newb in EU w/ US bus

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:59 am

midatlanticys wrote:. . . . . just cuz we can't easily contain our child-like excitement; :colors:

. . . . . we fly to Boston tomorrow and then Atlanta on Monday to pick up the bus and attempt to get Georgia tags and maybe even a title. Insurance cover was finally!!!! placed yesterday. Dave McCutcheon, DTM Engineering/Stockbridge GA and Brad Brown (PO) have done incredible things to help make this all happen. I'm deeply grateful to them all and include the good folks here that have played a valuable part in rekindling this bus love!!!! =D>

The icing will be a date with Dr. IAC next Thursday
Where all this be happenin? If I am not being pounded in the ground by work this week, I'd like to meet up. Since I am the official IAC representative for Georgia.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:43 am

Sylvester wrote: Where all this be happenin? . . . . I'd like to meet up. Since I am the official IAC representative for Georgia.
"Official IAC Rep" sounds great!! We arrived safely in Henry County yesterday and we'll be in the McDonough area at least through Thursday/8. We will hopefully get Georgia tags sorted today and start to let the good times roll. We met the PO & family and the bus last night and had a great time chewing the fat! The bus is in better shape than I expected and seems to have been, for the most part unmolested, which was a primary objective. I'll post pics when we get settled in our new home for the next four weeks!! :bounce:

Sylvester - PM sent!

May the child-like excitement last a lifetime!!
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:30 pm

midatlanticys wrote: May the child-like excitement last a lifetime!!
Well, we wrote chapter one today. Got Georgia tags sorted and put about 60 miles on a really strong running bus. I've not driven one in 15 years and I cannot express what a fabulous rush this was . . so many sensations returned from long ago, so much joy given by the perspective of the Bay's outlook on life and the road and and and. . . . an rekindled adolescent high is only the beginning - CK will help write chapter two tomorrow!! . . . . and thanks to him and y'alls for making the IAC such a positive place!! =D> =D> =D>

Sylvester - r u reading PM's?? :pale:
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:34 pm

midatlanticys wrote:
midatlanticys wrote: May the child-like excitement last a lifetime!!
Well, we wrote chapter one today. Got Georgia tags sorted and put about 60 miles on a really strong running bus. I've not driven one in 15 years and I cannot express what a fabulous rush this was . . so many sensations returned from long ago, so much joy given by the perspective of the Bay's outlook on life and the road and and and. . . . an rekindled adolescent high is only the beginning - CK will help write chapter two tomorrow!! . . . . and thanks to him and y'alls for making the IAC such a positive place!! =D> =D> =D>

Sylvester - r u reading PM's?? :pale:
Welcome back! :cheers:

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:41 pm

Hiya mid,

Yes!

Now it's definitely time for a couple of Mint Juleps on the veranda with Colonel Sylvester, suh.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:19 am

Wow! You are here and driving your bus after all these months. Wonderful. Nice story. Will the bus be going eventually to the Azores? How did your visit go with CK?
71 bus, 74 westy

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:56 pm

I missed MidAtlantic, I had a bunch of stuff to do yesterday. I did try and call you back MidA last night, ended up free of my stuff and even had Colin contemplating bringing the BobD out to run. Today is homework and the boys football game, I am filming the game and the boy is a killer, so it will be good to watch. Might even get Colin to come. If we don't meet up MidA, I hope you and the Bus live a good life.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:40 pm

Sylvester wrote: If we don't meet up MidA, I hope you and the Bus live a good life.
Thanks Sylvester! not to worry - it'll happen one day!! Birdi - nope, bus is definitely NOT destined for the Azores - we'll stay down here in Dixie for time being.
We had a grrreat day with Colin - full of sun and shade, good cheer and even managed to take a few critical items off the list, mainly valves, timing, AFM & front pads/rotors. Thank You Sir!! it was a true pleasure to have made your acquaintance.

I'll post the details when we are a little more settled into the new abode and find a quiet spot beside a stream/lake/river!!

Gas hose lesson #1 was the following day following a fuel stop when I noticed a drip and a puddle under driver's side rear as I folded the credit card reciept & headed back to the cab. I shat myself :pale: grabbed a rag, popped the rear hatch and found the empty 2nd battery tray flooded with gas by a good drip from above. Following a good mop up and a good reach up in & @ the area behind the bottom of the spare tire well I found #24 here
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelHo ... rHoses.jpg to be the culprit. About this time Steve from the Full Moon Bus Club pulled up in a Jetta and asked, "everything OK?" . . . . and after pleasantries proceeded to graciously get me to/from the local FLAPS for some hose. We swapped stories, shared too few Black & Tan's and then were on our way!! Thank You v. much Steve. . . . . we then proceeded to have a fabulous first night in the bush near Jackson Lake, Georgia. . . . . truly child-like excitement!

