Greetings from Fort Lauderdale!

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Greetings from Fort Lauderdale!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:56 am

Hi all! I've been in Orlando the past week doing the Theme Park marathon and now am relaxing at the in-laws in Fort Lauderdale. No Internet access in Orlando - I've got some IAC catching up to do!

We flew to Orlando, and then I got to drive my in-laws' new Winnebago "View" RV from there to Lauderdale yesterday. It's on a Sprinter chassis and feels a lot like driving a big Westy: horizontal steering wheel, expansive view, and slow. We cruised at 60mph. It could have done more, but the fuel economy suffers at higher speeds and we weren't in a hurry.

It does have a few amenities a VW doesn't (understatement!) and I know my wife and kids are spoiled by an on-board bathroom! We'll be driving it from here to Ohio this Saturday, which should be a fun trip!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:05 am

:cheers: Wish we were out and about galavanting and freeway surfing.

How much does it take to fill up the tank(s)? :blackeye:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:09 pm

Actually, 26 gallons of diesel fuel fills the tank. With 6 people, all of their gear, and the A/C running, we averaged about 15mpg on the trip from Orlando to Lauderdale.

My Westy doesn't do much better than that!
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:02 pm

Well, I am flying into Miami tomorrow night on the way to jamaica for two weeks..
come on down to the airport for a beer as I am laying over for 3hrs.... :pukeleft:
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:04 pm

I'd would have loved to meet you for a beer, but today we visited the nice little reef just off the main beach in Lauderdale for a little snorkeling with the kids. Great fun, and lots of fish too!

I have spied two ACVWs since I've been here. One, in my in-laws parking garage, is a Beetle Convertible, late 70s vintage. Pretty nice. the other was someone's poorly executed attempt to turn a Beetle Convertible into a "roadster" with a Rolls-Royce grille and goofy bodywork to make it a "two seater". It was rather sad. No Bus sightings as yet.

Enjoy your time in Jamaica, MON!
Don

78 Westy

ZeppVW
Getting Hooked!

Re: Greetings from Fort Lauderdale!

Post by ZeppVW » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:41 pm

vwlover77 wrote:We'll be driving it from here to Ohio this Saturday, which should be a fun trip!
Where in Ohio are you traveling to?

Airstream actually has a motorhome that they produce on the sprinter chasis that has a Westafalia conversion. Definitely has more amenities than an air cooled westy :geek:
Keep on rockin' in the free world...

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: Greetings from Fort Lauderdale!

Post by Sylvester » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:43 am

ZeppVW wrote:
vwlover77 wrote:We'll be driving it from here to Ohio this Saturday, which should be a fun trip!
Where in Ohio are you traveling to?
I would guess North Canton. You know, that place where you say

"I live in North Canton, Ohio".
"Oh, where is that?"
Sigh, "Just below Cleveland."
"Cleveland, oh yeah I know Cleveland!"
Sigh
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:21 am

North Canton is my mailing address, but I actually live in unincorporated "Jackson Township". I consider the anonimity of our community a plus! We're a well-kept secret.....

Unfortunately, the area has been getting quite a bit of unwanted publicity lately with the Jesse Davis murder (the pregnant woman who went missing and was found murdered, apparently by her Canton police officer boyfriend).

For football fans, the Pro Football Hall-of-Fame is in Canton. Be sure to let me know if you are in the area!
Don

78 Westy

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:22 am

vwlover77 wrote: We're a well-kept secret.....
Not so secret anymore.

Mwahahaha!!!
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!