What Kind Of Idiot ...

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

What Kind Of Idiot ...

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:33 am

Yes, that was me in the shoplifting video circulating around the internet.

The question is:
What kind of idiot would throw a seventeen year career that he loves into mortal danger over an ice cream sandwich and two pieces of string cheese?

The answer is:
A person who needs to seriously work on a wounded inner nature that manifests in this shameful way.

"You're just ashamed because you got caught!"
Exactly.
I was not ashamed of stealing food from convenience stores (yes, I had a list of childish rationalizations) until this grotesquely shameful video showed up in front of thousands of people. That did it. That sure did it.

I am mortified beyond words, humiliated half to death, in the midst of deep agony that will not let up yet, and I am crestfallen to have damaged friendships that I cherish. This is the worst part by far.

I must fix this for real and aspire to help it be a painfully teachable moment for others who have similar impulses. If you have any comments or observations, you please PM me.

I have called the Medina OH Police Department to ask them how do I answer to this and how might I make it right with Shue's Marathon (I only get a busy signal so far).

I apologize to all members of this forum and all who have given me this career and so many joyful moments of real friendship.

What kind of idiot ...
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bus71
Addicted!

Re: What Kind Of Idiot ...

Post by bus71 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:40 am

I wish I could have have come up with an articulate response earlier this a.m. I just want you to know you have my support. The vitriol and hate being spewed is way out of proportion to said events. This seems to be microcosm of the hate that has caused so much division in our country. In addition, the attacks of many are based on what is an obvious dislike for you personally. I'm not on social media and have not posted anything one way or the other. Even the slightest hint of support for you seems to have just spawned more hate.
You are welcome to contact me at anytime. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" the bible. "The lady dost protest too much, methinks" Shakespeare, Hamlet.
Chris

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:22 am

You're still welcome in my home.
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:28 am

We all have our demons.

BusBerd
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBerd » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:00 pm

We are all a work in progress, Colin. Anyone who says different is either lying, trying to sell you something, or just an asshole. Get the help you need. Throw the baggage off your back that you have been carrying around for too long. Leave it behind you. And move forward.
I'm still here.
1977 VW Westfalia Campmobile
2.0L Engine
Fuel Injected
Manual Transmission

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:52 pm

I feel for you. We all mess up. In this day and age, we get to mess up in front of the entire world, or at least in front of all of the people who care to pay attention to our mistakes. It's brutal. Good luck on your journey to healing the part of you that needs it.

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Post by appetite » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:01 am

I don't judge a person by their worst day.

Colin, I agree with bus71, and I urge you to avoid the thread on thesamba. It is simply a public shaming.

You have my support.

James

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:26 am

I don't play in the basement over there, so my first awareness of this was from Colin himself. That says a lot to me.

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:28 am

appetite wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:01 am
I don't judge a person by their worst day.

Colin, I agree with bus71, and I urge you to avoid the thread on thesamba. It is simply a public shaming.

You have my support.

James
Yep, it's a train wreck over there.

Own up to it and move on.

I will support IAC going forward.
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:48 am

A good friend has told me, "you will know who your friends are in this moment." It is an agonizing process. The good news is that I have friends in deeply appreciated and unexpected places.

The self-loathing tells me that I am no friend to myself right now. I have never hated casting an eye on myself with quite the revulsion that I have in this moment seeing that horrible video.

A real benefit to this sh*tshow on You-Tube and on the forums, is that it has blasted my ego to fricken bits. There's no ego left when you are so damn ashamed that waking up is the nightmare and you can't even eat an apple without choking up for the poor thing to be associated with you.

Shame is a beautiful thing. It is teaching me that I am human.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

andrewtf
I'm New!

Post by andrewtf » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:58 pm

Colin,

What everyone above me said...............

You can raise yourself above this fray, my friend.

Andrew

KentPS
I'm New!

Post by KentPS » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:06 pm

Hi Colin-
I haven't met you yet, but would have no qualms about working with you and getting to know you.
The vehemence expressed on The Samba is uncalled for, in my opinion. As others have said... deal with it and move on.
Kent

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Colin, empathize with your situation. I have to also say that your generosity (especially related to your time, knowledge, and spare bits and bobs), mentorship, and overall willingness to share and listen have meant a good deal to me. Despite the current situation, I know you are a man of integrity and humility. PM sent...
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:41 pm

We all have our weaknesses, some that put people in far more danger than yours. I support you and hope everything can be resolved quickly and to the satisfaction of all the parties involved. Apparently, even the air-cooled VW community, which I would think would be the most likely to show some empathy for one of its most knowledgeable and generous members, can't help but join the feeding frenzy.

I live 35 miles from Shue's Marathon. If I can assist you in contacting them or the local authorities, please let me know.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:19 pm

I was disappointed when I first learned of this. Now back online fully to catch up on all of the threads, and I find myself disgusted with some people's responses to it all. The 'old school' VW community has pushed most of the new bus owners over to places away from sites like these and instead over to Facebook/Twitter/IG instead, where the advice is terrible but where all of the old school know-it-all pricks are hovering around looking to bash anyone/anything at the first opportunity to do so.

This whole event has shed a light on parts of the community that just aren't working for me.
1979 California Transporter