Bus won't break 35 mph

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

kiltgy
Getting Hooked!

Bus won't break 35 mph

Post by kiltgy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:23 pm

Took my 74 (dual carbs) on an 1800 mile trek around oregon. No problem.

Colin came by the next week. We went through the bus. No major problems.

The following weekend I drove to Seattle (180 miles) no problem.

On the way home, about 100 miles in, the bus died. Se acted like she was running out of gas.

Eventually got her started agin by monkeying with the fuel mixture and idle. Limped it home.

Went through everything. Replaced the fuel filter. Blew out the fuel line. There was a little bit of junk in the line.

Got it all cleaned out.

Put everything back together.

Took the bus to the coast (90 miles). On the way out I could not get the bus above 50 mph. On the way home i was down to 35. Climbing hills I was down to about 12 mph (regardless of grade). The bus starts great and runs fine all the way to 35 mph. Then it is like a giant hand just grabs it and pulls it back.

I have replaced the fuel filter attached the the fuel pump. The fuel pump works. The fuel line is clear and flowing well. The fuel pressure regulator is clean. We checked and re-synched the carbs.

I am STUMPED.

Ideas?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Bus won't break 35 mph

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:42 pm

kiltgy wrote: (90 miles). On the way out I could not get the bus above 50 mph.
On the way home i was down to 35. Climbing hills I was down to about 12 mph (regardless of grade).
Ideas?
I must warn you not to push a VW when it is not feeling well. Let's say you have a fuel starvation issue, your foot-to-the-floor at 50 mph is going to be a lean blow torch on the valves.

Start your diagnostics with a plug pull. Let me know if they are scorched white, and if there is a noticeable variation between 3/4 and 1/2.

Check fuel hose for a dumb kink or pinch. If you are absolutely sure that all solenoids are functional (a good idle ) then please go buy a spare fuel pump (you need one anyway) and do a swap. Check timing and let us know if you get 28* at 3,400 rpm.

Do not dump a totally stumped here. You need to give us some primary effort at diagnosing. Hey! I am a teacher too, no grumbling.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:15 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
kiltgy wrote: (90 miles). On the way out I could not get the bus above 50 mph.
On the way home i was down to 35. Climbing hills I was down to about 12 mph (regardless of grade).
Ideas?
I must warn you not to push a VW when it is not feeling well. Let's say you have a fuel starvation issue, your foot-to-the-floor at 50 mph is going to be a lean blow torch on the valves.

Start your diagnostics with a plug pull. Let me know if they are scorched white, and if there is a noticeable variation between 3/4 and 1/2.

Check fuel hose for a dumb kink or pinch. If you are absolutely sure that all solenoids are functional (a good idle ) then please go buy a spare fuel pump (you need one anyway) and do a swap. Check timing and let us know if you get 28* at 3,400 rpm.

Do not dump a totally stumped here. You need to give us some primary effort at diagnosing. Hey! I am a teacher too, no grumbling.
Colin
If you don't get 28-30 degrees at 3400 rpm, check your distributor vacuum can, advance (cone shaped) side, for leakage.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:12 am

"A little bit of junk in the line."

I suggest looking a little closer at this too. I had similar symptoms and found that my tank was full of very fine rust. It had gummed up the fuel pump quite a bit. Taking the pump off and tapping it on the deck produced globs of rust/gas gel. It wasn't all that apparent from looking at the filter or fuel line though.
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:45 am

satchmo wrote: If you don't get 28-30 degrees at 3400 rpm, check your distributor vacuum can, advance (cone shaped) side, for leakage.
Tim
That specification is centrifugal advance no vacuum hose.
With the vacuum hose, he should get a 40* BTDC at a throttle blip.
Since he is (I think . . .) pretty much flooring it, the vacuum advance signal is no longer in the mix.
ItzaWeirdOne
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:46 am

Kubelwagen wrote:"A little bit of junk in the line."

I suggest looking a little closer at this too. I had similar symptoms and found that my tank was full of very fine rust. It had gummed up the fuel pump quite a bit. Taking the pump off and tapping it on the deck produced globs of rust/gas gel. It wasn't all that apparent from looking at the filter or fuel line though.
Thank-you, good point.
Colin

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:22 pm

you definitely have a fuel supply restriction. When its not running well is it only running on 2 cylinders on 1 side, or all 4 poorly?
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:02 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:you definitely have a fuel supply restriction. When its not running well is it only running on 2 cylinders on 1 side, or all 4 poorly?
Another good point!
Colin

kiltgy
Getting Hooked!

Post by kiltgy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:05 pm

Ok, back. Sorry it has taken me so long to get on this. The rest of my life has kicked in to high gear :(

Replaced the fuel pump. No change.

Pulled each plug wire. Response on all four cylinders.

Engine immediately dies when throttle is opened.

Pulled the solenoid wires on the driver's side. No response. Pulled all the solenoid wires at the coil and the engine died. (Granted, the engine has been doing a lot of dying).

So, current thought is solenoids? yes?

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:39 pm

Ok so it runs poorly on all 4. We need to figure out if this is a fuel supply or ignition problem. I suspect fuel supply. Did gas flow freely out of the hose from the fuel tank when it was disconnected from the pump while you were changing it? If not figure out why, because this your problem.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:27 am

kiltgy wrote: Pulled the solenoid wires on the driver's side. No response.
Pulled all the solenoid wires at the coil and the engine died.
current thought is solenoids? yes?
No, you slip past specificity, leaving us maddeningly lost yet.

You pulled WHICH solenoid wire on driver's side? You have the
central big one or left-carb-only little one.

No response you mean there was no change in idle, right? So that is the problem child, whichever one you select, central or left side only.
Let's say that the central is OK and the left side is the one playing dead. Switch the solenoid with the right side one. Did the problem switch sides too? Then the solenoid itself is a problem.
Did the problem stay on the left? Likely dirt in the carb passages
(or needle valve is sticking closed IF the central idling circuit is ALSO playing dead).
Colin