Get to know your fellow Itinerant members

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tedebare
I'm New!

Post by tedebare » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:35 am

Hi Volks- born in Canton, Oh before dirt was discovered. Lived in Cols, Oh, daytona Beach Fl, and currently live in Cincinnati, Oh. Have been a professional pool player, direct consumer salesman (insurance, pots& pans,etc), attorney, and goldsmith. Have a one man shop and have been at the same location for 24 years.

Got into VW's in 1969 and been addicted ever since. Currently own a '71 bus and have owned almost all models over the years. I am a bus nut, pure and simple.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:41 am

Okay,,,,name is Steve if you couldn't guess....
I was born in RI, lived there till I was 32 except for the 10 months I was in basic training and tech school for the Navy reserves. Mostly was an Electrician in RI.. Moved to Florida at 32, been here since. Was an Electrician in FL for a couple of years, then a Circuit Designer/Provisioner for a Telecommunications company that was bought out by MCI/Worldcom, then Verizon.... Was supposed to be layed off 4 years ago, but was just layed off July 14th. A few years back I got my Realtor's license, and a couple years ago Bartending training, but what I do now full time is Hypnosis. I'm a certified Hypnotist and it is great, most rewarding job yet, nothing beats someone thrilled to have quit smoking, or someone who can finally lose wieght, it would be worth it even if it didn't pay the bills. I was married, now have girlfriend. I have two boys, soon to 17 and one 15.
Oh, let's not forget VW's. My first car was a beetle, but I didn't have it for long. About 6 years ago I got a beetle, then a bus, then another beetle, then another bus.....
Currently have my 66 beetle, 74 Bay passenger and 78 westy. For the most part I keep them running myself.

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:13 am

VWBusrepairman-AKA Ryan from Bloomington, Indiana interested in Volkswagens since I can recall. Bought a '75 super beetle in 1994 and then someone pointed me in the direction of the John Muir manual. I was able to repair the beetle myself and I believe I've had 20 some beetles since that time, several buses, and some water-cooled VeeDubs as well. Wasn't until April 20, 1996 that I purchased my first bus- the magic bus, a '78 sunroof model bus as seen in the avitar.

We've been together these 10 rough years and it hasn't always been easy, but I still have that bus. I get people offering money for it, but why would I want money? I can always make more money. I'm employed for a leading medical device company as a microbiology technician while working on my BS in Microbiology through IU at this current time.

Ok, enough about me. Feel free to PM me, email me if you have bus questions- I like discussing bay sunroof operation and AFC fuel injection are areas which I feel well-versed. Bus on, kind folks!

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:42 am

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:33 pm

static here. I was wondering where all my bus friends had gone to.

I'm an old dude that drives a 1971 Westy hardtop. I have owned VWs since the mid 70's and am still a crummy mechanic.

My interest in VWs are camping, traveling and VW lore, not so much on wrenching on them.

Glad to be here.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:02 pm

static wrote:static here. I was wondering where all my bus friends had gone to.

I'm an old dude that drives a 1971 Westy hardtop. I have owned VWs since the mid 70's and am still a crummy mechanic.

My interest in VWs are camping, traveling and VW lore, not so much on wrenching on them.

Glad to be here.
Gonna be at Berkeley Pizza night???? We're shooting for 09/15-ish.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:17 pm

Jasan here from Portland Oregon, AKA Stumptown, Bridgetown, The Rose City etc, etc. Actually living in a burb ten minutes south of Portland called Milwaukie. I drive forklift for the largest independant grocery distribution warehouse on the west coast. We are the home of Western Family brand to those of you in the NW.

On my third bus, first Westy. First two were Riviera's, a '72 and '74. My first, the '74, was when I was in my early 20's and had no idea that I had to maintain a bus. Ended up sucking a valve on the way home from a camping trip and was out of the VW scene for about eight years. Valves? What are those? Picked up my '72 Rivi on the way back from Paradise CA to look at another camper that was full of rust. Saw it sitting in a U-sell lot along I-5 and bought it on the spot. Only owned it for about six months as what I really had my heart set on was a late Westy. Found my '78 Westy not five minutes from my house and have owned it for almost five years. It will soon have a RAT Camper Special engine to take me many more years down the road. Yes, I am now my own mechanic. Ignorance isn't always bliss. #-o

Longest trip in my Westy was 3000 miles round trip to Buses by the Bridge X. An eventfull trip that included an R&R of the alternator in Havasu and getting caught in six inches of snow in the Sierras on the way home. Getting ready for another week on the road to North Eastern Oregon and the Wallowa Mountains. Can't wait.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Towel Rail
I'm New!

Post by Towel Rail » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:09 pm

Hey everyone, I'm Scott. Some of you know me, glad to meet everyone else.

Without getting into the drama that spawned this forum, I look forward to participating and learning from you folks. :)

- Scott

slowtwitch
I'm New!

Post by slowtwitch » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:00 pm

Hi …Pete here. Born in Nurnberg, Germany, many moons ago. My parents came over in 1956...legally. Grew up in Philly and currently living in beautiful Andalusia, PA.

Enjoy biking, VW’s and playing the blues. The goods times…meeting my wife and watching my 3 boys grow into men. The bad times…the passing of my parents and the army years, 69 and 70.

