1.9 wasserboxer wont start

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

1.9 wasserboxer wont start

Post by energyturtle » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:18 pm

Hello Community. This is not an aircooled question, but a hopeful diagnosis of a 1.9 wasserboxer in a 1987 vanagon GL. I am trying to get this thing back on the road for a friend. I have never worked on a water cooled vanagon before, but when I raised the engine compartment lid I was pleasantly surprised at how similar the engine is to Energyturtles 2.0. I was very confident at fixing the no start issue, so I went to work.....ignition and timing good, fuel good, air good. Turned the key crank, crank, crank WTF? So I poured some gas down the s-boot hit the key vroom. The motor sounded great. After it used the gas I poured in it died immediately. As I stated, the fuel is getting all the way to the injector rail and has good pressure. I pulled the plug at each injector and tested with the multimeter and they are getting the signal to spray. I pulled the injectors and they were filthy. I sprayed them with carb cleaner, reinstalled and nothing. I then pulled the injectors again and had the owner crank while I was looking for spray. No spray. I am at a loss so any help is greatly appreciated. She has no Bentley and I do not know how the components of the F.I. works versus the 1978 that I am very confident in working with. Please help a scrambled brain :shaking: :angryfire:
Scottie

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 1.9 wasserboxer wont start

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:03 pm

energyturtle wrote: I pulled the plug at each injector and tested with the multimeter and they are getting the signal to spray.
crank No spray.
Scottie
You know that the injectors are supplied with 12 volts any time the ignition is on.
To test for firing, you need to have (+) of a simple test light on the injector terminal that has 12 volts when the ignition is on. Then have the engine cranked while you have the (-) of the test light on the other terminal.
Then you will see if the light actually pulses. The ECU provides the ground for the injectors. It needs to have its own grounds in good shape or it can't ground the injectors.
Check all grounds. On the baywindow, for example, it would be #5 #10 and #17, IIRC. You would also check for the ignition signal pulse from the (-) terminal of the coil.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ainokea
I'm New!

Re: 1.9 wasserboxer wont start

Post by ainokea » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:41 am

The 1.9 Wasserboxer with a no start problem. I'd be willing to bet the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump itself is gone.In the engine compartment on the left, there is a black plastic container with two side by side, four terminal relays. One of these relays is the fuel pump relay. if you jump across terminals 30 and 87, you will hear the fuel pump activate with a soft humming sound. As long as the relay is jumped you should be able to start the engine. It will die as soon as contact is broken. If, on the other hand, you don't hear the fuel pump running when jumping the relay, the pump itself may be faulty. There are two relays, most of the time they are identical, but one is power supply and the other is the fuel pump. Be sure you have the right one for the fuel pump. To be sure of the terminal numbers, pull one relay and note the position of 30 and 87........NOTE: I realize this is a response to an old thread, but the info is useful for the wasserboxer 1.9 and 2.1 engines... Ainokea