Clogged type 1 heat risers

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Clogged type 1 heat risers

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:58 pm

I've heard a ragged ended chunk of clutch cable and a drill works well, and I've heard of torching the thing to burn out the carbon. Anyone have any luck with either or other methods? Is there a "best" method beyond what works?

thanks,
neal
The slipper has no teeth.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Re: Clogged type 1 heat risers

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:12 pm

I had no luck with any other method but repeated tapping of the tube on a hard surface, and tapping the tube with a hammer carefully. The repeated tapping breaks up the carbon and it comes out in pieces. It's not fast but it does work.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:05 pm

ruckman101 wrote:I've heard a ragged ended chunk of clutch cable and a drill works well, and I've heard of torching the thing to burn out the carbon. Anyone have any luck with either or other methods? Is there a "best" method beyond what works?

thanks,
neal
RSorak71Westy's method is probably the easiest on the pipe, think: vibration, rather than smashing the pipe all bonkers. The TBRRupturedDuck has a clogged riser that must be cleared before I bolt up the new muffler before I drive the poor thing ragged, so if you do find a clutch cable drill deal or heat, let me know .... :compress:
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:46 pm

I had decent results using a length of el cheapo drain snake (1/4" thick, app $10 at most department stores, even safeway...).

clipped and bent over the end of the coil to form a tiny hook. Make sure the hook points a little to the center so it wond dig out the sidewall. Harden with a torch and coldwater plunge. Then attached to a drill. Slow progress as it digs down through the carbon in the riser tube, torch heat and water poured in the riser. Lather rinse repeat.(bubble, gurgle, occasional splatter but it cleared the clog eventually). goggles are nice...

I like the "tap to breakup the clog" method. I wonder if a blunt end air hammer would do the trick? Hmmmm...
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....