PS: have ya checked/replaced your #24 hose lately???

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Just popped back into this thread.

Right the Frack On!! Good to hear that you have finally united with yer bus.

#24 is but the first of many of them little "gems" awaiting your attention. May they present in and easy polite manner.

I don't have a #24 but I have a similar breather system that didn't like the tank to be completely full or the same thing happened. Fortunately my tell spots were far away from the engine.

May your journeys be many and the gems be few.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:30 am

midatlanticys wrote:PS: have ya checked/replaced your #24 hose lately???
When I bought my '78 I had this exact same thing happen the first time I filled it up. I think it's a rite-of-passage for new bus owners to soil themselves at the fuel island. Fortunately the fuel smell tends to overpower the other aromas.

Glad you got that under your belt and you're on your way! :cheers:
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:39 pm

Amskeptic wrote: And how is your bus? I enjoyed our day out there with . . . (?) and his lovely kids.
ColinInAustin
Colin - our bus is great! thanks for asking!! Following our v. enjoyable IAC day with you, Brad, his lovely kids and a sharp looking Lexus, my wife & I wandered for 2,200 really laid back miles in GA, AL, MS & Louisiana. The bus really did not miss a beat for the full 3+ weeks of on & off road travels, night and day, keeping us safe and cozy through the SE USA's Monsoon season of '09 with rainfall records that will stand for a long time, I'm sure. We enjoyed a great variety of campgrounds and became partial to State Parks that were virtually empty and a welcome gateway to some fabulous backwoods wildlife and flora plus sleepy little towns so pleased to see fresh faces and a good looking bus that was actually being used!

Man-o-man do I miss being on the road with that bus!!!!!!!!! :pale:

Colin patiently walked me through the hyd. valves while putting the magic touches on the timing scale, then we timed and found dist. weights needing CK's touch and a drop of oil, then went through the theory and practice of AFM function & adjustment. We wound down the day with new front pads and sanding rotors to remove the glaze.

All in all a wonderful day of IAC and, I think, I only embarrassed myself twice; first was one of Colin's freshly opened cans of Coke that I used as an ashtray! and then I ended up snagging his can of Gumout!! . . . which looked exactly like the one I purchased a few days prior!! . . . except I wondered how my can of Gumout took on such a patina in such a short time!!

Colin, thanks for the time & effort & sharing the love! I enjoyed every moment and look forward to returning the G-out and having a few Cokes on hand and chilled in your honor in the year to come! =D> =D> =D>

The bus is sitting patiently in a warm cozy garage in Jackson, Mississippi awaiting more wanderings and being watched over and driven occasionally by a friend with a '77 Westy.

And thank you again to all here who made owning a bus for the second time such a great experience!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:49 pm

midatlanticys wrote: Colin - our bus is great! thanks for asking!! Following our v. enjoyable IAC day with you, Brad, his lovely kids and a sharp looking Lexus, my wife & I wandered for 2,200 really laid back miles in GA, AL, MS & Louisiana. The bus really did not miss a beat for the full 3+ weeks of on & off road travels, night and day, keeping us safe and cozy through the SE USA's Monsoon season of '09 with rainfall records that will stand for a long time, I'm sure.
Did not miss a beat? Props to the mechanic:

midatlanticys wrote: The bus is sitting patiently in a warm cozy garage in Jackson, Mississippi awaiting more wanderings and being watched over and driven occasionally by a friend with a '77 Westy.
Glad you found a storage spot. I need to find a drier one for the BobD, that southeast has too much rain!
Colin
one more:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:45 pm

So, year two of wandering in the '78 gets underway tomorrow - Azores to Boston and a few days with brother & family in Beantown, daughter @ school in NH then Boston/Jackson, MS on Sat. and CK next Monday!! :bounce:

. . . . hard to tell y'all how much I look forward to a few weeks of roaming West in Deep Dixie with no plans but the ones Flow comes up with! =D> =D> =D>

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:16 pm

midatlanticys wrote:So, year two of wandering in the '78 gets underway tomorrow - Azores to Boston and a few days with brother & family in Beantown, daughter @ school in NH then Boston/Jackson, MS on Sat. and CK next Monday!! :bounce:

. . . . hard to tell y'all how much I look forward to a few weeks of roaming West in Deep Dixie with no plans but the ones Flow comes up with! =D> =D> =D>
Looking forward to meeting up with you . . . in my own genuine VW bus this year.
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles