How much energy do YOU use?

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

How much energy do YOU use?

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:20 pm

For years my electric consumption has been just about 1 kilowatt per hour or about 24 KWh. per day.
I have an ALL electric 2200 sq ft house with no gas line connection and a 1100 sq ft detached garage.

How much do you use?
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: How much energy do YOU use?

Post by dtrumbo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:52 am

Good on ya! We have a 2100 sq. ft. house, gas heat, but everything else is electric. We average 56 kwh per day. Sounds like you're doing pretty good!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:31 am

dtrumbo wrote:Good on ya! We have a 2100 sq. ft. house, gas heat, but everything else is electric. We average 56 kwh per day. Sounds like you're doing pretty good!
I use whatever the alternator gives me.
:flower:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:10 am

Amskeptic wrote:
dtrumbo wrote:Good on ya! We have a 2100 sq. ft. house, gas heat, but everything else is electric. We average 56 kwh per day. Sounds like you're doing pretty good!
I use whatever the alternator gives me.
:flower:
You use whatever you take from the alternator (tuh-maytoe/tuh-mahtoe).
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:40 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:For years my electric consumption has been just about 1 kilowatt per hour or about 24 KWh. per day.
I have an ALL electric 2200 sq ft house with no gas line connection and a 1100 sq ft detached garage.

How much do you use?
Pshaw. I can beat that in my 1000 sq/ft apt. On hot days, I open the windows and turn on the AC. On cold days, same, but heater. Of course, here in SoCal "cold" is a relative term.

I shoot for a gigawatt per week. It's not enough to run my flux capacitor, but keeps me cozy. I also turn on all the lights at dusk ~ vampires, and all that.

Best,

Mike

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:59 pm

More than what I idealize myself using. More than I care to admit. Still less than most I rationalize. Hopefully. If my waste-stream is an indicator, I'm good.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:05 am

Not entirely sure about the household.

I know of myself that I use about... 3kWh's or so with my crap.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:15 am

I have been in this little 1100 square foot log house in the woods at the beach for about 10 years now. When I moved in, the floors and crawlspace were not insulated and the PO had a 1500 watt electric heater down int he crawl space that ran from October till June to prevent the water pipes from freezing. The living area was heated with a 30K propane fired space heater that looked like a big box. Electric bill was $150 a month and I went through about 800 gallons of propane a year.

I insulated the concrete block crawl space with that 2" foam board and insulated the floors with R-19. Unhooked the electric heater down under there and insulated the pipes. Never have had a freeze up.

Both my fridge and the little electric water heater died a couple of years into ownership in the same month. I replaced the water heater with a propane "on demand" one and a more efficient fidge. A few years ago I replaced the R-19 ceiling insulation (2" x 6" roof rafters) with 6" of "spray in foam" ~ R-45. I also invested in a more efficient fake woodstove that runs on propane that is 28K BTUs.

Now I am at 13-14 KW per day rear round. About $57 per month. I also burn though about 450 gallons of propane per year for heat and domestic hot water ~ $1100-1200 per year. The place is just a lot more comfortable and we stay toasty warm even in the winter. I have not done the conversion to CFL lights though. I am waiting for the LEDs to get better.

Grab the low hanging fruit first would be my suggestion.
79 VW Bus

BumbleBus
Addicted!

Post by BumbleBus » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:37 am

1,600sqft house. 400-550kwh/month. Would be about 100kwh less, but I have several computers/servers running 24/7 that I need for work. At least work pays my 30mbit internet each month so that's nice. Local electric coop is 100% wind/hydro renewable and $0.057 kwh so I feel good about the source. If we ever had any sun here I would have gone solar long ago. Not viable where I live unfortunately. If they could figure out snow power we'd have it made. :-)
'72 Sierra Yellow Campmobile

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:09 am

17 KWH per day, I had to check...I knew it wasn't much though.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:36 am

I am averaging around between 15-17 KWH per day, with the occasional spikes in the 20's on some days.

Im trying to get better at isolating the few bits of gear I need on 24/7 on their own power strips, so I can more easily just toggle everything else off in mass when it isn't required.

a server, modem, router, and DVR stay on most the time, but I try to power down everything else so it doesn't even sit in standby mode eating up watts here and there.

this in a 3 bedroom 1300 SF house with 29 large single pane windows, though we never run AC or space heaters.
1979 California Transporter

pj
Addicted!

Post by pj » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:11 pm

Just got my bill today 450 for the month, 15 a day. The total bill was $48.66.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:23 pm

Interesting thread...23Kwh per day last billing period. Entirely too much, IMO...give me impetus to go on another "kill-a-watt" hunt. Although I know where most of the electrons flow: DVR, 2 servers, NAS, 2 desktop PC, and a 1-3 laptops, depending on who is home at the time. Yes, the bretski household has a lot of nerd gear...

I looked into solar several years ago, but the upfront costs were stupid-high, in spite of rebates and tax credits. Recently, I've been thinking about it again, but with a lease instead of purchase. There are now several companies that will lease you the equipment, and base your monthly charge on the amount of average usage vs. generation potential. The nice thing is: no upfront cost, and they take care of upgrades on the things that wear out, like inverters. Have at least 4 neighbors that have gone this route recently. 300 average days of sunshine per year around here helps. If I had the land, I would install a wind turbine. That would be a no-brainer. Unfortunately, my neighbors are too close, and I'm pretty sure that local ordinances require at least an acre lot.

Around these parts (high desert climate), water use is the more important metric...but that's another thread.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:00 am

i have no idea how much energy is used here since i haven't seen a bill in many many years. but in that time i have only burned free oak, fir, madrone, fruitwoods in my stove as my only source of heat. zero heating bill in the pnw. otherwise i capture rain water half the year for work. unfortunately i run out of rain by july.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:59 pm

"fruitwoods"
U use e-leck-trysitee for lites?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat