Why I've been going crazy with pics again...

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Why I've been going crazy with pics again...

Post by DurocShark » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:33 pm

I got a new camera! I couldn't afford it, but I couldn't pass the deal up either.

Olympus SP-320. $180 shipped from Outpost.com.

The macro mode is incredible. Close-ups less than an inch from the lens! Color balance in auto mode is outstanding, images are sharp, clean, etc etc... And it shoots in RAW mode if I so desire!

I think they realized they were selling it too cheap because it's not on their site anymore. At all. :cyclopsani:

Best price on froogle is $200 from a less-than-reputable vendor. From decent vendors, around $260.

I was using a crappy HP camera after my old Olympus C4000 died. The HP just blows chunks compared to what I'm used to. But this SP-320 is awesome. Even better than my old C4000.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:33 pm

OOoooooeeeee, Don, am I ever jealous. That camera takes awesome pics! And it is cheaper than what I paid for my Olympus D-425. :cyclopsani:
71 bus, 74 westy

kool aid
Getting Hooked!

Post by kool aid » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:35 pm

I am envious. I dont have a camera at all. Not even a camera phone. I need to get with the times......
:king:

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:46 pm

If you're looking for a camera, here are a couple things to look for:

Macro Mode
You want to focus AT LEAST to 2.5" if not closer.

Autofocus
Without autofocus, you can't have macro mode, so I guess it's a moot point.

Autofocus Illuminator
It's the red/orange light that comes on when you're trying to take a picture in the dark. VERY important when taking pics under the bus. Otherwise every pic from under the bus looks fuzzy unless it's bright daylight outside...

Don't worry about resolution so much if you're just using it for snapshots, prints to 4x6", and web use. While a 7mp camera or higher will print nice 8x10's, it's unnecessary for most uses. Good 3, 4, and 5 mp cameras are getting cheaper all the time.

I do some semi-serious work with my camera, so it was worth it to get the other bells and whistles this one has. But for around $100 you can find cameras that will work well for you.

I'm really happy with Olympus digicams. They are cheap compared to Nikon, Canon and Sony offerings, while having comparable quality.

nakedfrog
Getting Hooked!

Post by nakedfrog » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:54 pm

Honestly, 3 megapixel is just fine for 8x10s as well. People have been astonished in the past to see that my zoo prints were from a 3.2 digicam.
And my low-light focus assist is green :P
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:57 pm

nakedfrog wrote:Honestly, 3 megapixel is just fine for 8x10s as well. People have been astonished in the past to see that my zoo prints were from a 3.2 digicam.
And my low-light focus assist is green :P
You're absolutely right. The problem is if someone buys a 3mp and doesn't get good 8x10's they'll blame me. Just covering my ass.

Yours is green? I've never seen a green one. I wonder if I can mod mine to blue? heehee

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:16 pm

well Shark, perhaps now you can try and outpost me. I'm still using a cheap photosmart camera from 2004. Taking pics is fun.
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:19 pm

VWBusrepairman wrote:well Shark, perhaps now you can try and outpost me. I'm still using a cheap photosmart camera from 2004. Taking pics is fun.
??

DurocShark
Addicted!

VWBusrepairman
Getting Hooked!

I outposted you a long time ago... :bom:

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:40 pm

DurocShark wrote:
VWBusrepairman wrote:well Shark, perhaps now you can try and outpost me. I'm still using a cheap photosmart camera from 2004. Taking pics is fun.
??

DurocShark
Addicted!

VWBusrepairman
Getting Hooked!

I outposted you a long time ago... :bom:
You had 3 days on me too. I meant outpost in terms of numbers of photos.

Also, recollect that it was ME who inspired YOU to get a '78 bus no matter what you say. :thumbleft:

That said, here's another photo to enjoy.
Someone send me a key buzzer for a '78 bus, please.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:44 pm

VWBusrepairman wrote: You had 3 days on me too. I meant outpost in terms of numbers of photos.

Also, recollect that it was ME who inspired YOU to get a '78 bus no matter what you say. :thumbleft:

Someone send me a key buzzer for a '78 bus, please.
Ooohh!!!!111one

Three whole days!

And no, you didn't. What inspired me was doing the top end work on this bus while Troy still owned it. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse:

Here's the Guac while it was still Troy's, and the GWB next to it. And me playing skaterd00d with the ATV jack.

You don't seriously want a buzzer?!?!?!?

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:30 pm

DurocShark wrote: Image

You don't seriously want a buzzer?!?!?!?
You didn't seriously pull the bumper to remove the engine, did you? If yes, then yes, I want an annoying key buzzer since my bus does not have one to my knowledge. I honestly don't know where it is- maybe I have it but it's disconnected. I want it to be as original as possible for when I sell it. (then I can say everything works on it)

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:01 pm

VWBusrepairman wrote:
You didn't seriously pull the bumper to remove the engine, did you?
No, it was already off.