My other car is....missing!

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

static
IAC Addict!

My other car is....missing!

Post by static » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:47 pm

So I go out the front door this morning and my car is missing.

I hadn't driven it in a couple of weeks, so I figured that it had been towed. Only thing is, no "red tag".

So I grumble my way to work, call the cops and tell them that my car has been towed. They tell me that, in fact, it had not been towed.

They send a couple of officers by my workplace to take a report of a stolen auto. I tell the officers that it is highly unlikely that my car had been stolen, it is an old Mercedes Diesel. What thief would sit around waiting for the glow plug to heat up?

They fill out a report. Who else has keys? When was the last time it was worked on? Who services your car? Tape deck? CD Player? Identifying stickers? This takes a half an hour or so. They are very polite.

I whine to my neighborhood Yahoo group. After awhile, someone posts, in effect, "Hey! Your car is back!" So I rush home. Yep, the car is back. In the same place. Now with chalk on the windshield and a couple of tickets.

But: my car has been reported stolen! I cannot drive a stolen car.

I call the Cops. I call the Chief's office.

I get a nice phone call from a Detective who apologizes for towing my car. Seems that they have, er, um,, "training issues".

No problem, except that now I am totally stressed out, my car went on walkabout, it is now officially a stolen car and there are two tickets on it (bogus ones, since my registration isn't up until December).

He checks. Sure enough, my car is still listed as "stolen". He promises to take care of that little problem. He also promises to get rid of the citations if I drop by the station.

I am relieved. All is forgiven. Shit happens.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:06 pm

Sounds like a day outta my life...
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:46 pm

What year is the Merc diesel ?

As for your local PD, what a bunch of (plural for dufus)
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:47 pm

I need a bumper sticker that says 'My Other car is a Lloyd '
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:01 pm

:toothy10:
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:37 am

The Mercedes Diesel is a 1979 240D.

I highly recommend these cars. They have much in common with VWs.

They are cheap, slow, easy to work on and simple. Just like me.

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:05 am

Most excellent story.

So the cops did tow your car in the first place for some reason but it didn't come up when you asked them? Did they ever say why they towed it?
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:55 am

Someone must have complained, but normally a "red tag" warning ticker goes on the windshield first. And yes, the Cops "copped" to the mistake.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:44 am

Crazy crazy...you shoulda just slept late, mebbe you woulda never even known!
I know for a FACT that my bus goes out drinkin sometimes at around 3 AM. I once found a pair of Honda panties in the engine compartment, what the hell, how could you???? With a Honda no less!

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:47 am

That's why I got another bus, Geri was too pretty to trust alone @ night.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:00 pm

They have much in common with VWs.

indeed...you can hear them coming a mile away..lug-a-lug-a-lug-a-lug
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:44 pm

hambone wrote:I know for a FACT that my bus goes out drinkin sometimes at around 3 AM.
Hey, so did mine down at OSU - I'd wake up in the morning and find it somewhere up in the hills above Corvallis :drunken: :compress:
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.