T1 Distributor drive gear/shaft stuck

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: T1 Distributor drive gear/shaft stuck

Post by ruckman101 » Wed May 16, 2012 12:12 am

Show off.

1641 has been the bravest I've ever gotten. With a (not that) bold aftermarket exhaust. Have one spare case known good, and a bonus one forgotten recently found of dubious service. Not much hammering, except for the one near the pulley, nasty. Hope it's boreable, but the hammer is as deep as a fingernail.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

bigbore
I'm New!

Post by bigbore » Wed May 16, 2012 1:38 am

Ok I will ask again did you have the dist drive at TDC? not the #1 piston but the dist drive? just incase it is a early drive because they will only come out being at TDC. Those drive's are notched to only come out at that spot.

VWDreamer
I'm New!

Post by VWDreamer » Wed May 16, 2012 7:58 am

bigbore wrote:Ok I will ask again did you have the dist drive at TDC? not the #1 piston but the dist drive? just incase it is a early drive because they will only come out being at TDC. Those drive's are notched to only come out at that spot.
ok, i didn't understand your comment the first time. The engine was at #1TDC, i didnt realize that the dist drive has a TDC? What would that look like?

ruckman101 wrote:1641 has been the bravest I've ever gotten. With a (not that) bold aftermarket exhaust.
The T1 2007cc was the first engine i rebuilt mostly by myself, I had a "guru" that walked me through a lot and made sure i was doing it right. The 2007cc came with BusZilla (1) and promptly sucked a valve head THROUGH the intake (broke at the stem just behind the valve - 35.5mm - went into combustion chamber, hit piston and intake valve, pushed the intake valve mushroom through the head (40mm valve) bent the pushrod and exploded the lifter inside the case, although it happened so fast it sounded like a backfire, i was able to limp it home 40 miles with no power brake vaccum). When we rebuilt it, i got new heads, learned how to flycutt, align bore a case, bearings, etc, valve geometry, port matching, custom exhaust, dual IDF tuning, etc. It was one of the highlights of my vw student career :bounce: however since then i haven't done a bottom end, just top ends, and i always get a little nervous and spend too much time researching and looking for those oh so VERY important tips and tricks
~Heather~
Portland, OR
1971 Adventurewagon - Rosie
1970 articulated vw bus - BusZilla II
1967 bug - daily - Bettie Page
http://www.vwdreamer.com

bigbore
I'm New!

Post by bigbore » Wed May 16, 2012 10:47 am

I would post a photo but photo bucket is down so look in the manual to see where it should be. I will post a photo if photo bucket starts working.

VWDreamer
I'm New!

Post by VWDreamer » Wed May 16, 2012 11:15 am

so basically for the T1, it would be where its supposed to be (aligned from left to right of the vehicle) along the engine case?
~Heather~
Portland, OR

VWDreamer
I'm New!

Post by VWDreamer » Tue May 22, 2012 12:41 pm

Update: We tried to pull it out where the dist drive gear would be TDC but same thing it wouldnt budge. At this point I just left it in there where it was and trying to get everything else back on and engine back in. Hopefully this weekend i can get her running!

Thanks again for all the help!
~Heather~
Portland, OR

bigbore
I'm New!

Post by bigbore » Tue May 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Ok here you go photo one this drive is at TDC photo 2 you can see at the base of the drive is a flat spot cut into the flange it has to be at TDC to come out passed the drive gear on the crankshaft now if there is the right drive it will come out in any position but if someone put a early one in it has to be at TDC to come out.
heres the later drive like that should be in a 1600cc

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue May 22, 2012 11:29 pm

very help;ful pix, Bigbore.
Logged in the nog.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 23, 2012 6:16 am

bigbore wrote:Ok here you go
Thanks ya bigbore. That helps.
BigTime.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu May 24, 2012 9:33 am

Who said that....(looks around furtively...)

I was referring to Bigbore's mentions of needing to be at TDC for the gear to be removed. I am thinking that a particular cylinder needs to be TDC. Most likely #1. Perhaps not because he said "not the #1 piston but the dist. drive".

Just wanting the final key to this bit of info as I am not sure how to find a dist. drive TDC.

I am thinking it is something like:
"Set engine to #1TDC to remove early dist. drive..."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 24, 2012 3:48 pm

Gypsie wrote:Who said that....(looks around furtively...)

I was referring to Bigbore's mentions of needing to be at TDC for the gear to be removed. I am thinking that a particular cylinder needs to be TDC. Most likely #1. Perhaps not because he said "not the #1 piston but the dist. drive".

Just wanting the final key to this bit of info as I am not sure how to find a dist. drive TDC.

I am thinking it is something like:
"Set engine to #1TDC to remove early dist. drive..."
un Fixed it. not so Good point. Will not delete this utterly not clarifying confusion next log in.
ColinInTrafficJamForTheAgesI-77S
(edited May 26)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Thu May 24, 2012 8:28 pm

But, but, but, this is assuming that the engine was properly assembled with the distributor drive gear correctly indexed with #1 at TDC. 40+ years along, who's to say if that's so?

The thing to check in this case is if the drive gear slot orientation is as shown in bigbore's first photo, and note whether that happily coincides with #1 cylinder being at TDC. If not, then once the drive gear is removed, it can be properly re-installed after turning the engine to put #1 at TDC.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu May 24, 2012 11:05 pm

I was thinking the same thing. Now I figured out why he said set the dist gear to TDC.

So I conclude that one would set the dist to it's TDC orientation (ie where it would be when #1 is at TDC if the last build were done properly).

bigbore
I'm New!

Post by bigbore » Fri May 25, 2012 1:34 pm

If you look at the first photo the drive is at TDC for removal I say this because what started this whole thread was how to remove the drive but IF someone has put a early drive in out of time putting the #1 piston at TDC will not late you remove the drive IF it was installed wrong is that clear now? Now as I said this only applies to early drives (second photo ) not late drives (3 photo) now what will happen is vwDreamer will get the drive out and it will just be stuck and it will be a late drive and all I said will be for not well maybe somebody will have learned something they didn't know from before. :study:

bigbore
I'm New!

Post by bigbore » Fri May 25, 2012 1:38 pm

Gypsie wrote:I was thinking the same thing. Now I figured out why he said set the dist gear to TDC.

So I conclude that one would set the dist to it's TDC orientation (ie where it would be when #1 is at TDC if the last build were done properly).
WE HAVE A WINNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D>