Currently restoring two VW bugs, a 66 and a 67. The 66 will have a stock T4, 1700 installed and the 67 will have a more performance minded 2 liter type 4 installed.

pete

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:06 am

Towel Rail wrote:Hey everyone, I'm Scott.
That thar is a dang pretty 181. What's its history?
Colin

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:54 am

Hi, I'm Roberto. Grew up in Chicago, have been living in Portland for 5 years. I'm an amateur mountain man and bus-mekannick. This is a pic of my little pride and joy Eva with her shaggy-ape papa.

fido
Getting Hooked!

Post by fido » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:59 am

Born Yeovil, England.

University lecturer. Spent 18 months in Austin Texas 98-99. Bought my virst VW in 2000 - a watercooled T25. Eventually figured I didnt like all the compromises of the engine design, especially as cooland was leaking from a rubber gasket around the head, so cut my losses and sold it on (explaining the impending situation)... and bought Morag, a 73 westfalia Continental with a 1700 engine and automatic transmission (a rarity in the UK).

I bought her and drove 200 miles home, upon which she dropped a driveshaft (very polite of her to wait till I parked up) - and so it began!!

Fixed tranny (driveshaft seals leaking - no diff oil in there! - allen bolt had come loose), changed the seals etc lying in snow (December). A lovely introduction to bay window ownership!

Since then I've done a fair amount of jobs on her - new alternator (twice - why are the new ones limited in lifespan?), carbs (single weber had to go - it would ice up all winter long), spotted a recessing valve seat so had a little engine top-end job, most of the braking system has been replaced (still nead to do rear flexis), electrical system gone through when the indicator stick made the fuel guage go to zero and turned the oil and generator lights on (screw through a wiring loom - thanks to a previous owner!), put some guages on (oil pressure, CHT, rpm and volts most useful), new front seats (old ford seats in there were too tall for me - now have toyota MR2 seats for comfort :) ), some new arches at the front, tailgate and engine lid, removed the crank-handle install a previous owner had put in (you should try to hand crank one of these engines!!), interior reupholstered by my wife.. SHe has given us loads of great adventures so far. My last fix was to get the heater cables working properly (bliss) and replacing the original windscreen with a proper laminated one (clear too - made a big difference).

Pic of me in NJ a while back..
73 Westy, 1700 auto, DRLA's, lots of guages...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:40 pm

fido wrote:Born Yeovil, England.

University lecturer.
Pic of me in NJ a while back..
So where are you now?
Colin

fido
Getting Hooked!

Post by fido » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:39 am

In Norwich, England now, although I lecture over in the states every now and again (Newport, RI last time - lovely place). In fact, I'm trying to put a 2 month tour together for next spring. Have invitations for Mobile (Alabama), Austin TX, Bloomington Indiana, Cornell NY, and working on a few others..
73 Westy, 1700 auto, DRLA's, lots of guages...

the sage
Bus Ad Archivist

Post by the sage » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:36 pm

Well, we have all heard the story before...

Orphaned when a meteor stuck my parents. I wandered out of my home and was discovered by a pack of wolves and raised as their own.

I learned many skills, earning my law degree at age 15 from Columbia. I stayed in New York working in mostly mergers and acquisition firms.

At age 17 I was hit over the head and kidnapped by Canadian deep-sea welders and taken toward the Yukon territory. I was rescued by customs agents at the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit and was sent to an orphanage. I was adopted by an executive with Volkswagen of America from north of the city. Life was hard without the courtesy of a car and driver or personal assistant, but I managed. The only thing that saved me was the unrestricted access to the VW Exec lot. I drove more prototypes that you could possibly imagine.

On my 18th birthday I moved to Grand Rapids MI, to work in the radio industry.

After studying all the half wit slimy practices that is broadcasting...
"The radio business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.

There's also a negative side."

Hunter S. Thompson
I decided after 6 years to take my shot in the big leagues of Detroit again, but not before buying a 1977 VW Deluxe Campmobile in Goat Vomit Green.

Things were going well, and I was rising through the ranks, when one day, while in my pressed suit and donning manicured hands, I flipped out and decided it was time to return to my roots...

I packed and headed for the wilds of Central Colorado immediately, bringing with me a woman suitable for human consumption...

After a whirlwind tour of Vail, Steamboat, and Aspen we settled in the highest incorporated city in America; Leadville Colorado, elevation 10,240.

Things in Leadville were, well, rustic, but despite the O2 deficit, I managed to find a good man who helped me in the ways of bus maintenance and zen. I traveled a lot during these days, spent time with my memoirs and saw the west.

Soon, the urge to spread my golden seed had taken root and in the spring of my 27th year I married my companion of 4 years and we proceeded to plan for offspring.

Shortly there after (1 year and 7 months) I welcomed my son into the world. But due to the altitude and persistent rural hickishness, we were persuaded to move to lower ground.

A nation-wide search was launched and our extensive criteria was satisfied in the community of Traverse City Michigan. Moving was quick and brought sorrow as it was once again ripping me away from my stark roots.

That was 7 years ago and since then, I have welcomed a daughter into the world, said farewell to my trusted dog, managed to visit 23 states in my trusty bus. I have never found a VW guru as trusted as my man in Leadville, until I had the chance to host Colin last month.

This last spring, after a bad batch of Anxiety medication I purchased 17 Volkswagens, and have moved into another chapter of my relationship with Volkswagen.

Life is a winding unexpected lane of beauty and sorrow, drink it up boys...

The Sage.
1977 Sage Deluxe Campermobile

Visit VW Sage Ad World Today!