let's send some good vibes Belle Plaine's way

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Re: let's send some good vibes Belle Plaine's way

Post by Mr Blotto » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:34 am

A co-worker just came into my office and asked why I was crying - I told her that a friend, whom I have not yet met, needs help. This is so unfair to Emma and your family. Continue your love for one-another...your love is definite. Please continue to use this board to vent/rant/scream. We will listen (it is the LEAST we can do).
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:01 pm

I’m feeling stronger today. I’m still confused but I’m not mad anymore. Resolved to fight again. My work is fantastic; just like before, they are allowing me to put my time toward my family.

Emma starts treatment tomorrow. She’s not worried about anything; but then again she’s tougher than her dad! Keri just texted saying that this morning she was walking the halls without her walker (this last biopsy was on her hip/pelvis bone making walking difficult). Keri said that she was being her spunky sassy self. She really is tough. And she is happy. I don’t understand why or where she gets it but she is so nonchalant about it all. I honestly can’t tell if it is innocence or bravery; I’m mean every day she sings and dances and gives me “our favorite part of the day” which is a morning cuddle. Her attitude is so good; I’ll keep my attitude up too.

Thanks again for the audience guys. This is the craziest VW forum, ain’t it?
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Much love. For unknown reasons, the Universe needs you to go through this...
Stay strong and don't lose hope, no matter what.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:21 pm

No child should have to go through what Emma is going through and no parent should have to go through what you and your wife are going through. You also have a son don't you? We send our love his way too. Stay strong. My thoughts and prayers are there for you.

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:20 pm

We should all be very humbled by the strength, resiliency, and bravery of your little girl. She needs you to be strong--that is your hope.

F' CANCER!
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:16 am

I lost a friend 3 days ago to cancer. She was a single mother with two boys under the age of 8. To be honest, going through that right now makes me feel even less capable than usual of thinking of something useful to say. My heart goes out to you and your family. There is nothing fair about it.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:20 pm

Velokid1 wrote:I lost a friend 3 days ago to cancer. She was a single mother with two boys under the age of 8. To be honest, going through that right now makes me feel even less capable than usual of thinking of something useful to say. My heart goes out to you and your family. There is nothing fair about it.
Man, the modern world . . . are we just better able to diagnose what has always been, or is this new world too full of new pathogens?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:37 pm

We are all a tenuous collection of amalgamated bits. Is each day a gift?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:46 pm

Amskeptic wrote: . . . are we just better able to diagnose what has always been, or is this new world too full of new pathogens?
I have a problem with that line of thinking -- why does it have to be one OR the other?
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:29 am

tristessa wrote: why does it have to be one OR the other?
If we are just better able to diagnose what has always been, I am happier.
If we are chemically poisoning ourselves anew, I will be sadder.
If it is some combination of the two, I'd like to know the trend line.
Thanking you in advance,
Colin

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:27 pm

Here’s an update.

We are hanging in there. Emma has completed a week of chemo, then two and half weeks of radiation, and then another week of chemo. Everyone is home now for a rest and we get new scans taken next week. The results will tell us if we should continue with this treatment or adjust.

Most of the time we are doing fine. Emma is hardly ever sick, I mean that you couldn’t really tell that she has cancer unless you knew. I guess her hair is falling out, but otherwise her attitude is solid. She’s been getting tutored at home and goes to dance class on occasion. I was watching America’s Funniest Videos with her tonight and she was laughing so hard. It was fantastic for me to hold her and feel good.

Brady is also good. He’s a smart kid. I think that he’s likely to be an actor because he’s a show-off. The family is working on not yelling in the house. I mean, kids fighting/yelling and then Keri and I yelling to break up their fights. Yelling is not communicating so we came up with an idea to set one of my toy VW Bugs upon the dining room molding. Under the molding is a “start” label and 7 other labels representing seven days that the family is to go consecutively without yelling. The kids decided that a day at the water park would be our reward for driving the Bug to the end. The car didn’t get off of the start spot for two days over the weekend but tonight we moved it to the first spot with a small ceremony.

So that is how we are doing. Thanks for the vibes IAC.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:00 am

A one-two roundhouse to the cancer, yeah!

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:14 am

I will hope the scans show something good. We are here for you BP, and Emma.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:58 am

Gosh, Chris. I'm so sorry I totally missed the update from a month ago.

You guys all keep up this fight. You are such a nice guy, and from our get togethers,
and conversations, I know what a great Dad you are. And friend. You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

If there is anything you need, or I can do, please don't hesitate to give a call. Even if it's selling some hops to one of the area breweries! ; )

All the best,
Tom
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:17 am

BellePlaine wrote: Here’s an update.
We are hanging in there.
Thanks for the update, Chris. I am happy to hear that Emma is laughing and you are there to share it with her.
BellePlaine wrote: Brady is also good. He’s a smart kid.

Man, this has to be so tough on him. The whole inner cauldron of "survivor guilt" i.e. not having to endure that treatment Emma is going through, and his own needs seemingly relegated to second-in-line. I will never forget our conversation where he gravely opined on the shortcomings of the U.S. Congress, still brings a smile.
BellePlaine wrote: The family is working on not yelling in the house.
seven days that the family is to go consecutively without yelling.
The kids decided that a day at the water park would be our reward for driving the Bug to the end. The car didn’t get off of the start spot for two days over the weekend
but tonight we moved it to the first spot with a small ceremony.
Thanks for the vibes IAC.
That's a mighty big reward for getting your car to move. NOBODY EVER OFFERED ME A DAY AT WATERWORLD FOR GETTING THEIR VOLKSWAGEN TO MOVE.
Oops, I'm yelling. :geek: