What Happened to Fall

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mattg
Old School!

What Happened to Fall

Post by mattg » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:01 am

I was just thinking how this year the fall around the midwest (chicago) was more like an early winter. I am still holding out that there is a little warm weather out there. It seemed like one day it was in the 80's and then straight to the 40's and 50's and even some 30's for highs. I live 60 miles west of the chicago and we have already had low temperatures around 14 and snow showers several weeks ago. I am hoping to still do a few things with my bus before I put the stabil in and park it in the garage for the winter. Hows the weather been in your neck of the woods. Oh yeah it also has been raining alot - no complaints there, and the sun only pops out once in a while.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:39 am

The human condition, we are so adaptable but have pink skin instead of fur....sometimes I wish I was a Sasquatch. Maybe next time.
Cheer up, only 4 more months of Winter! :flower:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:49 am

Austin, Texas has no real winter and a sort of fall. Fall usually means rain here. And various and sundry cold fronts. I've lived here 23+ years and I have seen it snow (twice for a week and then poof), ice, be in the 40's, be in the 30's and also be in the 70's or higher. You just gotta take it day by day here. If we do get any winter type weather, it is usually in February or March though.

You're more prone to know what season it is here by the allergens in the air. Fall = Ragweed and Dogwood and Winter means Mt. Cedar/Cedar fever.

Funny story: When Jeffrey and I met, he was living in Upstate NY and I was here in Austin. In March of 2000 when he left NY for TX, the temps in NY were double digits below zero in wind chill factor and generally nasty. In TX that year, it was in the mid-70's that first week. Most of my neighbors (at that time) were older retired folks and rather protective of the neighborhood. When they saw a "long haired shirtless hippy looking dude" dancing on my front lawn barefoot, let's just say they were a little alarmed! So I got a few phone calls like:

"Um, Z, do you know the long-haired guy dancing on your front lawn?" and of course I said yes, he was my man. Got quite a few laughs at the neighborhood asso. meeting that first year too! That story still makes Jeffrey blush too. :geek:

When we picked up Phred, of course they knew he was OURS :cherry:

Just never know with Central Texas Weather. Except in the summer it will be hotter than Hell.
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:02 pm

Other than Austin, do you find Texas to be a staunchly conservative and hostile state, or are people pretty mellow down there? I've heard conflicting reports.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:28 pm

hambone wrote:Other than Austin, do you find Texas to be a staunchly conservative and hostile state, or are people pretty mellow down there? I've heard conflicting reports.
I would say yes to the conservative, particularly in the more rural areas of the state. Hostile? I guess that would depend on the issues in question.
Outside of Austin things can be pretty oppressive. When you have a state with as much square footage and people as this one, along with being 48th in serving the constituency in health and human services, yeah, people get a bit irate. Also, having been a primarily democratic state until a shift in the Lege to Rep in 2003, things changed drastically. The only consistency here was that Bush was a moron when he was the governor here and Perry (the current) is just as moronic. Texas politics is a whole other thread! HA!

I have lived in Dallas and I have also lived outside of Ft. Worth (32 miles can make a HUGE difference of opinion BTW) and they were far more conservative than Austin. Almost backwards in some respects.

I don't know if you'd get the parallel or not Hambone, but Austin now is very much like LA, CA in the 70's down to the fashions here. Must be the music and film stuff taking shape of the consciousness? Not sure.

The people? I have met some genuinely cool and wonderful folks here and many of them I would call mellow, creative, compassionate and cool. It kind of depends upon the circles you run in, kwim?

Lots of air-cooled VW's here :cheers:
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:22 pm

First post here on the IAC. My name is Ryan and I live on the WI/IL border and have to say this fall has not been much different than any other that I can remember, I just hope it's not raining/snowing this weekend when I drag home a 72 westy parts bus. I do think this will be the last weekend for the bus to be out of the garage though.

BTW, zblair, I will be vacationing in Austin in February for a week. I can't wait.

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:24 pm

Where abouts are ya?? Beautiful country up there....

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:28 pm

hambone wrote:Where abouts are ya?? Beautiful country up there....
Ever heard of Lake Geneva, WI?...I'm about 3 miles east of there.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:52 pm

High desert, AZ. Clear days, highs past few weeks of 60 or so. Lows at night of 35 or so. No precip. Pretty tolerable.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:20 pm

Thirstytank wrote:First post here on the IAC. My name is Ryan and I live on the WI/IL border
BTW, zblair, I will be vacationing in Austin in February for a week. I can't wait.
Welcome to the site. Don't mind our wild herd of emoticons :flower:

You get any lake effect snow up there?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:23 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Welcome to the site. Don't mind our wild herd of emoticons :flower:

Colin
LOL!

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm

VIVA la Willie!!!!!
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:37 pm

I temporarily liberated a leaky rowboat one drunken night in Lake Geneva years ago. That town gives me the heebie jeebies but the surrounding countryside is wonderful.

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:37 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Thirstytank wrote:First post here on the IAC. My name is Ryan and I live on the WI/IL border
Welcome to the site. Don't mind our wild herd of emoticons :flower:

Colin
Not too much lake effect snow on this side of the great lakes. We do get some every now and then, but it mostly stays south towards Chicago.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:29 pm

Ya had to bring up lake effect snow, didn't ya Colin! :pukeleft:

I'm in a main lake effect snow belt area. A few miles south of the southern most tip of Lake Michigan, and 60 miles east of Chitown.

This summer and fall have been the worst weather-wise in some time. Between July 11 and Oct. 11th we had over 30" of rainfall!

And since then, it's been much cloudier and cooler than normal.

Looking like an El Nino winter!
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"