1978 FI Bus no gas pedal

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

khargis
Getting Hooked!

1978 FI Bus no gas pedal

Post by khargis » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:04 am

]alright ya'll. here is a new one. underneath the accelerator pedal is a trapezoidal type shape plate where the accelerator cable goes thru and is supposed to stay hitched due to the shape right? so, my plate is worn and the plate looks somewhat beveled where the cable end goes thru the hole, thus allowing the cable end to slip out and while your driving the pedal goes straight to the floor, no bueno! i have since rigged it with some bailing wire, loose enough to allow the cable some movement, but crimped tight enough in strategic places so it will not or "has not" slipped back out yet. i am going to try and hit some junk yards while i am up in bellingham, wa today, but i also thought maybe i could clean, degrease the existing plate and jb weld an additional half washer (with the same size hole as existing plate hole) to the side of the plate where the worn bevel is? does this make sense? any thoughts or ideas, wisdom, heckling, etc. would be greatly appreciated. thanks, kh :salute:
'slow n' steady'

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 1978 type 2 bus fuel injected 2.0

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:13 pm

khargis wrote:]alright ya'll. here is a new one. underneath the accelerator pedal is a trapezoidal type shape plate where the accelerator cable goes thru and is supposed to stay hitched due to the shape right? so, my plate is worn and the plate looks somewhat beveled where the cable end goes thru the hole, thus allowing the cable end to slip out and while your driving the pedal goes straight to the floor, no bueno! i have since rigged it with some bailing wire, loose enough to allow the cable some movement, but crimped tight enough in strategic places so it will not or "has not" slipped back out yet. i am going to try and hit some junk yards while i am up in bellingham, wa today, but i also thought maybe i could clean, degrease the existing plate and jb weld an additional half washer (with the same size hole as existing plate hole) to the side of the plate where the worn bevel is? does this make sense? any thoughts or ideas, wisdom, heckling, etc. would be greatly appreciated. thanks, kh :salute:
Go fer it. Let me know how the weld-washer operation works out. Please install the cable end such that the cable is being pulled directly under the link between the accelerator pedal and the "trapezoidal plate". Make sure that the link is correctly facing through the accelerator pedal bracket and "trapezoidal plate" as well. When people install them bass-ackwards, it increases the side loading on the entire linkage. Eventually, everything is wallowed out and worn and the link slips through the accelerator pedal and jams up it is awful, I tell ya.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles