What Are You Reading Right Now? The IAC Book Thread

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

JLT
Old School!

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now? The IAC Book Thread

Post by JLT » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:27 am

The Autobiography of Mark Twain

This is the one that he wrote with the stipulation that it not be published for one hundred years after his death. I am thunderstruck at what a great writer and wit he was ... one of the giants of his age, right up there with Oscar Wilde, George Bernard Shaw, and anybody else you could name. Nearly every page is a delight.

He dictated this book to a stenographer in the last years of his life, not worrying about chronological order and instead letting his mind wander free, pursuing whatever trains of thought interested him. His words would be soft as silk in one paragraph and razor-sharp the next, but always appropriate to the subject.

What strikes me most is the picture of the man as I had never seen him before. He was an atheist who sincerely wanted to believe and to take solace from religion, but couldn't reconcile those desires with his intellectual honesty. His views on militarism and runaway capitalism are as trenchant today as when he aired them a century ago. And he was deeply, deeply wounded by the deaths of his wife and daughters, and let his anguish loose in these pages.

Volumes one and two are out now, and a third will be out soon. One caveat: unless you're the kind of person who likes a weighty tome on his or her lap, buy the e-book instead.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:55 pm

thank you JLT
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:51 am

glasseye wrote:"The Dog Stars" by Peter Heller
http://www.amazon.ca/Dog-Stars-Peter-He ... +dog+stars

Nearly everybody in the world has died from a form of influenza. The hero lives in the foothills of CO with his ex SEAL buddy, an ageing Cessna and his dog. Survival is the game and they play it well.

Unusual writing style takes some getting used to. Not for the faint of heart. Gripping story, fascinating insights.
If Glasseye says it is not for the faint of heart, then I am intrigued!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:50 am

Picked up Tom Friedman's THE WORLD IS FLAT.

First had the freshly unwrapped book to myself for a while this past weekend..
My host had books a plenty on display. Some of which she has actually read. Other books waiting for attention.
As my visit concluded, I felt interest in it. Once back to my digs, I summoned it on my phone app Kindle. Eight bucks, but it has some virtues. Yes the real book was easier to paw through. Yes, but to have it again at the fingertips without moving the feets is worth eight smackers.
Still pawing away at the missive. I am no judge but I like his insights. It is not so much about writing style. Though he is not hard to read.
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:53 am

Are there some histories of the design iterations of our beloved BUS?
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:15 pm

Sylvester wrote: If Glasseye says it is not for the faint of heart, then I am intrigued!
PM sent.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Into the Wild

Post by jimbear » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:00 am

We are reading Into the Wild, By John Krakauer, in my 11th grade English class. I saw the movie a number of years ago and never read the book. I have been keeping about 3 chapters ahead of my kids for planning and discussion purposes. If you have not read this, you should. It is a great story. I am teaching it along with my Freedom and Independence unit. Good stuff.
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:38 pm

so noted Jimbear about John Krakauer ~Into the wild~.I read it ten years ago? Will take a look again.

Just learned Gabriel Garcia Marquez has left the earthly world.
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:27 am

The Book Thief. Just about every page is breaking my heart.
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:21 am

Cindy wrote:The Book Thief. Just about every page is breaking my heart.
Tell us more . . .

I am going to pick up "Capital In The 21st Century" by Thomas Piketty.

It promises to lead the charge of rethinking capitalism.
This author uses more data and less opinion to discern current trends.
Using two centuries of data, he brings a solid historical basis to what we know but can't say in today's hyper-politicized culture, namely, that we haven't fixed a damn thing after the crash of 2007, and we desperately need some real discussion about real solutions.
Essential Points:
Mature capitalist economies do not evolve toward greater economic equality.
Rate of return on capital historically tends to outstrip overall rate of economic growth, leading to greater and greater concentrations of wealth at the very top.
Well, hello.
The current capitalism is a political outcome, not a natural market phenomenom.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:32 am

The narrator of The Book Thief is Death and so the story is fraught with a painfully delicate awareness of Life. It keeps making me cry.

It's also replete with lines I wish I'd written. Beautiful stuff by a writer who clearly loves this world.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand