal to accept payment for his services, was sometimes referred to as the "international schnorrer" for his reliance on the local community to house and feed him wherever he went. Alternatively, Theodor Herzl described his early Eastern European immigrant supporters among the Ostjuden, as his "army of schnorrers".[2] Israel Zangwill later described a schnorrer as a beggar who would chide a donor for not giving enough. The Schnorrer Club of Morrisania was a German-American social club in the Bronx, New York.

Schnorrers sometimes begged for the dowries of poor women (Hakhnasat Kallah); a practice which was allowed even when it disrupted the public study of the Torah.[3]

Additionally, the word is the origin of the modern Hebrew verb לשנורר (leshnorer), which can be roughly defined as "getting small things without offering return."

"Hey, Colin...got a smoke and a Diet Coke for me?"

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:22 pm

Gotta love it. Only on the IAC would one get to read a treatise on Schnorrers while browsing the Troubleshooting/Diagnosis Forum.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:27 pm

Jivermo wrote:All of which brings me to this:
Schnorrer (שנאָרער; also spelled shnorrer) is a Yiddish term meaning "beggar" or "sponger".[1] The word Schnorrer also occurs in German to describe a freeloader who frequently asks for little things, like cigarettes or little sums of money, without offering a return. The English usage of the word denotes a sly chiseler who will get money out of his acquaintances any way he can, often through an air of entitlement. A schnorrer is distinguished from an ordinary beggar by dint of his boundless chutzpah. Like "moocher", "schnorrer" does not apply to direct begging or destitution, but rather a habit of getting things (food, tools) by politely or insistently borrowing them with no intention of return.

Schnorrers sometimes begged for the dowries of poor women (Hakhnasat Kallah); a practice which was allowed even when it disrupted the public study of the Torah.[3]

Additionally, the word is the origin of the modern Hebrew verb לשנורר (leshnorer), which can be roughly defined as "getting small things without offering return."

"Hey, Colin...got a smoke and a Diet Coke for me?"
"
Since I am in Germany, I asked a German about the word "Schnorrer". He said the meaning would be a scrounger not a beggar. So these Schorr washers must be begging to be new when installed on new CV bolts.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Ronin10
Getting Hooked!

Post by Ronin10 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:38 pm

Back to our regularly scheduled discussion...

Greta is back up and running and no horrific sounds are issuing from the engine compartment. I think we can confirm that the loose, lower left hand fan shroud mounting stud was indeed the issue. I also installed new outer CV boots leading to the discussion above re: the merits of Schnorr washers. I also took care of two oil leaks, one from a crack in the bakelite spacer on my unused manual fuel pump and the other from the main seal behind the fan itself. We'll see if these hold up over time.

I did however, generate a new leak while replacing the gasket on the oil filler tube. I've got those bolts torque down thoroughly, but it's still leaking out. Since I just put in fresh oil, in the interim, I"ll spread a little ultra copper on there to stop it temporarily and then pull the filler tube on my next oil change, inspect and/or clean up the surfaces and try again.
Oscar: 1976 Sage Green Bus, Stock Motor, Solid Lifters, Manual Transaxle

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:25 pm

Ronin10 wrote: A) Greta is back up and running and no horrific sounds are issuing from the engine compartment.

B) leak on the oil filler tube.
a) It is with great pleasure that I bask in the inestimable satisfaction of helping to avoid an unnecessary engine drop by means of a careful and methodical progression of inquiry.

b) therefore, I do not yet concur that you necessarily have a leak at the actual oil filler pipe flange gasket, and must inquire of some additional information, to wit:

1. you do know that the gasket is not symmetrical and must be installed in the correct orientation
2. you have ascertained that the oil filler neck is fully seated on the metal pipe in the keyed slots and is clamped either with the corbin clamp or whatever clamp, yes? Oil can trickle down in a very subtle wet little stream that blends in nicely with the shiny black paint if you have shiny black paint.
3) colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Ronin10
Getting Hooked!

Post by Ronin10 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:42 pm

I'm pretty confident that the gasket or one of the faces is the source of the leak. Checking the tube-gasket-block interface over the course of ten minutes, I could see the drop form with no oil streams leading to that interface, verified with paper towel probing.

I did notice the asymmetry of the gasket, but was pretty sure I had it oriented correctly. It is possible it got discombobulated while putting the filter pipe through the necessary gymnastics to get it oriented in place. Will double check when I pull it off.
Oscar: 1976 Sage Green Bus, Stock Motor, Solid Lifters, Manual Transaxle