More hubcap art

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: Latest one

Post by Sylvester » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:17 pm

zabo wrote:
Sylvester wrote: Lo and behold someone got that Bus out of the pull a part! It won't die! I have the plates though!
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/1625541025.html

It was still at pull a part this weekend- seems a little fishy 8)
Indeed it is, wonder if there was any takers?
VW VANAGON 1958 100
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:35 pm

Latest one, BodD in the AIC Tour of America, 2010 7th lap. I started this a few weeks ago with an idea of a raffle to contribute to the annual server fund. If ya'll have a better idea for it to contribute to the server fund, let me know.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

pb24ss
Old School!
Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

Post by pb24ss » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:03 pm

Sylvester wrote:Image
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
78 P22 Westy

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:42 pm

Sylvester, what kind of paint do you recommend for painting chrome hubcaps? Oil?
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:47 am

BellePlaine wrote:Sylvester, what kind of paint do you recommend for painting chrome hubcaps? Oil?
I use an enamel primer, then an enamel base coat, like white, then I use whatever I have.

vdubzen
Getting Hooked!

Post by vdubzen » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:25 am

very cool!!!!
1960 Karmann Ghia
1968 Deluxe Microbus
1973 Super Beetle
1974 Beetle

president, AAAVWclub.com

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:39 am

I am now doing old VW brochures, well sort of. I can't replicate a damn thing, so I make it my own. And another skeleton, my wife said he looked small, so I gave him hair, then set it on fire, and I was not thinking Johnny Blaze either. Nothing like a skeleton in the back of your Bug on fire.

Maybe next I will do some KdF action:

Or some Kombi love:

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:27 pm

Another skeleton, JB is his name. This is for a bomb wing in Europe insignia, I will have to look up who it is, it has been awhile since I painted this one.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:34 pm

Good to see more of your art. Keep it goin'! Those old beetles and buses look funny without side view mirrors. The Itinerant Tour art is too cool.
71 bus, 74 westy

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:19 pm

Birdibus wrote:Good to see more of your art. Keep it goin'! Those old beetles and buses look funny without side view mirrors. The Itinerant Tour art is too cool.
I love doing it. Perhaps someday they will be as sough after as a Monet. "Oh Reginald, I just bough my first Sylvester hubcap at Sotherby's. It's one during his depression years, it is called "Flaming Skeleton in the back of a 1959 Beetle". I think I am becoming an Impressionist, such as:
Characteristics of Impressionist paintings include visible brush strokes, open composition, emphasis on light in its changing qualities (often accentuating the effects of the passage of time), ordinary subject matter, the inclusion of movement as a crucial element of human perception and experience, and unusual visual angles

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:58 am

Latest hubcap, inspired by the old VW brochure.

And again, another appearance by JB the skeleton. This was a real ratty hubcap, hence the bumps in the paint. Der Kleinbus is the mini-bus.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:00 pm

And another VW ad. This will say "VW Cabrolet" This was a very rusty hubcap.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Sylvester wrote:"Cabrolet" This was a very rusty hubcap.
"Cabrolet" or "Cabriolet"?

Rusty hubcap . . . the bane of the artist is challenging materials. My favorite difficult material was paper that sopped up ink like a bleeding sponge when I needed to do very fine straight lines.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:06 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Sylvester wrote:"Cabrolet" This was a very rusty hubcap.
"Cabrolet" or "Cabriolet"?

Rusty hubcap . . . the bane of the artist is challenging materials. My favorite difficult material was paper that sopped up ink like a bleeding sponge when I needed to do very fine straight lines.
Colin
Spelling escapes me, but glad you pointed this out before I printed it on there.

Cabriolet or Cabrio: A type of convertible with only two doors, and thereby recalling the cabriolet carriage.

The curve of the cap, the indents, using latex on metal, is challenge enough. Lord help me when I start painting on more exotic materials such as canvas, paper, etc.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:49 pm

And just what Lord do you pray to "Art Cat" ? Just kiddin' and I do hope you adventure into the unknown media of canvas or paper, your free spirt of color and texture is inspiring to me. After Colins visit and advice of a bunch of useless vw parts, I will either take them to the dump, don,t want to, or paint them.

I was mistified by your post about physcrity (sp) on purpose . Do you think Im crazy because I needed to talk to someone about my daughters death? I have nobody to talk too that I trust. Please don,t be mean!
'69 weekender ~ Elwood