Hot Start and Bucking Problem

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dingo
IAC Addict!

Re: Hot Start and Bucking Problem

Post by dingo » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:55 pm

rather resistance in the coil windings.

interesting...so how does this get resolved ??
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:18 pm

dingo wrote:rather resistance in the coil windings.

interesting...so how does this get resolved ??
It doesn't. It gets replaced. Hot start relays help delay the eventual reckoning.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Sorry for the lack of updates recently. I have been travelling too much for work lately. Currently in Houston :silent: (last week was Indiana, the week before was Austria... Austria was nice though)

When I get back, I will do the voltage drop test (using the wire from the ignition connecting to the solenoid). Hopefully I can take this measurement with the starter working, and with it not working.

You mentioned the starter eventually gets replaced. Would a re-build be likely to fix this? I trust an OG starter used and rebuilt more than I would trust whatever new starter I might find today.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:39 pm

drober23 wrote:Sorry for the lack of updates recently. I have been travelling too much for work lately. Currently in Houston :silent: (last week was Indiana, the week before was Austria... Austria was nice though)

When I get back, I will do the voltage drop test (using the wire from the ignition connecting to the solenoid). Hopefully I can take this measurement with the starter working, and with it not working.

You mentioned the starter eventually gets replaced. Would a re-build be likely to fix this? I trust an OG starter used and rebuilt more than I would trust whatever new starter I might find today.
I do not think that any "rebuilders" are re-winding solenoids.
Colin

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:34 am

I finally did my voltage drop test.

My battery was at 12.5v and I was getting 11.9 at the wire from the starter to the solenoid. The solenoid failed a couple times when the bus was cold (morning) and the voltage was the same as when it worked.

I see that replacement Bosch solenoids are available. Have people had luck with them? If so, I will probably go that route, as it doesn't seem like I'm losing too much voltage.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:46 am

drober23 wrote:I finally did my voltage drop test.

My battery was at 12.5v and I was getting 11.9 at the wire from the starter to the solenoid. The solenoid failed a couple times when the bus was cold (morning) and the voltage was the same as when it worked.

I see that replacement Bosch solenoids are available. Have people had luck with them? If so, I will probably go that route, as it doesn't seem like I'm losing too much voltage.
I put in a trick little Bosch reduction gear complete starter in the Road Warrior that worked perfectly forever until the car was killed. Eight years of hellish heat, no problemo.

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:46 am

I bought one of the solenoids and discovered its coil resistance was much lower than the original. I forget the numbers.
That would have meant more current flow through the solenoid = more current through wiring = more voltage drop across wiring.
So then I went with the hot start relay and stayed with my original solenoid.
I still intend to replace my ignition switch wiring as I believe the contacts inside it are in bad shape.
Jim