Your Other Cars?

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Your Other Cars?

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:34 pm

I have a couple of cars I dearly love besides the bus.

Bought this in 1994 for $3,000.00. My favorite road car back when Mercedes had real quality.
1978 Mercedes Benz 450SEL

Bought this in 1994 also. The quintessential American Car. Suicide doors and 5,200 lbs stopped by single circuit drum brakes. . . . . . .
1962 Lincoln Continental

This, unexpectedly, has been my most reliable car ever. It is my winter-beater and it has heated seats and a limited-slip differential for those sporting broadslides in the snow.
1993 BMW 525i

And the VWs, of course. I want to drive that Squareback! Just sitting in storage! Like all the others!
1973 both
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:35 am

I am currently driving a 1993 Ford Explorer Sport, 150,000 miles. Originally it was to be a temporary vehicle when my beautiful 1995 Nissan Altima was totalled while I was sitting still (Weird story). It has had weird things break on it (Drivers door lock and window at the same time), and of course the AC does not work, nice for Georgia. My wife drives a 2003 Honda Element. A neat car, very nice ride, 60,000 on it and no major problems yet. One thing, we had to replace the tires before 40,000 miles. This thing definately needs alignment at 30,000. And of course Samantha, still working the small issues with her, but indeed a fine example of a German made 1971 Westfalia.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:55 am

My other car is the bus. The kind that takes passes.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:02 am

DjEep wrote:My other car is the bus. The kind that takes passes.
I forgot to add that, I too take the bus and train to work. So I can read my books, currently on page 60 of Atlas Shrugged.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

Do you eat turtle wax for breakfast?

I think ya' missed a spot :geek:

:flower:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:00 am

Besides the bug and the bus we have two Subies. The AWD/5spd. combo is truly something to experience. Snow is now actually something to look forward to each year!

It's all about the gription (GRIP-shun) in a still practical, economical, everyday vehicle.

The 2.5 RS is truly a blast to drive, rain, snow, or shine. Rip that thing around a corner with the pedal held to the floor and you'll know why the seat bolsters are so deep!

The Forester doesn't feel like it has quite the same handling, but compared to the SUVs in its peer group its pretty much a slalom-car. Plus, fold the seats down and you have tons of space.

[albumimg]1255[/albumimg]

These cars are just quirky enough to have that bit of personality that I find lacking in most modern automobiles.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:13 am

Besides the Bus, my daily driver is a 1986 Volvo 240 DL in mint condition with 67k on the clock (yes I think my unborn daughter will be driving it in highschool). I love that car!! I expect to get another 200-300k out of it.

My wife drives a 1995 Toyota Corolla with 59k miles. I just change the oil every 2,500 miles, and it NEVER has let us down. Another great car!

People ask me why we drive such old cars - I just roll my eyes as I watch them make their high monthly payments on their sub-par automobiles. My cars are paid for and out perform most of them - not as fancy, but they get us from A to B just fine that you very much!
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:01 am

Nice cars, Colin. I love that "beater" BMW especially.

76 Westy

2003 Mazda Protege5 (not fast, but very sporty tuned suspension... a blast to drive... and 33 mpg)

[albumimg]1257[/albumimg]

2004 Subaru Forester (there are very few cars as reliable and useful as this, for those of us who like to get out into the wilderness on forest roads and such. Only gets 24 mpg though. this one's the wife's car.)

'97 XR400R
'87 Harley Softail Custom

Yup, three air-cooled machines in our family!

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:16 am

When the snow flies, the air-cooled VWs hibernate......

There's a lot I love about this car, including its excellent road manners and rock-solid construction. Oh, and the cool blue instrument lights!

[albumimg]1261[/albumimg]
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:40 am

1988 Chev Astro. "The Asstro Motel". Only vehicle I've ever bought new.

In 320,000 kms: one fuel pump, one rear engine seal, one starter motor, one set of plugs and one set of brake shoes. About 20 miles per USG if I'm sensible and over 500 miles per tank. Not as well travelled as Colin's bus, but it has seen most of the continent. RWD, it's a deathtrap in snow.

"Still running fine when I parked it." :cheers:

[albumimg]1256[/albumimg]
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:46 am

My other car is an 03 Honda Element with about 54K miles - its paid off which is nice and I expect it to go for quite some time. A funky looking vehicle but the functionality of it is excellent. It is simple and I have no need for any other vehicle plus the 4 wheel drive is fun in the snow. My wife leases a Honda accord for work and is quite happy with it. Her lease is up in a few months and we will probably have to get a vehicle with more space as we are thinking of having a third and final child - definitely no gas guzzling suv's, but a minivan? what other options exist?
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:00 am

Do matchbox cars count?
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:13 am

My three modes of transportation:
the blue vehicle is a tribute to Velokid1, the silver VW was at the right price at the right time, and the orange bus keeps on tickin'.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:14 am

spiffy wrote:Do matchbox cars count?
They do!

[albumimg]1112[/albumimg]

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:25 am

VWBusrepairman wrote:My three modes of transportation:
How many ears of corn can you fit in that Bus VWBR? Ain't ya got a fouth? I don't see a Hoosier mule hitched up to the side of the garage.