What Are You Reading Right Now? The IAC Book Thread

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now? The IAC Book Thread

Post by Jivermo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:26 pm

Mr. Truman's War. J Robert Moskin. History buff? Excellent stuff!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:10 pm

Jivermo wrote:Mr. Truman's War. J Robert Moskin. History buff? Excellent stuff!
Apparently you really really really really really really like the book!
Colin

(I'll get rid of those extra posts . . . in a bit. I bet you found the "submit" button hanging up earlier and got pissed and started pecking that send key like an enraged chicken, am I right? I do that all the time. Then I send a hot PM to Randy to update the site and yell at the host server)
Colin :shaking2:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:03 am

Whew! That lets me off the hook for my duplicate posts.

"The Idea Factory" by Jon Gertner. A history of Bell Labs. How industry and government can cooperate and the synergies that result.

Like the transistor, for example.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:47 am

I thought he was trying to help with the post count.... and he did convince me to check out the book.

Just finished The Blue Bear by Lynn Schooler. A nice read.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:11 pm

RussellK wrote:I thought he was trying to help with the post count.... and he did convince me to check out the book.

Just finished The Blue Bear by Lynn Schooler. A nice read.
Grateful for the sentiment, but we are going to win this thing free and clear of "gerrygerrygerrygerrygerrymandering".

Still working on Gilead by Marilynne Anderson.
Colin

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Thu May 02, 2013 8:11 am

"River of Stars" by Guy Gavriel Kay.

After I'm done I'll probably go dig up and re-read some older G.G. Kay novels. The guy sure knows how to weave a tale.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu May 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Smoke Screen by Sandra Brown which is pretty good.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri May 03, 2013 8:07 am

"Nothing Like It in the World" by Stephen Ambrose.

The story of the building of the transcontinental railroad. (the American one, that is. We built one too and it was WAY longer). :) The takeaway so far? Nothing's changed. Corruption, financial problems, politicking, backstabbing and Chinese. Yes, Chinese. Hardworking, diligent, quiet, smart and effective Chinese. Lots of them. Just like on the Canadian RR

http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-Like-Worl ... en+ambrose
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 03, 2013 11:21 am

glasseye wrote:The takeaway so far? Nothing's changed. Corruption, financial problems, politicking, backstabbing and Chinese.
Do we take solace in the fact, or do we sigh?
Colin

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sun May 12, 2013 4:37 pm

"The Conundrum: How Scientific Innovation, Increased Efficiency and Good Intentions Can Make Our Energy and Climate Problems Worse" by David Owen.

A very enlightening and ultimately pretty depressing examination of what we get when we rush headlong into providing answers to the wrong questions. Our current energy and climate fiasco stems most simply from the fact that our energy use continues to skyrocket over time, and no new energy technology or efficiency will reverse that trend. In fact, increasing energy efficiency only make us use more energy. Find a way to improve our gas mileage by 50% and we will finally buy that little place in the country/suburbs and end up driving over twice what we did before. Make our air conditioner use less electricity, and we end up adjusting the thermostat rather than closing the curtains or using a fan because, hey, it only costs a few pennies. New super efficient refrigerator? Good, I'll get that to make myself feel 'green' and just move the old one down to the basement to keep the beer cold. The real question isn't "How do we make our lives more energy efficient?" That' because, according to the author, increases in efficiency invariably lead to increased energy use. Instead, the question is "How can we use less energy overall?" That's a behavioral problem, not a technological one.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Mon May 13, 2013 10:10 am

Cascadia's Fault by Jerry Thompson. Look out, OR, WA and BC coasts!
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Mon May 13, 2013 12:05 pm

1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed May 15, 2013 6:16 am

Digger Dogface Brownjob Grunt, by Gary Prisk. About a Lieutenant in Vietnam. We have a ton of books sent to us over here and probably have over 1000 just for the 30 of us in our squadron. Heck I doubt I will finish this one before I leave here.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 15, 2013 9:50 pm

satchmo wrote:"The Conundrum: How Scientific Innovation, Increased Efficiency and Good Intentions Can Make Our Energy and Climate Problems Worse" by David Owen.

A very enlightening and ultimately pretty depressing examination of what we get when we rush headlong into providing answers to the wrong questions. Our current energy and climate fiasco stems most simply from the fact that our energy use continues to skyrocket over time, and no new energy technology or efficiency will reverse that trend. In fact, increasing energy efficiency only make us use more energy. Find a way to improve our gas mileage by 50% and we will finally buy that little place in the country/suburbs and end up driving over twice what we did before. Make our air conditioner use less electricity, and we end up adjusting the thermostat rather than closing the curtains or using a fan because, hey, it only costs a few pennies. New super efficient refrigerator? Good, I'll get that to make myself feel 'green' and just move the old one down to the basement to keep the beer cold. The real question isn't "How do we make our lives more energy efficient?" That' because, according to the author, increases in efficiency invariably lead to increased energy use. Instead, the question is "How can we use less energy overall?" That's a behavioral problem, not a technological one.

Tim
Very Good Points . . . =D>

Our newly fuel efficient and long lasting cars let us effortlessly drive more.
We need Off The Grid days, parties, Town Proclamations. The experience of being off the grid (like during a sustained power outage) has often been a wake-up call for people who enjoyed greeting their neighbors over the fence, or finding out that reading to the kids instead of everyone zoned out at their own TV was vastly more satisfying. Heck, we air-cooled VW drivers could show others that a 55 mph speed limit is a good thing.
Colin

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:06 am

Yep...Morgan Freeman is quite miscast. He is past milking the movie system, and I can think of several others. We need term limits on actors...him, Tori Spelling, Susan Sarandon, Vince Vaughn, Meryl Streep...I could do very well not seeing any further appearances. Let's give some new blood some opportunity.