cold (really) hard start

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

cold (really) hard start

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:31 pm

temps have dropped down into the 30's around here.... so not driving the bus frequently. When it is 'over-night' cold, she is REALLY hard to start....takes quite a bit of cranking. Runs fine, and she starts fine after she warms up a bit.

Where should I start my diagnosis?
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: cold (really) hard start

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:25 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:temps have dropped down into the 30's around here.... so not driving the bus frequently. When it is 'over-night' cold, she is REALLY hard to start....takes quite a bit of cranking. Runs fine, and she starts fine after she warms up a bit.

Where should I start my diagnosis?
You need the cold start valve spritz. It is critical with a cold FI engine.

There is a small red/white wire with a push-on connector on the starter solenoid. It goes to <consult Double Relay Article in Fuel Delivery> double relay only as a way station (the double relay does not affect this circuit) and off to the cold start valve. The other terminal of the cold start valve is grounded at the thermo-time switch. It only sprays for a couple of seconds only when the starter is actuated. Start your diagnosis with a test light on the double relay terminal and alligator clip grounded on bare metal. Have your dearly beloved crank the starter just a second, and make sure that the test lamp illuminates briefly.
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Re: cold (really) hard start

Post by Gypsie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:32 pm

I would also check out your Battery Charge status. How old is the battery? Check it's charge level before trying to crank anything. Needs a solid 11v (this number is pulled right out of my ear and is intended to mean a solid charge) for the FI. Overnight cold may be putting you at a start point below 11v, combined with the extra effort to turn the crank there may not be enough juice to run the FI system (pump/CSV etc...).
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....