What VW related stuff are you doing this weekend?

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:30 am

Another weekend already??? I wish it was all weekends personally.
Ok this weekend the whole family is piling inta "Ma" and camping on the coast. Yay! Get out there whilst you can, Winter is putting on his steel toed boots.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:29 am

I'm gonna take the '71 Westy up to a county campground just west of Winters, CA (near Putah Creek) and meet up with a buddy who drives a Synchro.

I am predicting naps, drinking, eating, reading and campfires, not in that order. Oh, and I will probably have to read stories to his kids.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:35 pm

96* today in Baker CA. . . sunny too =D>
Off into the desert outside of Las Vegas tomorrow morning.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:43 am

It's rained 27 consecutive days since you left Portland...

tedebare
I'm New!

Post by tedebare » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:35 pm

This week-end my daughter is having a wedding shower on Sat.. Sat. night I am taking my 2 1/2 year old grandson on his first VW campout with a VW show on Sun. We are going to have a blast ( I hope).

slowtwitch
I'm New!

Post by slowtwitch » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:52 am

I'm headed to the local U-Pick-it. Nothing like a junk yard on an early Saturday morning :sunny:

pete

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:10 am

This weekend it's scrapers, vents & drivers & passenger windows. If I have time seals on the poptop & luggage rack.
-Russ

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:53 pm

House hunting, with girlfriend. her first criteria is a garage for my shop. God I love that girl! she loves cruising in my VW's. Last weekend we went looking in the buggy and I broke a CV joint horsing around. No problem call her kid to come get us. Funny, the 17 year old coming to the rescue of the 50 year olds, cleverly disguised as responsible adults. Today, in the drizzle, she wanted to take the Bus.

Bill

hambone

Post by hambone » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:26 am

Had a nice weekend BTW, beautiful weather. Bus ran well, but is starting to get a mini-KLUNK from the CVs when I start quickly under load (Colin noticed it earlier when he was here, thanks). Sounds like a U-joint going bad, I guess they're pretty much the same thing. Guess I'll pull the back end apart in the springtime and see what's up.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:18 pm

Time for round #3 =D>

The military bases around here have full auto shops with lifts and a full set of tools and they properly dispose of oils and such.....$5 an hour.
I have used them before when I want to NOT crawl around or when I want a clean environment to do the CV's or in this case I will drop the tranny pan and filter for a replacement and new ATF. Also get to put in the final drive gasket ($30 for that F$&@* thing!!!) yehah...the wonderful smell of old gear oil :pukeleft: ...and the final drive will get some new oil. I also take the time to poke around and lube everything up while things are easy to get at....should be a good day. :geek:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone

Post by hambone » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:15 am

$5 an hour that's pretty good. Sure beats working in the driveway.
I used to work in the street in Chicago, nothing worse than crawling under a beetle into the black sludge of 100 years of auto drips. Nasty.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:09 pm

hambone wrote:$5 an hour that's pretty good. Sure beats working in the driveway.
I used to work in the street in Chicago, nothing worse than crawling under a beetle into the black sludge of 100 years of auto drips. Nasty.
Sounds like the street in front of my house from the neighbors friends who have nothing but oil spewing jalopies....

Yep.....$5 they even do bead blasting and wheel balancing.....whodathunk?
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:32 pm

hambone wrote: I used to work in the street in Chicago, nothing worse than crawling under a beetle into the black sludge of 100 years of auto drips. Nasty.
I don't mind the sludge that much, it's the worrying that some goof, on a cell phone or changing his cd, veers a bit to the side and takes you out. Probably wouldn't even know it they did...

Be working in the alley myself. Not much better, but a bit safer. Hoping to take the ride out and do the ring break in routine. I could use some help with getting the carbs right, but that's what learning's all about, right. I'll muck around until I get the hang of it.